Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Cylinder Latches

malladus

Longtine lurker, first time poster here in revolvers.

Been shooting the tactical tupperware almost exclusively for the last few years and happened to get a good deal on a 686+ that someone had set up for ICORE. Took it to a steel match and remembered how much I loved shooting revolvers and decided that I was going to just start shooting revolver from here on out and went out and picked up a 627-3 V-Comp as well. Be lurking here trying to sponge up tips and helpful information where I can.

Had a question though, I've seen lots of talk about grips, triggers and such like that, but what is the general consensus on extended cyclinder latches? I realize that its going to be game specific, but are they helpful or just a crutch?

Robert

Robert,

I reload weak hand (ie the gun never leaves my strong hand grip and the weak hand handles the moonclip). I find that the Hogue extended release works well for me since I can do all the manipulation with just my thumb and don't have to break my grip. So for me that are helpful.

But in the end, what works for you is solely up to you.

James

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably give one a shot. I've been mostly shooting steel matches, and reloads (which I need to really practice are kiling me) so anything that helps is worth looking into.

Robert

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably give one a shot. I've been mostly shooting steel matches, and reloads (which I need to really practice are kiling me) so anything that helps is worth looking into.

Robert

Reloads are killing everyone. Please don't practice...You'll only get better..Then I'll have to practice.

Well after my last two reloads on the the clock I had to eat at a steel match, I would say killing me is being generous. It was more like they were kicking dirt in the hole I fell into.

I have to admit that I really had proacticed reloading my 686+ at all before shooting in my first steel match. Luckily no one was video taping me our else I would probably have to post a tutorial on how not to do.

Robert

I realize that its going to be game specific, but are they helpful or just a crutch?

I don't actually use an extended latch, but I do use SDM replacements.

Even before I got the SDM, though, a metric boatload of reload practice convinced me that it's practice that solidifies reloads, and the biggest gains are to be had there. Releasing the cylinder takes what - 0.25 - 0.3 seconds? If your reload is respectable, that's only about 10% of the total reload. As the reload gets slower, it becomes an even smaller portion, so an aftermarket latch alone really shouldn't make for a blazing reload.

I do find as my technique gets better and faster, the chances of bobbling the latch go up, so an aftermarket latch does help my consistency, which is why I like my SDMs.

My $0.02 -

Tom

I used the Ed Brown latches for years (like in my avatar) but gave them up for the Hogue extended latches, which I now have on everything.

This is totally a matter of personal preference and feel, however. My son Sam, who reloads the same way I do and has hands that are about the same size as mine, hates all of the extended latches.

Edited by Carmoney

I have the a Hogue Extended on my 625. I have what I believe is a "Pinnacle" style on my vintage 627 PC. Both work equally well for me. Certainly an evolution of the stock release.

Ron

I'm not always a real good shot but I'm a helluva poser! :roflol:

I don't know what others think, but I had a reminder this weekend why I changed my latch, when shooting a new to me gun. The OEM latch digs a bloody hole in the knuckle of my right hand thumb. I use a California Competition Works latch that I have ground the bottom side round and polished it. I find it helps prevent unwanted skin and blood loss with a high hold grip. I also preform weak hand reloads. I think the Hogue would work well.

Westczek

Hello: I just started using the Hogue short extended one. The first thing I noticed was that the checkering is the wrong way and my thumb would slide up on it. I ended up checkering it the other way to make some nice sharp diamonds and now it works great. Now I have to buy a couple more :surprise: Thanks, Eric

The OEM latch digs a bloody hole in the knuckle of my right hand thumb.

Me too, and how! :sick:

I have great big Hogue's or factory ones whittled down to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what others think, but I had a reminder this weekend why I changed my latch, when shooting a new to me gun. The OEM latch digs a bloody hole in the knuckle of my right hand thumb. I use a California Competition Works latch that I have ground the bottom side round and polished it. I find it helps prevent unwanted skin and blood loss with a high hold grip. I also preform weak hand reloads. I think the Hogue would work well.

Westczek

So the Dam* OEM latch is causing my all my blood lose from my right thumb. I have had the problem the last three weeks and wasn't sure what was causing it. Maybe I need to slow down!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the Hogue extended latch and didn't like the way it felt.. I didn't use it in a match, but I could tell that it just wasn't for me... so the stock one went back on and I'm going to stick with it..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, like most gun tweaks, it's a personal preference. I've tried an extended release. I went back to the stock release on my 627. Then i tried an SDM release. Same shape as stock but "stickier" checkering. Really like it. Makes a more positive conection with my relatively short thumb in my strong hand reloads. That being said, i also agree reload practice consistently cuts more time off for me than any metal piece i put on the gun.

So the Dam* OEM latch is causing my all my blood lose from my right thumb. I have had the problem the last three weeks and wasn't sure what was causing it. Maybe I need to slow down!!!!!

Slow down in dry fire practice and get everything perfect before you do it anywhere near a slow pace, much less a normal pace. On the clock slowing down is not the answer.

Speed's and reloads have nothing to do with it, it's happening when the gun is in recoil. The Hogue's will get it up and out of the way. The Ed Brown's work just well enough for me as well if you can find a used one. With them there's still contact with my thumb but it's not sharp enough to open me up.