Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do you shoot IDPA?

midvalleyshooter

Trigger time. Don't care much for the low round count but it gives me more time with my glock. It is definitely a more relaxed setting than other types of shooting. I get out of the house for another day of shooting.

I have not tried IDPA yet. The more I read about it, the less I want to try it. I know I don't want to be sticking my hands in water then grabbing my 1911. I rust guns bad enough as it is. It is a constant upkeep job keeping rust out of my front and rear checkering.

Thats not the only reason though. I have a hard time with the FTDR rule and the "tacticle " mag change.

If I were to shoot IDPA, it would probably be just to see how much I could "game" it and get away with it.... :)

I shoot IDPA because where i shoot there are lots of master class shooters, including ken hackathorn, rob haught, bill nesbitt, and soon to be me... (grin) couldn't resist.. but the point is, its a lot closer, there are good people and good shooting. i shoot ipsc when i can, but i have to drive further.

either way i have a high caliber of shooters, so its worth it in experience for me. not to mention every match win ( very very seldom with shooters like that, but the frequency is increasing) is good points if i ever go to look for a sponsor.

smoney,

Be patient Grasshopper. Success will come only with time and practice. Those Master shooters of which you spoke are older and wiser.

I shoot IDPA because it has been the only game in town for the last few years.

Bill Nesbitt

IDPA # A00282

USPSA # A04429 (expired)

bill, i'm 22 now, all of my friends are married, and many with children.... and some who aren't married but still have children. but thats another story.... i am beginning to feel old! does that count? experience accounts for a lot, which i have been getting, along with a little practice here and there. hopefully my master card in SSP will be in the spring. still a lot of work to go from there, but its a good start.

bill's reason too, its the only show in town in WV and southern OH. which its odd that IDPA is so popular in ohio when there is NO ccw there... go figure.

I shoot IDPA because its the only game in town - and its fun.

Don't worry about the ftdr rule - I haven't seen it used in some time. I think it was originally started to combat IPSC gaming.

IDPA is ok. I fought shooting it for some time. Its different and takes some adjustment - but when push comes to shove its pretty decent. I've learned a lot playing it too.

JB

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not to sound like a TOTAL prostitute, but initially I began shooting IDPA because, to brutally honest, as a gunwriter when the sport started up I saw a great opportunity to write articles about it and sell them for money. Got into it and found out I love it. And then shooting IDPA led me into USPSA/IPSC.

I like the fact that in IDPA I can fire the exact same gun and loads as in IPSC's Limited-10. Same power factor and everything. The only difference in my equipment between the two sports is that in IPSC I use my Safariland race rig and, depending on the course of fire, occasionally I'll whip out the 10-round mags. In IDPA it's my normal, everyday Blade-Tech carry holster and double mag pouch, and Wilson 8-rounders....unless I forget to bring the mags, of course, then I have to press my carry 7-rounders into service!

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 8:13 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

When I shoot IDPA it's because it's a chance to shoot something different. I'm afraid that some shoot it to make fun of it and whine that it's not USPSA. For me there's nothing about it that I can't live with so I have a good time.  I know it's gonna be different than USPSA or NRA or 3 gun or steel or bowling pins or whatever.

JJ

Because it's fun, the trigger time has improved my shooting, and it has provided me with some loose benchmarks so I can monitor my improvement.

The biggest thing, though, has been camaraderie. I shoot primarilyat Hotshots indoor pistol range in Greenwood AR, and at the CASA range in Little Rock. I have wandered to Sturm's in Springdale, MVSA in Hot Springs, and ACPL in Berryville. I've met and talked with good folks in all of these places.

"I'm afraid that some shoot it to make fun of it and whine that it's not USPSA."

At least they're shooting it, so they have some basis for comparison. Most of the people I hear ranking on USPSA/IPSC out at an IDPA match have never shot USPSA/IPSC. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Why do I shoot IDPA?

To avoid household chores; laundry, lawn, dishes, groceries, etc.

I use the same gun, holster and mag pouch, Para P-16-40 / Ky-Tac / Safariland to shoot both IDPA and IPSC.

I just put 10 rounds in the mags for IDPA and fill 'em up all the way for IPSC. I pop the Tungsten guide rod out for IDPA, too. Magwells can fit in the IDPA box, sometimes they have to be ground down a bit.

It works fine. The 40 S&W can be downloaded to shoot ESP. This is not necessary, however.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the complaining part can be limited to an IPSC thing..... I've never heard so much whining and bashing of a different sport until I started  shooting IDPA.     "Thats a failure to "Do Right!"     "That's not tactically sound!"     "IPSC is a for gamers"   duhh... it IS a game. And so is IDPA. Just a different game.   ;)

Honestly this IPSC/IDPA thing is a no win argument as far as I am concerned:)

IPSCers seem to resent me because I helped form a small IDPA club. IDPAers seem to resent me because I used to shot a lot of IPSC. At a recent IPSC 3 gun match I was "one of those IDPA guys" and at an IDPA match I am "an IPSC gamer type".

So when I hear IDPA explained as "I don't practice anymore" or IPSC as "irritable people squabbling constantly" I just smile and carry on.

I partipate in the shooting sports because I enjoy shooting and the company of other like minded people.

Keith

Like many of you, I started it to get more range time.  IPSC first, then IDPA.  Two different pistols to play with.

I like both for different reasons and play both for different reasons.

LOL...most of the folks I play with play both as well!

I shoot IDPA as both a test and an experiment. I use to shoot IPSC quite allot, but IDPA, with the lower round count and, with good SOs, a emphasis on tactics, and proper technique, is more to my taste. I do high round counts in practice, so I am not interested in high round counts in matches. Our local matches have no trophies (except a computer printout) and only in the State and regional level are any given. That's ok with me.

In IDPA, at the local level, I can experiment. Just as IPSC shooters prefer targets at longer ranges, IDPA they are generally at shorter ranges (in fact, I suspect soon they will get even shorter). At the short ranges (5 yards or less) gives me the chance to put into practice true hip shooting at speed (kind of like BE's egret stance). We are talking about stages where there are 3 shoot targets and the time count runs no more than 2 seconds for 6 rounds. You will find hip shooting a very interesting way of shooting with a far more mental aspect than those using sights (and one heck of allot of ammo used).

Deaf

Kieth,

The people saying that about you are usually the ones that you are beating..........

I think the better shooters don't have a problem with it as they apreciate good shooting regardless of where you got that way.

Personally I am glad you show up, chasing guys like you is what makes us newer shooters better........

I agree on the IDPA v IPSC thing, I like them both but separate the two in my mind so I don't have a problem with it .........two different games with thier own rules/systems. You wouldn't see a basketball couch screaming that his player should have gotten the call on that outside jumper as it caught the edge of the rim.........he knows it's different than baseball....the two sports just happen to use balls.........

Now as to answer the original question, show up in Turlock the 4th Sunday/month .........that's why......

laters,

gr