Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Spray or Paint paper targets?

Well folks I need your input. This weekend I have over 150 targets to prep for a match. In the past I have all ways used spray paint. But there was the thought to use latex liquid paint.

Has anyone out there ever painted not sprayed on cardboard targets?

All help would be a appreciated.

It sounds like you're applying hard cover? The only time I used anything other than aerosol can paint was a project to waterproof whole targets with poly varnish, using a spray gun, and that was a major effort.

Spray paint is fast, with virtually no clean up except chucking the empty cans and the strip of cardboard used as the mask into the trash. The paint dries quickly, and you can stack batches targets every few minutes, saving space and time both.

You roll or brush on latex, it's going to take a long time to dry, meaning you need to lay out the targets w/o stacking. Laid side by side, those 150 targets are going to take up 500 square feet or so, provided they don't all blow away in a moderate breeze. Then you got to clean the brushes, etc.

Remember, they're just cardboard targets that are going to be shot to pieces and then chucked into the recyling bin. Extra effort on something ultimately disposable may not be worth it.

Edited by kevin c

Well now it appears that the spray can has the lead. Time for this work detail is 3 to 4 hours. And I will have a few cadets doing the painting as I oversee. Some times it is nice to be the coach :bow:

I used a small foam roller and a couple of gallons of cheapo black paint last year to do targets for our sectionals. Found it WAY easier and quicker. Poured the paint in one of those little plastic roller pans. One person taped and the other painted. True - you can't stack them up and you need space to line them up while they dry but that didn't seem to be a problem. We stood them up side by side against a chair or table and by the time we needed more space, the first ones were dry. They dried pretty quickly unless you went too heavy on the paint. The foam rollers and paint pans come in packs and are disposable. If you put the roller in a plastic bag when you're done, it doesn't dry out. The coverage was great - more consistent than with a spray and easier to stay within the lines, no cardboard mask that you have to hold in place needed. But the biggest plus was - no sore and tired trigger finger from pressing the spray can nozzle, when I got done.

I bought 2 gallons of black paint on sale. A year later - still using the last gallon for our local matches, so I'd say it was more than cost effective.

Kimmie I like your input. Now you have me think to the point some smoke is coming out of my ears. Weather for my work detail is not looking good for an outdoor day. So if we have to work indoors paint and roller may be the way to go. My big concern is dry time with the amount of targets I have to produce. I may have a fan on hand to help in the drying process.

Kimmie what type of paint did you use?

Kimmie I like your input. Now you have me think to the point some smoke is coming out of my ears. Weather for my work detail is not looking good for an outdoor day. So if we have to work indoors paint and roller may be the way to go. My big concern is dry time with the amount of targets I have to produce. I may have a fan on hand to help in the drying process.

Thanks. Don't think I'll ever use spray paint again, if I can help it. We did the large batch of targets

for the sectionals outdoors so they dried a little faster but I don't remember it taking too long. And we did a lot of targets. When we do it indoors, we just line them up on a wall - and again, dry time isn't that long. Even if you overlap them while they're wet, the paint only gets on the back of the other target. Don't remember what brand of paint -cheapo on sale from Home Depot. I think it was semi-gloss.

Let me know how it goes if you decide on the roller and paint.

(Been doing some research on my ancestors from your neck of the woods - Chester, Suffern, Ramapough Mountains - are you from there originally?)

I used a sponge style brush and barn paint. Comes out real nice. It can be done indoors and gives a nice edge.

Where did you learn that? Whoever came up with that is a genius!

Learned that from a real "old" shooter...

I have a gallon of flat black paint just sitting in my garage and I have been thinking about putting it to use on some targets... I think that match day of coarse you need to use spray paint but if you are a MD and you want to make targets a few days ahead of time then a gallon of paint and a roller may be the ticket...I think that for my next match I am giving the roller a try... thanks for the tip Kimmie :cheers:

Thanks. Don't think I'll ever use spray paint again, if I can help it. We did the large batch of targets

for the sectionals outdoors so they dried a little faster but I don't remember it taking too long. And we did a lot of targets. When we do it indoors, we just line them up on a wall - and again, dry time isn't that long. Even if you overlap them while they're wet, the paint only gets on the back of the other target. Don't remember what brand of paint -cheapo on sale from Home Depot. I think it was semi-gloss.

(Been doing some research on my ancestors from your neck of the woods - Chester, Suffern, Ramapough Mountains - are you from there originally?)

Well Kimmie I put your latex paint idea to the test :wub: IT WORKED!

I had to paint 300+ targets in four different colors. We had a crew of 5 to 7. and were able to knock this task out in about 3 hours. We found that very cheap paint was a little thin (watery). Which just meant you had to be a little more careful and watch for runs. The targets dried very fast sitting in the sun. There was a little curling of the targets but stacking them with the paint side down should over time flatten them out again. Paint goes a long way when doing targets. So once you buy a gallon of paint you may never go back to spray for target paint prep. But for a small amounts or on match day can spray is the way to go. Oh and we used foam brushes which worked great.

And I am not originally from Suffern. And at the rate this state is going I may some be running away :wacko:

Well Kimmie I put your latex paint idea to the test :wub: IT WORKED!

I had to paint 300+ targets in four different colors. We had a crew of 5 to 7. and were able to knock this task out in about 3 hours. We found that very cheap paint was a little thin (watery). Which just meant you had to be a little more careful and watch for runs. The targets dried very fast sitting in the sun. There was a little curling of the targets but stacking them with the paint side down should over time flatten them out again. Paint goes a long way when doing targets. So once you buy a gallon of paint you may never go back to spray for target paint prep. But for a small amounts or on match day can spray is the way to go. Oh and we used foam brushes which worked great.

And I am not originally from Suffern. And at the rate this state is going I may some be running away :wacko:

Great! Glad it worked for you!

And just make sure you don't run away to Massachusetts! We've either got you beat or are pretty close when it comes to ridiculous gun laws!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had about ninety hard cover targets to do for our upcoming sectional.

I did them all myself in a couple hours in my garage tonight, using less than a quarter of a gallong of black paint and a roller brush (I'd prepared a clean tape edge for each in advance). Minimal mess (just cleaning the roller, and even that wasn't necessary, if I had been willing to just chuck into the trash along with the plastic paint tray). No odor. And there was enough room in my garage to stack the targets while drying w/o them touching each other. No wind to blow them over in the garage, of course.

For a large # of targets, I am now a convert to the roller and paint vs spray paint. For jsut a few targers for one stage in a club match, the spray cans are probably easier.