Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

wait 'til I get *my* video up... :surprise:

I have almost an hour of raw video, and I was only filming from when I went to the Start to when I got back to the cart...

OK Edit wouldn't work, so here's a new post:

What you will see is a case study in what not to do. You might, however notice that the 2 stages I shot in the pouring rain [at 7 & 10 minutes] were my best...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait 'til I get *my* video up... :surprise:

I have almost an hour of raw video, and I was only filming from when I went to the Start to when I got back to the cart...

OK Edit wouldn't work, so here's a new post:

What you will see is a case study in what not to do. You might, however notice that the 2 stages I shot in the pouring rain [at 7 & 10 minutes] were my best...

Looked like some good shooting in spite of tough conditions.

Ok it is over a week since we shot the match and still no stage by stage results posted on the web. It was a great march but for the amount of money it cost to shoot the

Match surely we could get results posted so we could review our performance

I have my fingers crossed for Tuesday. Hoping they get stuff done over this Holiday weekend....hoping :) It was my 1st Major match so I'd like to see where I really screwed up and learn from that

someone a few pages back mentioned something about NOT having padding or having rough edges around the plastic drums where you dump your shotgun and pick up your rifle, or vice versa....

just for future reference for myself, what is a good way to pad those cutoff drums and/or to de-rough their edges?

what have you guys seen at other matches?

someone a few pages back mentioned something about NOT having padding or having rough edges around the plastic drums where you dump your shotgun and pick up your rifle, or vice versa....

just for future reference for myself, what is a good way to pad those cutoff drums and/or to de-rough their edges?

what have you guys seen at other matches?

Garden hose or heater tubing, slit and worked over the edge, held on with zipties...

okay, thanks!

So are these barrels/drums like cut off at an angle?

Are the drums positioned at an angle?

by heater tubing I am ASSuming you mean that black foam-ish insulation that goes over water supply pipes or the refrigerant line that goes from your A coil inside your HVAC system to the unit sitting outside.

And i think I read that there was just one barrel at some of the stages, so you kinda risked dinging up both guns by trying to get one into the barrel quickly, and the other out quickly too.

So what you need is a two drum system, kinda like an in and out box system, right?

Many of the stages had you either putting your shotgun in with your rifle or rifle in with your shotgun. And at least one RO was very specific that you could only have one gun out at a time so they both had to be in there getting scratched and beat up. Really sucked with a 12 round Saiga mag on the shotgun. Not really any way to set that one in their so it doesn't take up the whole barrel. My brand new gun is trashed now. Had to happen sooner or later, I just would have preferred later. As far as fixing it, have two barrels side by side. And yes they were on the ground at an angle. Worked really well they just needed more and padding.

Hose, tubing, or pipe insulation work well for the top rim of the dump barrel. Having two separate barrels and putting thick foam in the bottom of the barrel and a carpet runner help save the finish on the guns.

Don't need anything on the raw edge of a plastic barrel, just need to cut the top OFF instead of cutting the top OUT. And there needs to be a barrel to dump into that is empty, the gun being picked up should be in another barrel or lying on a table, etc...

(or use 35 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans, they work the best. Do not line them with carpet or FOAM, it sticks to hot guns! just stuff a used cardboard target in the bottom...) And put the barrels for long guns and buckets for pistols VERTICAL instead of tilted! :angry2: There was at least a couple of DQs I heard about because the guns bounced out of the barrel/bucket, won't happen if they are vertical...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Thanks Ken for an overall great match. This was my first 3-Gun match and while I’ve shot 2 national pistol matches and dozens of area and regional events, this match was by far the most fun to shoot. There were no stages that required a mathematician to remember the secret sequence of shooting 4 targets thru the 1st opening, 3 thru the 2nd opening and so on. The targets were right there in front of you if you possessed the marksmanship to make the shot. Well, I’ve got another year to work on that.

The RO’s were the friendliest and funniest I’ve ever shoot with. I’m still laughing at your Stage 1 RO who always needed “a little peeky” to get things started. Now if I can just get “rifle raffle, rifle raffle, rifle raffle” out of my mind.

It was also an honor to be able to talk with and work beside our awesome young service men and women. Their help was very much appreciated.

Also, a special thanks go out to the other shooters of Squad 11 for their help and patience. Thanks to Bryan Payne for carrying an old man’s gear back to the truck (I think Doug wants his $1 back). And poor Chuck Anderson, who had to put up with me tagging along behind him like a 1st grader asking a 100 questions a day. It’s amazing what you can learn by watching the really good shooters execute these stages. I watched Chuck sit on a shaky bench, in dark, crappy weather and pound targets at 200 yards like he was ringing a dinner bell.

Thanks Again, Guy

:devil:

I lost, there, there is your results... :roflol:

:cheers:

The only difference between us is that I was the 1st Loser.

Buddy, I had such a commanding lead on last place, I think I was untouchable after the second stage. Suffice it to say that the "Anti-Gamer" penalties REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCKED for a guy having optics issues [yeah, I know, all my own fault].

PLEASE God I hope they come up with a better anti-gamer strategy next year. The excessive penalties were, well, excessive. I don't have a better solution, but I really don't think it is approprite to take a competitor that bangs away at a rifle target without success until the time runs out and treat him the same as the Gamer that takes 12 seconds to rattle off the rounds without even aiming. The punative penalties didn't only affect the gamers, they also really hosed anyone that had legitimate troubles on the rifle targets. I had 440 seconds on the FIRST stage, and 830 seconds after the second. After that, even if I would have shot better than kurtM on all of the other stages, I still would have been last. That penalty seems just a little steep for someone dumb enough to show up without a properly zeroed rifle. I suppose it's my own fault for bitching so much about the optics rule in the first place... :devil:

Scores are up :) The overall is post very strangely to me...by Match points. So I went and did it by time by myself to see where I landed lol Only took just over an hour

Scores are up :) The overall is post very strangely to me...by Match points. So I went and did it by time by myself to see where I landed lol Only took just over an hour

Where are you seeing them??? Im not seeing them on www.midwest3gun.com

Just 2009 and 2010 scores.

What were you zeroed to...if you don't mind me asking?

The wrong spot...

Seriously, the RO on stage 2 took pity on me, and let me fix my issue. I was one full turn High [low]. Not really sure how I got that far off, I zeroed indoors at 25 yards. If I was a nascar driver I crashed so bad that I took out my pit crew, the trailer, my personal car and my owners kid's bicycle...

Unfortunately, by then, I had already earned 830 seconds in time + [excessive] penalties, so from the perspective of the match score, I could have quit right there, and STILL lost. Even if they would have applied a 300 second rule, I might have had a miniscule chance..

Edited by barrysuperhawk

The scores and placements are a bit difficult to follow. To make it easier, first select all the data lines in the spreadsheet, click on DATA on the toolbar, then click SORT and do it by column B.

That reorganizes and groups the placements within their respective division.

Took me a second to notice the tabs for the different sheets at the bottom o f the spread sheet.

Edited by EvilBetty