Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead

I know that some out there may think that you're not a real man unless you're willing to pick your teeth with a lead sliver. Also, I know that the discussion of lead tests coming back positive probably cries out for a round of jokes comparing them to pregnancy tests. Go ahead with such comments. I understand the necessity. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a good solution for this problem. (A solution that doesn't include the admonition: "MTF up and pick your teeth with the lead sliver already!")

I know the following test wasn't exactly "scientific," but the results were a little disturbing.

I just started reloading (Dillon 550, 45ACP). I'm using lead bullets because they are so much cheaper than anything else. After shooting about 100 rounds in practice the other day, I used one of those basic lead test kits (stick with some chemical solution inside and a cotton swab on end) on my hands to see if there was lead residue. Not surprisingly, there was. In and of itself, that was not so disturbing. More disturbing was the fact that the test remained positive even after I washed my hands about a dozen times over the course of two hours (using soap and baking soda). I finally used Hoppe's solvent and baking soda, and the test came back negative.

Is there a better, more efficient way to get this stuff off? My wife is supportive of my hobby, but Hoppe's is not her first, second, or even third preference in bathroom deodorizers. I don't want to pay more for jacketed bullets (especially since you're still going to have some lead residue after shooting FMJs).

Thanks

You are correct sir. The real source of much of the lead residue that we as shooters have to be vigilant of, actually comes from the primers themselves. Lead styphnate is widely used in many different brands of primers.

I recommend using some form of D-Lead soap to remove the lead residues we come into contact with, both at the range, and in cleaning & handling firearms at home.

D-Lead hand soap

D-Lead Cleaning Products

D-Lead Abrasive Hand Soap

D-Lead Soap from Dillon

PS Somebody makes a bar type hand soap, but I can not seem to find it. :(

I work for ATK, worked in the primer assembly department for over 3 years and even making more than a million primers per night, the lead levels were well below anything that would cause any kind of damage to an adult. We use Boraxo and Dawn dish soap mixed together about every 3 hours (at breaks and the end of the day). I do not doubt that you had some residue on you but the difference between residue and dangerous levels is HUGE. Good luck on your reloading and shooting man!

So you have some lead on your hands and then you use a solvent to promote introduction through your skin, not to mention the solvent hazards? Not smart at all!

There is a lot of "marketing" hype out there related to the lead wipes and soap, and not a lot of sound science, beware...

I load a bunch of lead, and shoot quite a bit... The big risk is in small particualte inhalation and that is most associated with firing rounds or dry sweeping a range. I am a bit surprised about your test results, but as posted above, I dont think the answer is using solvent on your skin. I asked my doctor years ago to screen my blood tests for lead during my annual physicals. The tests have always been negative. I just clean well after loading with an abrasive soap.

I load a bunch of lead, and shoot quite a bit... The big risk is in small particualte inhalation and that is most associated with firing rounds or dry sweeping a range. I am a bit surprised about your test results, but as posted above, I dont think the answer is using solvent on your skin. I asked my doctor years ago to screen my blood tests for lead during my annual physicals. The tests have always been negative. I just clean well after loading with an abrasive soap.

You might want to get a 2nd opinion on that lead test. Lead blood levels, are generally referred to with numbers, like 0-30 with 1-10 being relatively safe, 10-20 elevated, 20-30 dangerous, etc.

Not Positive or Negative. I'm just saying I would ask what my "number" was when I talked to my doctor again.

For a truly accurate lead test go to a lab of some sort. I go to the lab at the local hospital. My first lead test was taken at my family doctor. Apparently not many people request this test, since there was some confusion with the test. After doing some research my doctor suggested having the test done at the hospital lab. If I recall correctly, he thought the lead used to make the glass tube used to collect the blood may have affected the results. The lead levels from the second test were lower than the first, so he may have been correct.

I ran the test before I started casting.. it was a 4, I had it tested again after I'd cast and remelted ww's into ingots and cast bullets for a year.. level is STILL @ 4. I wear a glove while reloading, mostly due to not wanting the bullet lube on my hand. I wash before eating after shooting or casting.. I shoot outdoors only... that's about it.

Simmer down folks. It's all pretty easy. Because we play with lead and have other "exposures", it is a good idea to just ask your Doctor to add a lead test to the blood work we all should be getting with our annual physical. If it comes back high message me and I will purchase all of your ammo and shooting/reloading stuff at a steeply discounted price (because of the toxic residue all over it).

You might want to get a 2nd opinion on that lead test. Lead blood levels, are generally referred to with numbers, like 0-30 with 1-10 being relatively safe, 10-20 elevated, 20-30 dangerous, etc.

Not Positive or Negative. I'm just saying I would ask what my "number" was when I talked to my doctor again.

I got a good Doc.... I was a lazy typer. He delivers a printout with the numbers. The numbers for lead have always been on the lowest end. It actually has a bar graph for slower students like me. The one for lead is blank on the bar graph. That pleases me.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, well that's good to hear. I just got my results back from my doctor, and I'm at 12 right now. A couple months ago I had it checked and it was 13, so I now have a baseline, plus a 2nd opinion to back up the first test. Lead levels should be checked annually, or more often if you shoot quite a bit.

EDTA is a food preservative and a dandy lead scavenger. It's used for chelation in a dextrose and water solution delivered IV drip. I think that there are wipes you can get from Midway as I recall and they are useful for cleaning up around where you load too. Richard Lee mentions this in Modern Reloading. If you would like to help remove lead from your body, remember that Cilantro (Coriander) is a natural chelator as well as vitamin C (the ester kind which costs more (naturally) is most efficient). Good for you any way. Linus Pauling was a VERY smart guy. Swanson Vitamin, in Fargo ND is an old and respected supplement company. They carry a chelator called Metal-Shield which is very effective at removing heavy metals from the intestines, which is the major pathway to eliminate it anyway. Makes it work much better. There is literature on it at Swansons that discusses how it works and the history. It's European in origin, of course. If you chip away at it with deliberation, it's not too difficult to keep your blood levels at acceptable levels. The major exposure we all have is as a result of fallout from coal fired power plants and environmental pollutants. The stuff is all over the place. So much for shooters having the burden of "saving the California Condor".

You used a "test." Do you know what false positives it has? Did you check your wife's hands? Someone at work? Was it EPA of FDA approved?

You do know that, at least until any recent EPA "need to prove we are needed" unscientific requirements, that the medical industry was quite happy with "don't smoke, eat or drink while reloading or shooting and wash your hands after."

I've been smelting lead and casting lead bullets and shooting lead for 35+ years and my blood lead is 6.

If you worry, have a blood test. However, your blood lead level almost certainly is NOT from shooting.

Think back to the good old days of tetraethyl-lead in all the gasoline and being spewed into the air.

Then, when you decide to worry, look at the risk of driving to work.

As your mother told you: Wash your hands before eating.

Just use common sense. Don't eat anything while reloading wash the heck out of your hands after you are done. Fast orange seems to do the trick. Try to limit your time in indoor ranges. That's what really made a difference for me. I went from around 40 down to low teens just cutting out weekly trips to the indoor range. I kinda miss hanging out there but I don't miss tingling fingertips

a bunch of yrs ago i was mandated to take a blood testfor lead because i worked at an indoor shooting range(mind you , atthe time i was shooting 9 matches a month, and practicing indoors after work 4 nites a week, oh anddry sweeping the range, yeah all adding up tothe perfect storm) the test came back VERY positive, like 87 parts parts per decalitre of blood, under went kelation(sp) therapy(made me sick as a dog) points dropped intothe 40's, stopped shooting indoors(or did it w/ a mask) stopped dry sweeping the range(did it in a tyvek suit an mask) reload with gloves and WASH lots...and my tests are in the single digits...