Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ken and the match staff for putting up a fine 3-gun match, I am sure working in the rain wasn't a whole lot of fun for you guys! Some of the stages were deceptively challenging :ph34r: ! The Spinner Fun stage was the one you can either get it or don't, with a low rifle port and the "spinner target from hell" :devil: !

Thanks to all the match sponsors, especially Nordic for the 48-rds Pmag in each shooter's bag :P !

A small suggestion for next year, if you are going to run the same stage in the wooded area (where stage 7 was), please make the targets more visible. With the heavy rain on Saturday, the left bank of small steel plates across the stream were not visible at all, specially after they get coated with mud and lead. Either allow us to shoot it with a bit of white pain while resetting, or cheaper yet, just wrap the metal stands with yellow plastic caution ribbon to help us index into the plates. We ended up shooting it like a team assist stage, calling out the targets for the shooter :blink: .

There were a few other stages that could have been tweaked a bit to improve the quality of those stages. All had to do with the rifle portion of those stages....

Craig

The only tweak that I suggest would be not to tell us which port order to shoot the rifle barricade on stage 2, why must the shooter go prone first? Or restrict how we shoot the low port (some of us would have shot it roll over prone or some form of modified roll over prone on the knees.)

The off hand rifle at 75 yard-ish c-zone steel sure put a smile on my face :D ...that was fun!

Thanks Ken and the match staff for putting up a fine 3-gun match, I am sure working in the rain wasn't a whole lot of fun for you guys! Some of the stages were deceptively challenging :ph34r: ! The Spinner Fun stage was the one you can either get it or don't, with a low rifle port and the "spinner target from hell" :devil: !

Thanks to all the match sponsors, especially Nordic for the 48-rds Pmag in each shooter's bag :P !

A small suggestion for next year, if you are going to run the same stage in the wooded area (where stage 7 was), please make the targets more visible. With the heavy rain on Saturday, the left bank of small steel plates across the stream were not visible at all, specially after they get coated with mud and lead. Either allow us to shoot it with a bit of white pain while resetting, or cheaper yet, just wrap the metal stands with yellow plastic caution ribbon to help us index into the plates. We ended up shooting it like a team assist stage, calling out the targets for the shooter :blink: .

I agree on #7. We shot it early Saturday AM while it was still quite dark down in that ditch and once they fell in the mud, they were covered in that mud and almost invisible. Paint or marked target stands are almost a necessity in stages like this. That or use clays instead of steel. The cost would increase overall but everyone would always have a visible target presentation, no matter the lighting or weather conditions.

There were a few other stages that could have been tweaked a bit to improve the quality of those stages. All had to do with the rifle portion of those stages. I thought the pistol and shotgun parts were great.

ROs were amazing. Friendly, helpful, and thorough in their instructions. Hats off to everyone one of them. They helped it be a fun match.

Craig

+1 :cheers:

There were a few other stages that could have been tweaked a bit to improve the quality of those stages. All had to do with the rifle portion of those stages....

Craig

The only tweak that I suggest would be not to tell us which port order to shoot the rifle barricade on stage 2, why must the shooter go prone first? Or restrict how we shoot the low port (some of us would have shot it roll over prone or some form of modified roll over prone on the knees.)

The off hand rifle at 75 yard-ish c-zone steel sure put a smile on my face :D ...that was fun!

Sorry, That was a function of RO's without a lot of experience. You should have been able to do it however you wanted.

Ken

From all of us, Thank you!

Ken, Larry, RM, Overstreets, RO's what a great match, THANK YOU, Yes, the steel did prove extremely difficult to see in the afternoon after the rain on stage 7, I shot it then too, I'm sure they have the idea of how to make that better but what a great match.

Great challanges, technical positions, but most amazing was the preperation and fore thought to allow the match to run smoothly even when it rained for over half a day, We encountered no major backups, no problems running on the stages, and only a bit messy in the reset department! Well done, they had seen it coming and put down the mulch, desinged the stages, movements and targets to support, (lessons learned from years past?) Great planning and execution in far less than ideal conditions, hats off to you all for making it happen and standing in the rain to see us through all the stages.

Great job, smooth running, lots of fun and what a great bunch of RO's and those NROTC folks helping out

thanks again

Jeff

Great match!!, Ken Larry and Crew put on a great match....once again! Thanks to all the r.o.s and match staff!! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

As for Red Dots in HM and Tac Iron...they proved to be the very best thing since sliced bread in the deep dark woods and the drenching rain. Nothing can outperform a dot sight under those conditions. Also the long range stage was the picture perfect place to shoot dots and show their "vast" superiority over archaic iron sights. The red dot/Prismatic has completely changed our game there is no-one that can compete against them on a fair footing if using iron sights........except neither Tac Iron OR Heavy Metal was won with a dot sight, just plain old iron sights....HMMMMM????? So maybe we just put something on the rifle, get a bag o bullets and practice cause there is no panecea when there is no magnification.....I ain't afraid of no dot! :rolleyes: KurtM

Great match!!, Ken Larry and Crew put on a great match....once again! Thanks to all the r.o.s and match staff!! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

.....I ain't afraid of no dot! :rolleyes: KurtM

Except when you have a bent front sight post after rapid rifle extraction from the staging barrel!!!! :roflol: Good thing it didn't happen this time! Good shooting Kurt!

...Second 3-gun match in the row that we have to watch out for the sharp jagged cutouts in the plastic barrels used for both abandoning one long gun and staging of the next long gun.

Edited by PacMan

As for Red Dots in HM and Tac Iron...they proved to be the very best thing since sliced bread in the deep dark woods and the drenching rain. Nothing can outperform a dot sight under those conditions. Also the long range stage was the picture perfect place to shoot dots and show their "vast" superiority over archaic iron sights. The red dot/Prismatic has completely changed our game there is no-one that can compete against them on a fair footing if using iron sights........except neither Tac Iron OR Heavy Metal was won with a dot sight, just plain old iron sights....HMMMMM????? So maybe we just put something on the rifle, get a bag o bullets and practice cause there is no panecea when there is no magnification.....I ain't afraid of no dot! :rolleyes: KurtM

Kurt, I gotta agree with you although you would have still kicked my butt using an iron sight muzzleloader and me with a scoped AR. The dot was probably quite beneficial on #8. The other stages maybe not so much, and in the downpour on #6 when I shot it, I was wishing for irons. My C-More had water running down the lens to the point I was wiping the lens and trying to shoot before it distorted again. I couldn't even see 4 of the targets through the lens most of the time. Anyway, good job, and once again it proves it's the shooter, not the high-tech gadgets.

Craig

Completely agree. Thanks everyone. I had a blast of a time despite the rain and mud on the first day, the heat and mud on the second day, and the humidity and more mud on the third day. Good stages ran by good staff and attended by good all around folks (especially Squad 11) makes for a hell of a great match.

It matters on who's at the match. The likes of you, Trapr, Pat Kelley are very exceptional iron shooters that would make the red dots want to dig a hole to hide in. The rest of us got our @sses handed to us by good shooters with red dots in both HM and TI at Blue Ridge.

It was good to see you and Trapr again. One of these matches, Jay and I will have to squad up with you two and maybe you can teach us young pups a lesson or two.

pray that none of our shooters coming home got caught up in that severe weather along I-44 and the OK-MO state line. The town of Joplin took a direct hit from a tornado. I dont know more than that, just saw the news.

Yeah Mike, we came through some of that same storm just west of St.Louis (pulling a 38' fifth wheel) it suuuucked! when I broke clear of it I flat footed the 'ol Ford and outran it, now its suppose to arrive here at home (KY) about 2am.

JP

I hope you all faired the storm well. About the same time Joplin was hit, our metro area in Minneapolis took a few hits as well with Minneapolis sustaining the most damage. Nothing compared to what happened to Joplin though. We got home about midnight to find the major interstate freeway shut down due to the debris from the neighborhoods. I do believe that none of the Minnesota shooters that attended got damage to their homes.

I think all of those 4" shotgun plates could be tossed in the trash

I agree completely. My light mod choke definitely choked on a number of those targets! Here is my Stage 7 and you can see me, at 32 seconds, shoot one target a number of times, me drop my shotgun, shake my head in disbelief, reengage and fumble with reloads. :D

BTW, good job Jesse!

Also, big thanks to Ken, staff, RO's and ROTC's for all of their hard work and true professionalism. Great match guys and gals!

Todd, I used a IM choke for that stage and didn't have a bit of trouble with them falling. Well, except for the one doing the Arnold impersonation in Predator that was camoflaged with mud. I never did see it until someone walked down and pointed it out to me.

Craig

I am ASSuming that they also let guys with 1X red dots also shoot in "tac irons"...as well as Heavy Metal like what was mentioned earlier....

somebody previously said that their C-more was getting soaked and they couldn't see the dot...were you allowed to run secondary irons...like that Duek fella's canted AR sights???

I am ASSuming that they also let guys with 1X red dots also shoot in "tac irons"...as well as Heavy Metal like what was mentioned earlier....

somebody previously said that their C-more was getting soaked and they couldn't see the dot...were you allowed to run secondary irons...like that Duek fella's canted AR sights???

Nope. One or the other and not both. Other matches are doing it that way too. I don't

agree with it but it's not my match. I had irons but I still would have had to look through the C-More lens so it really wouldn't have been advantageous. The Deuck sights would have not only worked well in this instance, but on the stage with the 45 degree slots to shoot through.

Craig

I agree completely. My light mod choke definitely choked on a number of those targets!

I shot a light mod w/ no problems:

Nice job on thr Stage win Mike!

Didn't you run high brass 6's with that Light Mod like I did?

Still trying to stir things up, Jesse? :rolleyes: I ran Walmart bulk Federal #8 on that stage

and just choked it down with IM.

Craig

Nope. One or the other and not both. Other matches are doing it that way too. I don't

agree with it but it's not my match. I had irons but I still would have had to look through the C-More lens so it really wouldn't have been advantageous. The Deuck sights would have not only worked well in this instance, but on the stage with the 45 degree slots to shoot through.

Craig

Thanks, Craig!

Okie dokie then....another dumb question....how about the Tac Optics guys? Could they run a whatever??? power scope up top and then some other iron sights off to the side....like the JP's that goes out on the handguard or the Dueck sights like I mentioned earlier?

Just curious....

Craig

Thanks, Craig!

Okie dokie then....another dumb question....how about the Tac Optics guys? Could they run a whatever??? power scope up top and then some other iron sights off to the side....like the JP's that goes out on the handguard or the Dueck sights like I mentioned earlier?

Just curious....

Yes, the other divisions can have the alternate backup iron option. Only the Tac Irons/Heavy Metal guys get limited.

Craig

Luck of the schedule. Those plates were glowing before the rains started.Craig

Right. Ask Jesse if they were still glowing when he shot the stage 2 minutes later. :)

It was 22 yds. to the farthest plate. It always looks easy in the videos.

Nice job on thr Stage win Mike!Didn't you run high brass 6's with that Light Mod like I did?

Yeah. I thought you went for the full choke?