Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of attending a classifier match

FNilo

I have never shot a USPSA match or even attended a match. I was a avid PPC shooter in the past but traveling for work forced it on the back burner. I have been wanting to try USPSA shooting for the past year but the job has been getting in the way. There is a local match this weekend that I would be able to attend but it is a classifier match. I have been doing LOTS of reading on this site (more than I should admit) and have read the rule book. I have been shooting firearms for most of my life and I understand that safety is #1 but would a classifier match be to much for a newbee?

I really want to try out this sport. Looks like a blast! (no pun intended)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Frank

I have never shot a USPSA match or even attended a match. I was a avid PPC shooter in the past but traveling for work forced it on the back burner. I have been wanting to try USPSA shooting for the past year but the job has been getting in the way. There is a local match this weekend that I would be able to attend but it is a classifier match. I have been doing LOTS of reading on this site (more than I should admit) and have read the rule book. I have been shooting firearms for most of my life and I understand that safety is #1 but would a classifier match be to much for a newbee?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Frank

Normally, the classifier stages are the easiest ones of the match. They usually have less movement and little or nothing to game. Just stand and deliver for the most part with some mag changes, strong hand, weak hand sprinkled in. However, if you end up shooting most of them at 25% or so, it could take you a long time to average your way out of "D" class.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Frank

Sorry for the double tap.

Edited by SV-COP

Classifier matches are a great start. Gives you a classification right off the bat so you know where you stand. Depending on which classifers they choose, you will be tested in a wide range of shooting skills and you can find out what you are good at and what your weaknesses are. It is usually a lower round count day than normal matches and there is less planning to worry about (most classifier tell you when you need to reload, how to engage target, etc so you dont have to think up a game plan yourself).

Go for it!!

gotta get your feet wet some time, why not a classiire match?? if you are already a USPSA member, like Corey said, heym you will be classified pretty much right offthe bat...also like was said before thay usually are the smaller of stages, no not a lot of stage planning to screw up hehehe go on out and have fun!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing myself and I've gotten a lot of feedback saying the same thing. I guess the majority of people I've spoken to including the RO's at the local ranges and the members on the forum can't be wrong! :D

What do you think?

Thanks,

Frank

Shoot the match, you will have a great time! What club is running the match?

Mike

The match is at the DSC in Utica, MI. I have been there in the past shooting in the archery broadhead league.

I would like to go on Saturday morning (Sunday is the match) to help set up and learn a few things before the match but I don't know if members of the club are only allowed to set up and take down.

If anyone is going to this match, look for the new guy if you can. I don't know anyone in this sport and it is nice to meet new friends and ask questions if possible.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Frank

Go shoot, be safe, and have fun. Concentrate on your hits...speed will come later. Even if you get classified as a D or C class shooter, then all you have to do is look forward and up in class. You got to start somewhere...so go Start!

I would like to go on Saturday morning (Sunday is the match) to help set up and learn a few things before the match but I don't know if members of the club are only allowed to set up and take down.

Frank

Frank,

At my club we hardly ever turn down offers of help, especially when it is FREE help. Club membership is immaterial when compared to willing and able helpers! This is a volunteer sport, and runs on the sweat of those willing to pitch in a help.

I can't say what that club's rules are, but I doubt they would turn down the offer of free help. Hopefully they'll reciprocate and help you out if you tell them this will be your first match.

Good luck and have fun!

I have been doing LOTS of reading on this site (more than I should admit) and have read the rule book.

Right there you did waaay more than I did before my first match.

If you don't go shoot it, you will regret it later.

Be safe, have fun.

Eventually you'll join USPSA, join now so that way after this match you will be classified!

Join NOW!!

$40/ year. Or if you can go 5 year to Life if you have the $$$.

Plus classifiers are greatest way to shoot your first match. take your time and you'll be fine.

Can I join today and have the classifiers count this weekend?

I think they just put you in as pending and then update your scores later when you get your number.

I will hopefully be there Sunday. Not 100% yet though. Trying to sell a house is not my favorite thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone remembers their first match, good or bad. The knowledge you will get from other shooters will surprise you. My shooting partners are like my second family, which is true for most shooters I believe.

Edited by bigstick0000