Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster input for .45 single

Dman

I'm a new guy to this sport.....been LEO for 15 yrs and just starting. I would like some input on what you think is the best holster. I have thinking of Helwegs or Wilson Practical. But what do I know. Also would like some input on mags and pouchs. Whats fastest and why you make that choice. Do you know of any mag carriers that are angle adjustable and are they legal in IDPA?

Holster selection will, of course, depend on which sport you are interested in.  I use the Hellweg KSL Limited Holster for IPSC and it has been a great holster but I don't think you could use it in IDPA.  Their KSTC Tactical Holster is approved for IDPA according to their site so it might be a good choice.

For what it's worth on the occassions that I do shoot IDPA I shoot what I carry and use my Dillon IWB (inside the waist band) holster.

thank you for your thoughts...dont even want to go the duty rig route...mine is high ride and tight.....and IDPA makes you use the retension strap. I did shoot a IPSC match with it and was able to hose down some of the regulars, but it is a quite a bit slower than I would want to use on a regular basis in comp.

Dman,

What kind of gun are you shooting?  (Need to know to recommend mags)

I second Nik's recommendion of Blade-Tech.  I used to use a Wilson Practical/Tactical and couldn't believe the difference when I switched to the Blade-Tech.  The Blade-Tech is FAAASSSSTTTTT.

Bill

j1b,

Safariland 074 mag pouches?  I don't see them listed in their online catalog.  Are they the late 80's model with the split front?  I am using old Safariland mag pouches with my SA 1911 and there's no model # on the back of the pouch...curious if maybe they're 074's.  And since I don't know the model # I'm not 100% sure they're IDPA legal.

Bill

I tell you what, their not sexy, or expensive, but those Uncle Mikes Kydex holsters are pretty darn nice - for under $20. I've been using one with my Glock in IDPA, and like it so much I'm now using one with my 1911 for Limited 10 IPSC, and would be a great choice for a Para LDA in Production.

Worth a try for $20. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i would have to say the best would be the wilson combat Tactical Assault i use one with my beretta elite 2 and love it.

my lack of funding being a college student i also have an Uncle Mikes kydex, i have tried a LOT of holsters including side armor, blade tech, etc... for the money side armor kicks ass! i think it is even superior in some ways than the blade tech.  it holds the gun further away from the body.

also kydex *unlined* will scratch up a fine finish on 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the input.....I have looked at just about everything on the market. The blade techs are fast..but its unlined. I love my hellweg but its not IDPA legal. I think I will try the Wilson Practical.

• 3 weeks later...

Dman,

Let me third the recommendation for Blade-Tech's Standard Belt Holster. The hard, slick Kydex makes for a very fast holser, and its straight drop is much more ergonomic on the draw than the popular FBI tilt. Being made of a stiff material, the Blade-Tech can hold the gun considerably lower on the body than a leather or soft plastic holster without having the gun flop around. Their double mag pouch is, bar none, the finest combination concealment/competition mag pouch I've ever found.

Yeah, it'll wear the gun's finish, primarily on the "high points," front of the slide, etc. Whether this is an overriding consideration is just a personal choice. I don't have a problem with finish wear on a gun, especially if I'm the one who put it there. I tend to view it more like the age lines on an old friend's face.

"Youth and skill are no match for experience and treachery"

Well personally I'm betting my survival on experience, treachery AND youth and skill.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 6:59 pm on April 9, 2002)

Thanks Duane, your right wear is not so bad as long as it gets you were you need to be. Guess After all this great input I'll have to try a blade-tech. Has anyone tried SV's Thunder? I saw one at the factory friday when i was there. With all the crap I was buying and all the other stuff I wanted to buy, I forgot all about checking out their holster line. Damn, Its a good thing I didnt take my check book. I might have spent this months house payment just on new parts to fiddle with. Its tuff being close to those guys.....SV's are like drugs. 1,2 10....I want all I can get!!! Its' worse than women.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Wilson Adjuster paddle holster for my Kimber, and it works just fine.  There is a little wheel that rolls against the dust cover, and it has worn a little silver track on my pistol, and there is slight wear on various edges on the slide as well with this lined holster.

So you're gonna get holster wear regardless...it's just a matter of how quickly it happens.

Comp-tac's kydex holsters look really good to me.

http://www.comp-tac.com

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

I have the Comp-Tac Locking Paddle holster.  Absolutely love it.  Very stable, easy to get on and off the belt (not that it's that important), and great fit and finish. IMO, much better than some Bladetech stuff that I've seen lately.  Pretty dang fast too.

I also use two of the Single Mag Pouches. Same goes for them.

I used some Kytac gear in the past, and while it was fast, it wasn't formed as well.  I also had a hard time getting the stuff from the maker.  Not sure if that's still the case.

Delmont,

The locking paddle looks good.  Do you think it is substantially better than the Speed Slide (also from Comp-tac), or just their regular paddle?

It looks like those punched out teeth on the back of the paddle would grip your trousers just fine, and the locking tabs in the picture on their site don't look like they actually prevent the holster from rocking back and forth.

Anyway, I want one of those holsters, but I'd like to save $20 if the locking paddle isn't miles ahead of the others.

Thanks,

Dogmadog

DogmaDog

On my 1.5" belt, the locking tabs put enough outward (away from my hip) pressure that they do a good job of stabilizing the holster. I can loosen my belt quite a bit and still not get any holster wiggle.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.   Alot of the IDPA shooters in my area use this holster and really like it. The only other holster that beats it in popularity is the Fobus, and that's because it's so cheap.

Never used the Speed Slide. Can't really comment on it.

• 1 year later...

Not an answer but another question. My bowling pin gun is a Kimber Polymer Target. This gun has a Bul frame with the hook on the front of the trigger guard and I cannot find a holster to take it. Don't really want to put a file to it to round it off. Anyone out there know what will fit it? Just to compound the problem, I am left handed. SeniorLefty

Another vote for Comp-Tac. I use one at work, I'm LEO also, (canted, G23) and one for IDPA (straight drop, SV .40 and a 1911). Straight drop allows for faster draw in IDPA, but not great for concealment. I use the regular paddle, not the locking paddle.

www.comp-tac.com

Nick-

Another vote for Comp Tac. I, also use the standard paddle, not the locking paddle. I like them well enough that I've got one for my G27, G23, G17/22's and G34.

Another big plus for Comp Tac is their customer service, one of their "distributors" owed me a couple of mag pouches that I paid for but never got and I called

Comp Tac to try and locate the guy, managed to get Greg when I called and even though it wasn't his problem he sent me the pouches that day at no charge and said that he would settle up with the other guy when he saw him. You aren't going to find many guys like that !!