Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding empties, fact or fiction?

JAG

I was following a thread regarding this on another forum until its mods got frustrated an locked it. No solid answer was ever given as far as it being fiction and or useless. There was however a bit of info to say it was valid.

Anyone have any info regarding the value of feeding empties? Or for that matter reasons why it it holds no value? Any smiths here care to comment?

Thanks,

JAG

IMHO it has no value or relevance as to how the gun will feed live ammo and the front edges of the empty cases will probably taer up the polished face of the feed ramp. If you want to know how a gun is going to feed, use real ammo. You can "slow cycle" it by hand to see where the hang up points are (muzzle downrange of course). There are metal snap caps around that are supposed to be as good as real ammo for feed checking, I just use the ammo I'm going to be shooting.

Anyone have any info regarding the value of feeding empties?

It occurs to me the definition of "empies" would change the answer. If you are a reloader and load up some rounds without powder and primers, they would be very useful for checking feed path snags. I thought by "empties" you meant brass case with no slug? Those would not be useful.

You are correct, I was refering to cases sized but not loaded. No doubt you could tear up a ramp doing this. I wonder though if thats the only reason not to? Does that outweigh the reasons to?

Maybe a bit of info from the post I was referring to..

When talking about the feeding of empty cases you are at one extreme, oppiste of a ctg OAL that is too long. If your handgun will strip that empty from the mag with no troubles, feed it right into the chamber, how can you not take that in consideration as step in measuring reliability? I mean, it is showing that it can feed without regards to the type of bullet loaded, its extreme, if you will as it could get no worse.

Let me try this;

1. If you have a gun that that will feed ball but not certain HPs you would say it needed tuning.

2. If you had one that would feed everything but SWC, the same thing, it would need tuning.

3.So if you have a firearm that fed everything from ball to empty cases, wouldnt you conclude that it was more reliable then the ones mentioned in 1-2?

Using it as the "only" means to measure is, well just plain dumb. But as an additional tool, seems to make sense.

These are the questions that were asked, but never answered. BE, you have any comments on this?

Can anyone answer these questions:

1. What part of it would not equate to the ability to feed a loaded ctg?

2. If a gun will strip an empty from its magazine and then continue to travel into the guns chamber, does that not show the ability to function in less then desirable circumstances?

3. When feeding an empty out of a mag succesfully, does this not show that the lips on the mag have the correct form thus not completely depending on the nose of the bullet to guide the ctg into the chamber?

JAG

I use emties (bullets, casing, and no primer or powder) to test for basic function when I install new parts. Saves time driving to the range to find out it doesn't work at all. The empties are also great for loading into magazines to practice reloads. I put red magic marker all over the heads to differentiate between real loads. Saves lots of time.

A gun that feeds empty cases out of the mag will feed everything. My Smith 4506 will feed empty cases mixed with live rounds. My STI will not feed empty cases at all, but it still runs 100%.

Make of that what you will.

I guess it makes gunwritters feel good about their new custom-smithed centerfold 1911 to be able to brag on how it feeds empty cases or something.

Glossary: Gunwritter (n)-- combination of 'gunwriter' and 'critter'. Not used to refer to present company. <_<

I guess I'm like most. I just make up dummy roiunds and mark them accordingly to check operation of the gun. You practice the way you play, with real weights and dimentions.

But I'm still trying to get a handle on the comments about how a "brass" casing can "tear up" a polished "steel" ramp on a gun barrel. B)

dj

I fail to see the reason behind trying to find out an explanation of why a pistol would NEED to feed empties. Like Eric, my STI's, Caspain’s and Colts do not feed empties, but run 100% with live ammo. My Glocks do not even feed empties. More important than that, they don’t NEED to.

The empty case test does nothing to determine anything about how your gun will feed real ammo. Nothing.

A loaded round may be 1.250 long. An empty case might only be 19-23mm long. That might not seem like a lot, but in gunsmithing terms, it is huge.

If you want to see if your gun will run the ammo you have loaded, load up some dummies.

Several gunsmiths responded to you at the 1911 forum. The answer was, and still is, that feeding empties means nothing.

So, what about all of the gunsmiths out there that do use this? Three smiths replied to that thread but never explained the reasons only what "they thought". Nobody offered a reason "why" this is not a valid test. Jeff Quinn of gunblast is quoted several times as saying its one of his tests. I am sure there are many other references out there as well.

Seems strange that ther are facts posted to back it up but none to disclaim it. Yet people still say it means nothing with only "just because" as a reason.

Personally I dont really care, but now I am curious.

Gone shooting,

JAG

Well, feeding empties isn't a bad thing for a 1911 to be able to do.. but not feeding empties isn't the end of the world either. The world is full of 'tests' that may or may not be very valid, but still get used because they don't hurt anything and might occasionally tell you something useful. There are also 'tests' that we do because they look cool or make customers happy. Who knows?

Because 'smiths are initially held responsible for every malfunction their customers encounter, no matter how crappy the ammo is that is being fed into the new custom blaster, some 'smiths will try to make sure the gun will feed everything short of the clients earplugs. The empty case test is just one of several proofs a guy can put a pistol through.

Jag:

We told you on that "other forum" that feeding empties is irrelevant, as that is not what the weapon needs to be able to feed in the first place. What is it you fail to understand here? Might as well function-check the gun with an empty .410 shotgun shell and a .45LC while your at it... :wacko: Look, an over-ambitious home-smith could easily over-throat a barrel in an attempt to make his/her gun feed empties, to the point where a serious lack of case support exists; essentially ruining the barrel in the process. Better to make a gun feed the ammo you actually expect it to shoot. IMO, showing the ability to feed cases is simply an unnecessary exhibition to impress the ignorant.

I have 2 stis, 2 svis and a para. I don't know if the sti or svi pistols will feed emptys or not but the para will shuck them all day long. If I ever go to a match that requires us to shoot emptys I will take the para, til then I think I will shoot the sti that is only proven with full ones. Larry

Anyway...

feeding empties is irrelevant, as that is not what the weapon needs to be able to feed in the first place

Not so much a 45 or 40 or super thing, but people used to pay good money to shoot 38 special wadcutters from a 1911. That is like feeding an empty, kindof.

Lee

The problem with using the "empties" test is that it doesn't take into consideration the oal and shape of bullet, which will cause more problems than one can imagine.

If the gun feeds empties, that just means it feeds empties - nothing more or less.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong ;)