Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is why you should clean your gun every once in a while.

bbbean

post-14972-051091700 1303310431_thumb.jpsurprise.gif

This was after I pulled a couple of Q-tip sized wads of gun from behind the sear. Goes a long way towards explaining why my gun sometimes just "didn't go off" at BitB.

Suffice it to say I'm going to step up my cleaning regimen a little bit!

post-14972-051091700 1303310431_thumb.jpsurprise.gif

This was after I pulled a couple of Q-tip sized wads of gun from behind the sear.

What kind of gun did you find on your sear? It would have to be pretty small :devil:

I think I have "gun" under my "K" key, too...

So when was the last time you cleaned your gun? I clean my gun every time I shoot.

Last time I stripped it all the way down was back in the fall or winter sometime. The slide comes off every 1000-2000 rounds, or before a big match, but I've never had a schedule for cleaning inside the frame. Guess I'll make one.

Might cut down on just how much slide glide I'm using, too. Either that, or weld on a fitting for a grease gun so I can keep it fresh!roflol.gif

That pic is absolutely fantastic! I have a Single Stack match coming up next month and haven't detail cleaned my 1911s in a year or more, I might have to crack those guns apart and see what kind of goodies are hiding in mine.

That pic is absolutely fantastic! I have a Single Stack match coming up next month and haven't detail cleaned my 1911s in a year or more, I might have to crack those guns apart and see what kind of goodies are hiding in mine.

I recommend it.

The amazing thing is that the gun ran great right up to the point it didn't, and even then it just hiccupped through the match. I suspected ammo problems, trigger freeze, and just bad luck until I broke her down on the bench.

It runs a lot better now.

I run my pistols relatively 'dry' for just that reason. Oil never touches my pistols. I grease the slide lightly, it does not take much. I spray a rem dry lube on the inners every 1000 rounds or so and use WD-40 as rust protection because it evaporates dry.

Everybody has their own way but I'd rather clean often and use Mobil 1. It's easier to clean than grease, stays on the firearm, excellent lubrication. It's the old pay a little now or pay later idea.

I can clean my guns in just a few minutes using a wash tank with kerosene and compressed air. Guns run and seem to last longer.

While I commend you for the post, it's not the way I would recommend treating a firearm.