Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inserting mag with bolt forward

Robert King

I am going through all my gear, getting ready for Iron Man. Today I was putting my initials on and numbering all my magazines. In testing them, I noticed that I can not insert a magazine on a closed bolt, if the bullet is on the left. It is ok if the bullet is on the right. I tested 5 different mags and all had the same issue. Any idea what I should be looking for to resolve the issue? I have not tried it on another gun yet, going to do that tonight.

If the bullet is on the right (when looking at the primers) you have an even number of rounds. If its on the left, you have an odd number. Most likely you have 31 rounds in a 30 round mag (or 21 in a 20).

30rd Pmags will hold 31 rounds but won't seat under a closed bolt in any of my guns.

Hurley

Yes, they have some "play" left in the spring so if you put the plastic "cover" on them, it will fully close.

If it has a window, I drew a black line on mine to know when to stop stuffing rounds down there.

Or invest in some stripper clips!

I am going through all my gear, getting ready for Iron Man. Today I was putting my initials on and numbering all my magazines. In testing them, I noticed that I can not insert a magazine on a closed bolt, if the bullet is on the left. It is ok if the bullet is on the right. I tested 5 different mags and all had the same issue. Any idea what I should be looking for to resolve the issue? I have not tried it on another gun yet, going to do that tonight.

I always download my Ar mags by one round to aid in reloading and reliability.

Pat

I always download my Ar mags by one round to aid in reloading and reliability.

Pat

This!!. I've learned this lesson the hard way. Nothing like messing with a mag when the timer drops b/c it just won't seat no matter how hard you slam it.

I've noticed on some ARs that I can't insert a full mag (or even 28) on a closed bolt by slamming it. I've slammed the mags so hard that I've some how dislodged rounds from the mag which I would think was impossible since the bolt is closed, but hey, Murphy is always just hanging around. Anyway, on these difficult rifles it seems to work much better if I beer can hold the mag and firmly push (not slam) the mag while directing most of the energy at the rear of the magwell if that makes any sense. That works every time with my DPMS whereas slamming doesn't. YMMV, but you might try it out and see if that works for you, too.

Thanks guys, but that is not the issue. It happens even if I put just 4 or 5 rounds in the mag.

So now are you saying it happens no matter which side the round is on? How about empty? What are the specifics of the rifle you are having this problem? What lower, bolt carrier, mag catch, bolt catch, etc. Does it happen with the upper removed? Does it happen with GI aluminum mags?

There is absolutely no reason once so ever to have to download P-mags. They were designed to hold 30 rounds and will seat reliably in a rifle without problem. If they will not, there is a problem with the rifle. Downloading a mag as a fix is not something I would consider acceptable.

I once had a lower that refused to seat p-mags without great effort. It turned out to be a magcatch slot that was a couple thousandths too high in the lower. I carefully filed of a little from the top of the mag catch were it engages the magazine and all was good.

I did a bunch of testing this week. If I insert the mag, full or not, and add a little pressure to the rear it will seat. If I put it in and just slap the bottom of the mag, it will not seat on a closed bolt. So, inserting it in a slower and deliberate fashion works. It happens consistently on my Firebird Upper that is on a PWS lower. It also happens on my box stock LWRC, but not as picky as the other.

Last question, and I may have your answer. Do you have this issue with the bolt locked back? I looked at all your previous posts and you never said. You have stated with bolt forward.

If you still have a little trouble seating P-mags with the bolt locked back, in all likely hood the bevel on the front inside of the magwell may be slightly interfearing with the radious on the front of the P-mag. The bevel on many lowers is just a touch too little and a few seconds with a file will usually allow the mag to go in enough to engage the mag catch without interferance with the front of the magwell.

+1 on the above posts about putting 31 rds in.

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure that a bullet tip wasnt hanging out over the front edge of the mag? If a round migrates forward, it will be prevented from going down inside the mag body.

+1 on the above posts about putting 31 rds in.

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure that a bullet tip wasnt hanging out over the front edge of the mag? If a round migrates forward, it will be prevented from going down inside the mag body.

Occam's Razor: usually the right answer is the simplest one.

Sidenote: this is why on some older war movies you'll see soldiers banging the mag on their kevlar, or on the leg/side of the gun. It's hitting the back of the mag to knock all the bullets back into line in the mag so they don't overhang..