Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrist wraps

Bsbllrooster

So I was doing some heavy bench the other day and was using some shiek wrist wraps...

http://www.schiek.com/1100ws.html

...to stabilize my wrists during the lift. I thought it might be interesting to try using them while shooting. Would these be legal to use under USPSA rules. I haven't even shot with them yet but was definitely thinking about. Any thoughts?

Edited by Flexmoney
fix link

I am not aware of anything in the rules that prevents your using them. I know one shooter at my club who regularly shoots with a glove on his weak hand, and, no, it isn't covered with rhinestones, and none of the officials at our recent sectional match even blinked.

Edited by kevin c

With all the shooters who are wearing knee braces, I can't even imagine how someone would have a problem with wrist wraps.

I think the knee braces are for bad knees. Wrist wraps to stabilize normal, healthy wrists don't seem to be in the same category.

With all the shooters who are wearing knee braces, I can't even imagine how someone would have a problem with wrist wraps.

I think the knee braces are for bad knees. Wrist wraps to stabilize normal, healthy wrists don't seem to be in the same category.

Still not governed by the rulebook.....

We leave it up to shooters how to dress themselves, let them flip hats for prone stages or remove them for Cooper tunnels, let them change from muffs to plugs for the same, let them apply knee and elbow pads as they see fit....

Wrist wraps fall into the same category -- not something we should be policing. Everyone has the same opportunity; the super squads would have thought of it, if they thought it would be an advantage...

I've actually thought about this, looking at like elbow braces that lockout or prevent full lockout. Thought it might be a little gamey, and I'm definitely not at that level yet, but wrist wraps/braces was something I thought of.

I just don't see the benefit, seeing as how they might be a little clumsy on the draw, and if you need to bend your wrist, especially around a wall/port window/shooting stance.

If you try them though, let me know what you think!

I've actually thought about this, looking at like elbow braces that lockout or prevent full lockout. Thought it might be a little gamey, and I'm definitely not at that level yet, but wrist wraps/braces was something I thought of.

I just don't see the benefit, seeing as how they might be a little clumsy on the draw, and if you need to bend your wrist, especially around a wall/port window/shooting stance.

If you try them though, let me know what you think!

No matter what else, wrist wraps will slow you down. If you are having recoil problems, maybe it will be worth it to you---but good fundamentals means that recoil really shouldn't be a problem to experienced shooters. As such, slowing yourself down, plus making certain wrist movements difficult, probably just isn't an optimal choice.

If you have bad wrists, that is a different story. But if you are just using them as a crutch when you are starting out, they'll probably hurt your skills more than they will help them.

IMO. :)

I developed some pretty nasty tendonitis in my left wrist a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying not to rush the healing process, though the time off from shooting is driving me nuts. When I come back I'll probably tape up my wrists to offer a little more support, but I absolutely cannot see the tape giving me any kind of advantage.

Edited by Singlestack
Edited to remove rude and antagonistic remark

Knee braces are a competitive advantage and should be ruled as such.

Riiiiight.....

:lol: :lol:

Knee pads, knee braces, wrist wraps, jockstraps, hats, shirts, cleats.....all that stuff is considered personal equipment and as such, is not governed by the rule book. We don't want to go down that road.

Troy

Riiiiight.....

Knee pads, knee braces, wrist wraps, jockstraps, hats, shirts, cleats.....all that stuff is considered personal equipment and as such, is not governed by the rule book. We don't want to go down that road.

Troy

cleats?

Jockstraps. Allowed only if they go through 3 belt loops.

To be frank a very good argument could be made against the use of knee braces.

Riiiiight.....

Troy

cleats?

Jockstraps. Allowed only if they go through 3 belt loops.

To be frank a very good argument could be made against the use of knee braces.

No, it couldn't, because they are, for the last time, personal equipment, and as such are not regulated by USPSA rules. Neither are wrist straps, or any joint stabilizing equipment. They are the same as shirts, pants, shoes, etc. We don't regulate them. Period.

Troy