Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Not Dropping Free

Tizzo

I was competing in a steel shoot last Saturday, the air temperature didn't break 40 degrees. Can cold cause magazines to not drop free from polymer frame guns? It took me by surprise, and I wasn't the only person with this issue. If this is the case, is there a way to prevent the problem, or do I just need to be prepared to physically strip the magazine?

Thanks

More than polymer or metal, cold affects your finger tips. That makes it harder to do precision things and pressing that mag release does require fine motor skills. Just MHO...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If it's cold, it would shrink the polymers/steel, and the heat of your gun would expand a bit, but i've never felt a "hot" mag after a run in a pistol, so I'm thinking that it doesn't change the temperature that much.

Maybe the cold is stressing the mag release spring, with it not wanting to push as smooth to drop the mag as when it's warmer out.

Since you weren't the only person to have issues it can't be blamed on the gun.

I've shot in the cold. Not extensively, I'm fragile, but my mags would still drop free..

Always good to be prepared to quickly and safely remove a stuck mag, as these happen even in nice weather

just a guess...its cold, the fine motor skills have gone away...down to gross motor skills, maybe you are punching and holdingthe mag button a lil longer than you would have in a warmer clime, ive seen mag catchesthat when pressed hard and held will hold a mag in place, so maybe its a cold hands manipulation problem, for a mag/equipment problem a friend of mine uses armor-all on the exteriors of his glock mags

Probalbly just the magazine. Put it in a vise and crush it until it gets smaller. :roflol:

Any mositure in the well or on the mag. This can slow things down when it is cold. For the most part my SV pre-metal grips and XD had no problems dropping as long as they were clean.

Use some plexus plastic cleaner on your plastic mags. Works wonders. And most atv Or motorcycle shops Carry it

Is it a spray? or like a rub-on wax type substance?

Any other ideas to "lube" mags, graphite/non oil lubrication?

We shoot a lot in cold conditions (near Chicago - Southern Wisc) and I can't say I've noticed it affecting anything, though my experience is with a Glock.

I do have some problems with mags binding, which is easily solved with a few blasts of some hornady "dry-lube" spray, both in the gun and on the mags.

Assuming you're using standard OEM magazines in your XD, the shiny aluminum might show signs of wear from any pinch spots. If this is an expansion/contraction issue, that might help you pinpoint the problematic area.

If this happens again, you might want to consider applying a very thin layer of oil on the magazine. Insert the mag, then drop it, and see if that helps highlight the spot on the mag where it's catching on the mag well.

For what it's worth, I shoot an XD Service .40S&W and haven't run into this problem, but your mags and gun are sufficiently different from mine to make it a poor comparison.

I shoot an XDM and have not had a problem like this. We had a match a couple weeks ago that the temp started in the mid 20's and warmed to the mid 40's by the end of the match.

Use some plexus plastic cleaner on your plastic mags. Works wonders. And most atv Or motorcycle shops Carry it

Is it a spray? or like a rub-on wax type substance?

Any other ideas to "lube" mags, graphite/non oil lubrication?

Plexus is an aerosol spray liquid. It is a plastic polish, usually used for cleaning plastic lenses and some off road motorcycle/ATV plastic parts. I have never tried it on a gun part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...