philproulx

hi

i looking to develop a load for uspsa multi-gun , IPSC shotgun

to drop popper with a low recoil

i have a littleton shot maker that is why i still reload shotgun

i have 1 1/4oz wads and 1 1/8 wads

a ton of STS / nitro 27 hulls

i have hodgdon clays-hs6-longshot-titegroup in powder available now

i have developed a lot for plate rack-----28 gr of longshot -1/18 oz shot cci primer but it is really loud (i have the mossberg 930 roadblocker)

now if someone can help me with a managed recoil load for popper slaying

thanks philippe

What size shot are you able to make? I acquired an old press and I'm gathering up shells and saving for wads, shot, and primers. In no hurry since I have a couple cases of ammo. Of the ammo I have, the #6 and #4 shot does a great job on the poppers. If no slugs are required, running a tighter choke will get poppers down with most bird shot. But you are running the roadblocker.....Get another barrel without that loud comp on it and run a modified choke if you have to use slugs or go full choke when no slugs are involved. If you run a full choked barrel, you can run some pretty light loads reducing recoil and still dropping the poppers.

• 1 month later...

You may want to check out other powders too. I use Winchester super handicap which is what winchester uses in their handicap loads. Burns good and not too loud out of a poly choke comp. I push my1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 or 8 shot at 1200 to 1250 fps and have no problem with knocking down poppers, plates, or breaking clays. At the higher velocity the shot basically vaporizes when it hits the steel and transfers a lot of energy. As the targets get further away, the smaller shot does loose energy faster and sideways plates can be hard to knock over.

• 2 months later...

When loading shotgun for 3 gun I tend to go with the 3 1/4 dram - 1 1/8 oz of 7.5's.. I too have a littleton and I picked up the #7 shot drippers (which I have yet to try out). I've found that Unique makes a nice load at the above specs.. I'm actually using the old style AA's but I believe that there is a similar load for the STS hulls as well. I generally use improved cylinder for everything choosing to just use larger size shot if the targets present themselves as more difficult to knock over. I'll usually keep a few boxes of #6's for just this sort of thing..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my Remington 1100, for the past 10 years, the best load for me: AA hulls, Claybuster pink wads (1 oz), 17.6 grs Clays, one ounce 7 1/2 shot, winchester or CCI primers. Choke selection is the key to success.

That's my load for just about everything. The other nice aspect of this particular load (if you check the loading literature to make sure) is that it is exactly the same in the STS, Win AA (both new and old type), Remington/Peters compression formed, and Fiocchi purple hulls. I liked being able to load all of them on a loader with no adjustments, changing hull color to denote shot size.

In my Remington 1100, for the past 10 years, the best load for me: AA hulls, Claybuster pink wads (1 oz), 17.6 grs Clays, one ounce 7 1/2 shot, winchester or CCI primers. Choke selection is the key to success.

That is my dove hunting and plinking load, just with #9s instead of 7.5s. For hunting and IPSC I switch to Claybuster blue (1.125 oz) wads, #6 or 7.5 and International Clays.

I went on a bit of shotshell reloading bender before Dove season and the last Sportsmans Team Challenge.

DSC02770.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I use those colored 3/4" round sticker/labels from Avery. I stick them on the bottom and over the primer. Each color represents a different load or shot and even write 6 or 8 or what ever on the stickers. Depriming punches a hole through the sticker and prime again through the hole in the sticker. Easy to see what I have when shell in a vest or shell caddie...exception is, can't see the bottom of the base when using a 4x4 holder. Also makes collecting my hulls easier after the match...

• 3 weeks later...

For what its worth at last weekends three gun shooters with #6 shot had little trouble with steel. Those shooting smaller shot had some issues. All steel plates, TX star and a plate rack at 20-25 ft or so. I have found that with my 1100 21" i can shoot IC and #6 dove loads and still knock everything off.

That is my dove hunting and plinking load, just with #9s instead of 7.5s. For hunting and IPSC I switch to Claybuster blue (1.125 oz) wads, #6 or 7.5 and International Clays.

I went on a bit of shotshell reloading bender before Dove season and the last Sportsmans Team Challenge.

DSC02770.jpg

^^^That's an awesome picture Tom. :cheers:

I made my shotmaker from scratch. Then re-made it again so I could use Jim Stuart's better shotmaker dripper nozzles / orifices. I think it actually worked better with my old style hardware store bolt drippers instead. I used wire welding tips to get an orifice in the 0.024" to 0.030" range.

I haven't quite figured out how to drill such a tiny hole in a steel bolt itself with say a #78 drill bit.

anywhooo....I don't have a shotgun reloading press at all, at least not yet. So I am basically tagging this thread for later. I have plenty of Clays powder on hand already. :D

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth at last weekends three gun shooters with #6 shot had little trouble with steel. Those shooting smaller shot had some issues. All steel plates, TX star and a plate rack at 20-25 ft or so. I have found that with my 1100 21" i can shoot IC and #6 dove loads and still knock everything off.

At that distance, I would say there were other issues than the shooter's shot size.