Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ContourHD Camera Review

I purchased a ContourHD camera late last year and had been toying with the idea of mounting it to my rifle and shotgun. After thinking for a while on how to convert their mounting system to a picatinny system, I began hacking something together. That night I got on their website to see if they had the specs for their mounting system listed so I could look into machining something, and low and behold they had just released a picatinny mount for the ContourHD and ContourGPS. So I ordered one and gave it a run at the 2011 Winter Classic in Bakersfield. Here are my experiences:

Overview

The ContourHD can run in several recording formats, including 1080p 30fps, 960p 30fps, 720p 30fps, and 720p 60fps. I chose 720p 60 frames per second because I wanted to make sure there was no choppiness with all of the movement. I purchased a 16GB SDHC card which gives you about 4 hours of total runtime. The battery is user replaceable, and seems to have a decent runtime. The lens is a 135 degree rotatable lens, so no matter how you orient the camera you can rotate the lens horizontal. There are even 2 lasers built in that will help you level the lens (hope no overzealous RO's throw a fit!)

Mount

The mount seems a bit flimsy in places, but very solid in others. There are tabs on both ends of the mount to hold the camera in place since there isn't a captive method built into the Contour mount. The mount does offer flexibility however, allowing you to mount on either side of the camera. The thumb screw on the pic mount seems a bit short as well, requiring you to almost remove the entire screw before the throat opens far enough to clear the rail. I have unscrewed it too far a few times, and have had to reassemble the clamp.

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

I mounted the camera on the left side rails of my PRI tube and the camera attached with no problem. It isn't the lowest profile, but it is fairly small for the resolution and has very low weight. It didn't affect balance as far as I could tell.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

I also have a Nordic clamp for my M2 with the pic rail on it so I mounted it up on the shotgun as well.

IMG_1438.jpg

Video

is part of the long range stage

is my experience with the shotgun mount. I am going to have to do more testing, but it appears the shotgun may have too much recoil.

is one longer stage into the sun

Conclusion

Overall, I think the ContourHD is a good camera for 3-gunning. It offers incredible resolution in a fairly small package, and is easy to operate. With their new picatinny mount and their headband mount, this camera can cover almost any stage in hi-def.

I have run one of them mounted to my hat, for a year or two. It is a great little camera. With it on the hat, I can see my reloads and gun handling, as well as the course itself. The audio is also really nice. I used it while an RO for the last ICORE IRC & Regional matches. The video of Vick taking a dive, in the ICORE forum, was taken with that camera.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use mine as a head mounted cam for USPSA/IDPA. I use the goggle strap and wear the goggles on my head backwards. Looks kinda weird but it works well.

I have some 1st person videos from my USPSA/IDPA matches. Unfortunately, I can't post links here yet (not enough posts) but if you go on youtube and look up "krdshrk" you'll find my videos.

I use mine as a head mounted cam for USPSA/IDPA. I use the goggle strap and wear the goggles on my head backwards. Looks kinda weird but it works well.

I have some 1st person videos from my USPSA/IDPA matches. Unfortunately, I can't post links here yet (not enough posts) but if you go on youtube and look up "krdshrk" you'll find my videos.

I upgraded to one of these last year. Great choice you will love it.

The "frikin' " lasers in the camera make mounting and aiming almost too easy, and with the massive ON/OFF slider, it makes it easy to fire it up.

I wear mine on the right side hearing protector - gives a great view of what I see, the gun, targets... look on RO faces.. :devil:

I have the hat from www.hatcams.com for use with my ContourHD. I've tried several different mounts for the camera, and this is the best one I have used so far. I generally double up ear protection---foam plugs and electronic muffs. The muffs over the hat make the whole thing quite stable. I haven't had any issues with the whole thing coming loose, unlike when I tried for a while mounting the camera directly to the muffs.

Edited by CJW

Thanks for the review, CJW! I have the I-kam, been letting some fellow shooters use them, and they love them. But they are not HD. Tried a pair of HD glasses like I-kam, a waste and they went back.

I've had the contour for a year, but have not been happy with the head mount strap of trying to attach it to the muffs. Thought of doing the Velcro to the hat routine when I saw this and thought, "what the heck"

Edited by vluc

I'm tempted but I already have a million hats.... Maybe I'll just modify one...

Not a bad notion. I believe they reinforce the brim so it can support a camera/phone. I thought of "engineering" one but decided not to.

I have the hat from ....

One of the issues with mounting the camera on the brim of your hat is the camera position will change depending on the sunlight. If you adjust your hat (up or down) depending on the sun conditions, your camera angle changes, and in a bright day with sun in your face, you might end up with your camera looking down at your firearm and not the desired focal point.

I ran one on the brim for a season and I spend too much time and effort worrying about the camera placement, each time I moved my hat. In wet conditions or if you are running from position to position, you do start to get some "flop" in the brim. Moving them to the muffs, it is in the same place each and every time.

How did you mount yours on your muffs? What mounting equipment?

Equipment needed.

1 pair of low profile muffs (I went with these because they already had a "flatish" edge.. and I double plug anyway.

1 Countour Flat surface mount

1 Belt sander

Directions:

Apply belt sander to right side ear muff to make a "flat" edge.

Mount flat surface mount to "new" flat edge of the muff. (which is nice and rough now to hold the adhesive).

Wait 4 hours for adhesive to bond

Put camera on mount

Aim with lasers while wearing on head

I never said it was pretty, but it sure does work.

(You never see the belt sander work anyway due to the mount and the camera covering it.) :cheers:

Done.

This is the viewpoint that the camera sees...

Edited by maineshootah

Even better is got to Home Depot and pick up some of the 3M Super Velcro...mine came in a gray box. Instead of little boy hooks and little girl loops like normal velcro it is to sets of little boy mushrooms and holds like bubble gum in your little sister's hair.

I put the velcro on my muffs and the side of the camera and viola. Play with the camera a little to get the angles right.

Got my hatcam and universal mount for the contour today, along with a flat mount. Just came back from a test run with it. Going to use it next weekend at a match and see how it works in real time. If the practice run in the back room is any indication, I think I may be liking this setup. Weight is a non-issue, I noticed nothing different when twirling about the room. I use my regular glasses and regular MSA muffs, so I have no different feel or view, laser seems easy enough to center, so we will give it a whirl and see what shakes out.

Edited by vluc