Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you enhance an m&p grip without tape?

ckfarris

I am looking for somebody that might know how to stipple or enhance an m&p grip without using grip tape. I have heard of the soldering iron tricks but I didn't know if anybody had any other ideas.

I bought an extra backstrap and stippled it using a hobby soldering iron purchased at Harbor Freight. It came with at least 6 different ends. Look up the instructions G-ManBart has on stippling the STI grips. I did put grip tape on the front but I have seen lots of M&P's stippled in the front. Get a piece of scrap plastic like an old screwdriver and try the different tips.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67691&hl=stippling&st=0

Edited by z40acp

What division are you shooting?

If you're in Production, and do decide to stipple (or even tape, for that matter), make sure you only do it in the spots allowed by the rules.

As was asid, stippling is forever. I have a Para P-16 with plastic grips that are stippled, and if I don't like them, or they wear down, it's as easy as replacing them with other ones. Replacing a frame is not as easy for a solder gone crazy.

Like was also said, practice on other things. I stippled the switch on an old flashlight, and a couple of other little plastic things I had sitting around to practice. It's not hard, but it's a long process too..

I don't know that stippling adds as much grip as some might like. I prefer skateboard tape, but it peels off too readily. In the end, my solution was to degrease the grip, apply epoxy resin (with a small amount of black paint mixed in for color) and then sprinkle on aluminum oxide grit that someone on this site sent me for free (nice guy). Use masking tape to keep the epoxy where you want it.

The grip is excellent, and the epoxy seems to have a rock solid bond. I only apply grit where the heel of my support hand presses on the side of the grip (I like less grip for my shooting hand so I can adjust for an imperfect draw), so I only glued onto the removable grip insert... here are some photos:

MP9Pro.jpg

MP9ProGripGrit.jpg

I did something similar but more extensive on my grip-modified (i.e. not Production-legal) home defense Glock 22:

Glock22HomeDefense.jpg

Glock22BackstrapGrit.jpg

Glock22FrontstrapGrit.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

You can find a lot of information about DIY and I can always help if you want to have it professionally done. If you try it yourself and it doesn't turn out the way you wanted we might still be able to salvage it.

The Stippling I do is called "Tree bark pattern" and it offers more than grip tape and works great. Here is a picture of my limited M&P

24zj8tt.jpg

It looks like you have stippling or something on the 2nd "hill" of the front serrations, is that dremeled/soldered? Or just a funky glare from the camera?

If so, how'd you stipple the actual slide itself?

The Stippling I do is called "Tree bark pattern" and it offers more than grip tape and works great. Here is a picture of my limited M&P

24zj8tt.jpg

It looks like you have stippling or something on the 2nd "hill" of the front serrations, is that dremeled/soldered? Or just a funky glare from the camera?

If so, how'd you stipple the actual slide itself?

The only thing I think you are seeing is the M&P logo that was there. I was checking weight removed from the slide and liked the way this felt so I didn't go back and remove the logos also. If I were to do it again I would have kept it at this weight but took some of the slide where the logo was to remove all engraved parts.

Not sure if another response is merited or not.

We've been doing this on customer guns since 98. It's possible to do it yourself (afterall that is how we started). However it's a risky business... not so much wiht an M&P as with a Glock but still a chance you take. Why... You ask? Then you haven't do enough of then

m to know the answer.

No is currently doing STI grips that aren't directly copying the work we started and then same holds true for many other polymer framed guns. We didn't start the Glock work, but we do it for less and with more attention to detail. The same holds true for the M&P line of pistols. We didn't start the work... but we made it better, for less and with more attention to detail.

Another alternative is to cut up part of an old bicycle tube and slip it over the base of the grip. Of course you will want to make sure the gun is empty and unloaded first. It only costs a couple of dollars, and is removable. Even in the 90+ degree summer here in Florida it keeps my hand from slipping.

I used a soldering iron, ground the tip down to the shaoe of a round ball and dimpled or golf balled the front and backstrap. I really like it. Feels good in the hand and has just enough bite but not so much it wears you out after 150 rounds.

post-14870-008116200 1303938312_thumb.jp