Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is shooting SS the key to getting better

gmg

I am currently a C production shooter just getting off the ground. I've recently started shooting SS and a good friend of mine and Master class shooter asked me if I truly wanted to get better and of course I said I did. He told me to shoot my SS gun every chance I got and practice religiously with it. So my qyestion to you experienced shooters, is shooting SS efficiently the key to shooting any other discipline....along with dry fire, practice, etc.

It makes sense to me having only eight rounds per mag. Gotta make 'em count. Did TGO say something along these lines?

I think you'd be equally served with production. The lower capacity divisions place a great emphasis on your reloads as well as stage planning. That said the only thing that will make you better is the will to be better and the effort put forward. The benefit that production offers you above SS is that you are going to be scored minor. That said, it's not going to magically make you reload faster, plan stages better, or shoot more accurately. Again, it will put a greater emphasis on it requiring you to be more successful at those things to be competitive in those divisions. Production is a great place to start, either way its all about the work.

IMO, SS is by FAR the hardest division.

I think that is what he is trying to tell me that SS is the hardest and will require one to make each reload, each shot count. Putting ones self at a disadvantage will MAKE you improve or go home with your tail tucked. Need more mags though.

Is that kinda like the saying "Beware of a man that owns only one gun because he probably knows how to shoot it"?

Sure. Here's a golf analogy. If you cant hit the ball with the club you got, reaching for a different one wont help. wink.gif

Perfect pervasive practice is the key to getting better. Learning how to break down stages is certainly more difficult in an 8 round division though.

And that's another thing that I am working REALLY hard on is trying to break down or visualize a stage. Where to shoot from, where and when to reload, etc. I recently purchased Mike Seeklander's new training manual and hope it will help.

IMO, SS is by FAR the hardest division.

Ahem??

I was going to comment on the same thing this morning but decided to run the dogs instead.

If you want to be better in any division, shoot the wheel for a year.

It depends on how the stages are designed at your local matches too. Around me stages are designed mostly for open and limited so there aren't many tough decisions to make for planning out the stage for a SS shooter. For me it makes SS less interesting until SS season comes along for 2 months out of the year and the stages are designed for SS.

I recently started shooting SS, coming from shooting a G34 in idpa. In SS you have to rehearse the stages really well, most stages ive seen are sutup for limited and open unless your at the single stack nationals. Thats why i like SS more than ony other division, and i can also bounce back and forth from SS to CDP in idpa and take all my procedurals for dropping loaded mags.

Your only "key" now is settling on a division. Developing the fundamental skills in any one of the them, will help you with the others.

Jim

+1

Do you have to break stages down a little different in SS, maybe some, but really you are just reloading everytime you move and practicing your reload will take care of that.

But really whatever division you shoot in if you don't have the basics down, then it doesn't matter what you are shooting.

+1

Do you have to break stages down a little different in SS, maybe some, but really you are just reloading everytime you move and practicing your reload will take care of that.

But really whatever division you shoot in if you don't have the basics down, then it doesn't matter what you are shooting.

Exactly, the main thing i keep in mind on every stage is mag change just before i move or on the move

Edited by calvary45

The only magic bullets out there are practice and experience. Shooting a certain division, or using some gimmick will not make up for a lack of fundamentals or basic skills. Limited capacity division can help with the development of stage break down skills, but even this is not automatic.

I really thinking putting my SS through it's paces today (while saving pennies for a limited something amazing) made me realize how pure and fun a 1911 can be.

big holes, an amazing trigger, major power factor and then some. Plus I'm focusing on making hits and reloading constantly.

Besides having mags wrapped all the way around my back, I see no disadvantage. Plus it's fun. And it makes people think you know what you're doing :rolleyes:

btw, this animation is amazing and should be used in all my posts, no matter what! :sight:

Lets face it Revo IS the hardest division to shoot well at a match. Then again they don't make any stage revolver friendly except classifiers. With SS your at the bare edge on any legal stage. A legal stage has no more than 8 shots from one position and that is all you got plus 1. I guess you could shoot minor but why?

With that said you'll gain the most from picking a gun and shooting the blue off it. Every division has its advantages and disadvantages.

I get a kick out of the "this division is hardest" discussions. The bottom line is this, it's challenging to shoot 32 round field courses with a 6-shooter. Guess what, everyone else you're competing against is using the same gear! Same for SS. You only get 8 rounds and the gun is tough to reload... Same thing for your competition. No doubt you have to put more emphasis on certain skills (i.e. stage planning and reloading) but it's not inherently harder when everyone else has to do the same!! Since we don't shoot "head's up" with limited guys against revolver guys, it doesn't matter. One isn't harder than the next just different. While a limited gun may be easier to reload and hold more bullets, your competition has the same advantage. Now your emphasis is in movement or speed through positions. The emphasis on certain skill sets in a division will challenge you to improve those areas if you are going to be competitive. However, don't get stuck thinking that a certain division by itself will make you a better shooter.

Edited by Z-man

I think Open is the hardest division. It certainly has the most highly trained and superbly equipped competition.

It seems like the better shooters can shoot things as fast as they can see them. Competing with that is nothing compared to having to reload a few more times.

My $.02.

I started USPSA in production and have bounce back and forth between my G35 minor and 1911 for single stack and I found that having the extra couple rounds in production makes me push a little faster and throw shots a little faster/wilder at times. Whereas in Single Stack I definitly make every shot count. How the stages are a big part of that. Sometimes we'll have 8 steel plates through a port at 20 yards. In procuction I can afford to miss one or two, in single stack missing could mean a static reload, so there's a lot more emphasis on hitting it the first time. I think starting the the mindset of hitting all Alphas and all steel on the first shot has given me a good base to do well.

now that I have those basics of accuracy, reloads and such covers I can begin to focus on going faster and developing an acceptable sight picture. So I would definitly agree that shooting SS can be a good way to force yourself to have to shoot and reload well.