Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Magazines

rhgunguy

I run a SP-01 Custom and I love it. But I am getting more serious about my shooting so I need to pick up more mags so I can do major matches.

Boy was I shocked as heck to find out they want $50 a pop for them. Or I could backorder a 3 pack from cz-usa for $150! I know I'm being stupid considering how much I have in the gun to gripe about $50 a mag; but come on, really!?!?

What makes a CZ mag worth twice as much as an XDm or Glock mag?

16 round mec gars can be gotten cheap. Gregcotellc.com has them for 22. The old non-afc are what I use. Don't forget the rubber base pads too, or the 3 dollar beretta factory ones also fit. Cdnninvestments.com also has sales. If you have to have the longer mags, mecgar also sells one. Czusa used to have a 3 for 99 special.

16 round mec gars can be gotten cheap. Gregcotellc.com has them for 22. The old non-afc are what I use. Don't forget the rubber base pads too, or the 3 dollar beretta factory ones also fit. Cdnninvestments.com also has sales. If you have to have the longer mags, mecgar also sells one. Czusa used to have a 3 for 99 special.

Or the MecGar 19 round mags for about $35 each

Here's the best deal going, but it's Botach so they'll either show up in a week or so no problem, or well... they'll forget to ship 'em and it'll take a month or be out of stock: http://www.botachtactical.com/meczpima.html

The factory 19rounders are hard to find for less than $50 or so, I sure wish cz-usa would run that 3 for $90 special again soon...

Edited by ck1

botach = rolling hte dice lol

No freakin' doubt. I've got a pile of tacti-cool Eotac stuff that I don't even really need showing up on Friday in exchange for some stuff that was out-of-stock that I ordered so long ago that I can't even remember what it was...

That said, I did score 6 17rd AFC's for $120 with free shipping and they showed up.

Edited by ck1

Hey guys, the 3 mags that the Shadow Custom comes with are 19 rounders?

If so, is this what I'll want to get?

http://www.cdnninves...9mm19seanm.html

That looks like it already had the rubber/plastic boot at the bottom which the ones that come with the Shadow also have?

That's not the same basepad as the factory mags, but will work fine.

Do any of these aftermarket mags work with the custom shops slide release?

All of my CZs are Custom Shop guns and the 19rd Mec-Gar AFC work great with their slide release. The only way they don't work is if you have a magwell. With magwell the Mec-Gar Plus2 base pad on the stock CZ 19rd tube works even better then the cut down stock base pads with 10% stronger springs of course and you then get 20rds.

Let me ask this....what mags can you buy that are the same as the ones that come with the shadow (and that aren't $50 from CZ)? I'm going to start USPSA this summer, but have never competed. I would think you'd want all of the mags to be identical? Is that a big deal?

You probably want all your mags the same size, basepads, for familiarity. The 16 round Mec-gars are very nice, some say nicer than CZ.

Some people like the shorter mags, rather than the longer ones. In any case I've heard the springs in the 18 round CZ SP-01 mags take some maintenance to keep going, although I never really had any issues with my low mileage gun.

If you want 18 or 19 rounders I'd buy the Mec-gar with AFC.

Edited by sfinney

the longer mags... people have told me they're easier to insert, but beats me. more of a preference thing. but i agree with sfinney, a lot of people say their springs need to be changed more often. i have seen a couple who had t ogo through their springs.. whereas mine have been fine the past season and a half.

truthfully..while the factory 19rnd SP01 mags are nice mags and are useful if you are setting up a Limited minor gun and setting up for 23-24 rounds.

but for shooting production and only needing 10rnds, then they are kind of an unnecessary expense.

I generally run the mecgar 16rnd mag with a CZ rubber baseplate or a Beretta 92 competition rubber baseplate. the pads add enough length to insure the mag is seated.

just my opinion as these mags are around $20 each.

Besides for capacity like running Limited-minor or something like Stu mentioned, another reason I to stick with the Factory SP/Shadow-style 19rd mags can be how they work with one's grip index depending on the shooter...

In my case, I really like the factory 19rd basepads as they enable me to get the same kind of "lock-up" with my support-hand that one gets when running a magwell-equipped gun, and for that reason I far and away prefer shooting/running the gun using these particular mags over the others (even the 19rd AFC's which feel different).

Now that said, yeah, the factory 19 rounders are much more expensive which is lame and it's true that the supplied springs are indeed weak, which is also lame (they pretty much require replacement +15% springs after not very long), so unless the way the factory basepad feels means a whole lot to you the Mec-Gar options are better not only money-wise, but quality-wise as well IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some factory Shadow mags (5) that have a couple of seasons on them,

They came with a back up gun I picked up and are un needed

I wonder what a fair price would be when I get around to selling them?

After reading around on here I picked up 3 Mec-Gar AFC 19-round magazines to go with the 3 factory mags that came with my new Shadow. I have yet to get any rounds through the new mags, but they seem to function fine and, while the basepad profile is a little different, I don't foresee it being a problem. The one thing that is annoying me, however, is that they are slightly larger than the factory mags. I don't have my calipers here, but I made up some kydex mag pouches while using the CZ mags as a form, and the MG mags are much tighter going in the same pouches.

It appears the only difference is that the MG mags have "boxier" corners, and the CZ mags are more rounded. I do not expect this to be a serious issue, just a little annoying when certain mags have certain holders. I assume the nicer mag pouches place the tensions on the sides of the mags as opposed to the edges, but I guess that's just the advantage you get when you buy nicer pouches.

Just checking on a place called Top Gun Top Gun that has the 17 round Mec Gar with the antifriction coating (not sure if that helps or hurts) for $24.95 and they are in stock. I am somewhat OCD and have 17 mags total for my production and backup guns. Do the CZ 19 rounder for ym 11 round start mag and then the 17 rounders for the rest. So far have used in twenty matches or so without a hitch. Also have five of the 10 rounders which makes it easer in the loading since you don't have to count. Like the bigger mags though since it give the mag a little "breathing room" for the feed.

Edited by gunshrink

• 5 weeks later...

+1. Thank you for the recommendation. :cheers: I just experienced a flawless transaction with gregcotellc.com. Ordered on Friday and everything showed up today. CZ 19rd AFC Mec-Gars for $28.95 and factory Glock 17/rd magazines for $23.95 and he even had the Mec-Gar Plus Two base pads in stock. I am impressed.

• 4 months later...

Not trying to resurrect a dead thread, but I just ordered 5 mags from gregcotellc.com and had to tell you about it. I placed the order at 5:54 PM and got an email at 6:31 PM indicating they had been shipped. Holy cow, that is fast! MidwayUSA has nothing on Greg!