Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing live primers

I was given over 1,000 rounds of surplus ammo. Stamp on box says, "PA 33, 50 Cartridges, Mark 2z, C.I.A. (P), POF, 26 Jun 1974". See attached image.

Most (9 out of 10) of the rounds won't even fire due to bad primers. Is it safe to remove the primer with my die set as if they were spent or should I just cycle them through my semi auto to deactivate them? Can the deprimer rod activate these primers from the other end with under pressure from my press? I really just want the brass and bullets to reload.

post-25481-090046200 1305121409_thumb.jp

I was given over 1,000 rounds of surplus ammo. Stamp on box says, "PA 33, 50 Cartridges, Mark 2z, C.I.A. (P), POF, 26 Jun 1974". See attached image.

Most (9 out of 10) of the rounds won't even fire due to bad primers. Is it safe to remove the primer with my die set as if they were spent or should I just cycle them through my semi auto to deactivate them? Can the deprimer rod activate these primers from the other end with under pressure from my press? I really just want the brass and bullets to reload.

My experience with old ammo is that it works.

Don't know why 90% of yours don't.

But, I wouldn't try to remove the primers - I'd

look at my gun to see if a spring is faulty and

not setting the ammo off?

But I wouldn't try to remove those primers.

Good luck,

Jack

I wouldn't try to remove those primers.

All I needed to hear. Much appreciated!

So, the game plan is to use the bullet puller, discard the powder since I have no idea what kind it is, and load my high capacity mags with the brass. I'll look a tad silly racking my auto after every round but I figured that would be the safest method.

There is a good chance those cases are berdan-primed. If so, the brass isn't usable for reloading (berdan primers have a completely different configuration, not interchangeable). Even if it is boxer-primed, there are significant risks involved in depriming live primers. When priming cases, primers are "armed" when the seating process sets the anvil against the priming compound. Depriming is very likely to cause the primer to ignite, especially with crimped primer pockets that virtually all military brass has. The greatest dnger is from allowing live primers to accumulate in the spent primer catch cup. Many commercial loaders have suffered grevous injuries when depriming live primers, as the primer that goes off sets off the primers in the cup. The effect is similar to having a small grenade go off. If you really must do this, at least fill the spent primer cup with water, and dump it when primers get close to reaching above the water level. This will minimize the risk of igniting all the primers in the catch cup. :surprise:

Good info, is it ok to discharge primer only cases in a gun?

Brings me back to when I was a kid shooting cap guns ;)

I've done it at home a few times when I've crunched a case in stage 2 or 3 of my press.

They are surprisingly loud so wear your ear protection.

I figured it would be loud. I have some 22lr from Aguila (super colibris) which is basically a powderless 22lr bullet.

Out of a rifle, it's airgun quiet. I tried it out of a pistol... And let's just say I went back in the house real fast for fear of someone callingthe cops!

I have had a couple of poor reloads for what ever reason :wacko: ,where I could not reuse the case but I had set a live primer into it already.

I was told not to try and remove a live primer and to fill the case with WD-40.

I would assume the WD-40 soaks the active ingredient in the primer and renders it inactive.

Would this be the correct method of disposal. Of course I throw them in a coffee can filled with old motor oil and let them soak for a couple of days before I poor it all down the storm drain.

:surprise: just kidding !! about the storm drain, not the WD40.

Thanks for all your help cheers :cheers:

I have removed live primers from a few cases and never had a problem with RCBS single stage presses and a manuel lee tool. Make sure you wear goggles. Surplus ammo usually has crimped in primers which would make it more difficult and higher pressure to remove. I would not recommend using a Dillon multistage press to remove live primers. Since you have so many to remove I would take the suggesting of firing them first. Good Luck

I have deprimed several cases. Typically happens when I dork up loading the round (for whatever reason) on my 650 or if I pick up someone elses live round after a match and just want the brass.

I put the case in stage 1 of the 650 and pull down the handle. Primer goes into the catch basin. Simple to do.

I say they are lucky, if it's 1 or 2 then you gotta ask yourself WHAT AM I REALY SAVING.

In your situation the odd's of a bad experience goes way up because of the number of them.

Follow what you think, but I think you don't want to post a tread titled "LEARN FROM MY LESSON".

Edited by Powder Finger

i just removed 769 live primers with a single stage press and a universal decaping die. go slow and you shouldnt have a problem. no kabooms on mine. the reason i did it was because it was new unfired 38sc and i didnt know what primers were in them. i bought them primed from an individual. so its doable if you really want to. if they are crimped in its a little different be very carefull. if its berdan then just throw them away.

Edited by snake32