Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi imm with or whitout hybrid holes

Loki999

Hi all,

I've been shooting a fullsize svi with 3 holes in the barrel and a titanium 3 chamber comp.

Now im switching to the imm open and i wonder if you get a total different gun if you put 3 or 4 holes in the barrel.

Who has expiremented with the holes and did you liked it or why not.

Yes they are very loud, i think i will try it for a little without the holes. But eventualy i will put 3 or 4 in the barrel.

Anyone expiremented like this?

Very loud IMM with holes.

I have 4 holes in my open, but they are about 1/3 size of the IMM holes. Mine are about the size of a Brazos gun holes and I don't think it is any louder than a normal open.

In additon, it takes a heck of lot more powder for the IMM. You are pretty much filling the case.

Im wondering iff there are shooters who shoot an imm without holes, i think it's designed to be a flat shooting more backwards kicking gun., so you need holes right?

I shoot an IMM without holes, and I also shoot two similarly sized guns of a different make with two sizable holes - picture of one attached. There is no big difference, but the ones with holes do shoot a bit flatter. All three in 38 SC.

post-21305-093053200 1298921541_thumb.jp

Ok now i learned that it's not only the holes that work on my buddy's IMM.

But he has also lightend the slide and shoots with a cut off 8#spring.

9,6 grain VV 3n38 124 grain hornady federal small magnum primer.

I asked my gunsmith and he doesnt believe in slidelightening, his believes in training a lot...

I guess there are no shortcuts, and there are a lot of factors to be experimented with.

Loki, If you are going to get an SV IMM (which is a great choice) then I suggest trying a 4 port barrel with their 2 port Ti comp. This is the flattest shooting gun I've shot yet. I have tried many different barrel port configurations and none have performed as well as this set up. The weight of their guns is also centralized which gives a well balanced feel. This attribute allows for more precise transitions and a lot better/confident feel when shooting on the move. Some guns feel balanced when you hold them but when you actually shoot them you will notice a difference. I highly recommend getting an IMM with the 4 port barrel and 2 port Ti comp.

You did not specify if you are shooting 38 super or 9mm. I have been shooting a IMM 9mm for several years and have 2 hybrid ports. It will be difficult to make major in 9mm with more than 2 ports.

In 38 super you can definitely have 3 or more ports. My original 38 super IMM had 6 ports! It was extremely flat shooting but also EXTREMELY loud. Just be aware that the more ports you have the more powder you will have to use which will result in a louder gun.

You can always put more ports in a gun but it will be dificult to take any of them out.

The slide on a IMM is already as light as it should be. You will lose reliability if you go lighter.

Don

Loki, my slide has the rear swooped with a slide racker installed. As for more lightening, the gun is about.500 shorter and there is material removed for the hybrid rib (ports), then the rear swoop. This lightens the gun to a certain number for the gun to operate effectively. Infinity has done a lot or R&D work and they use an optimal slide weight which works very well for the gun without hurting the integrity and longevity of the gun with major loads. I used to do a lot of lightening cuts but, to a point, gained nothing but aesthetics. You want to remove some weight, but you are correct that taking to much away can be a issue with durability.

If you are attending any major matches(mostly east coast and central), I'm more than willing to allow you to burn some rounds on my gun. Infinity's platform is a runner...........

Give Brandon a call. He'll gladly answer any questions.

My gun is also in 38 Super comp.................

I have an older SV with six ports! Shots really flat and really soft. It is definitly painful for the RO, I do not noticed anything but I use gel pads on my MSA muffs.

It is at Infinity now get a new metal grip put on it. Call Brandon and chat with him or Call Chris T and ask his opinion.

Kodiak Precision is one of the few SV gunsmiths. Call Don. Don also did the trigger job. As whatmeworry says, you need a cigarette afterwards. It is that good.

i shot a first gen IMM gun a while back, andthe thing i did notice was that it was LOUD...and more concerningto me, was thatthe 'shockwave' instead of being around me and basically punishing the RO's, stopped right at my chest, sort of felt like someone with a big rubber mallet thumpin me on the chest with each shot...started to blink and flinch w each shot after only a couple mags with the thing...

Wow nice picture, i picked my gun up yesterday and im very happy with it.

I shot 200 rounds for accuracy en 50 rounds on a close target.

I'm very impressed with the accuracy and how easy the gun shoots, ill give it a try for some time without hybridholes.

next trainingsession tommorow, training stages.

Thanks for all the info everybody!

With the full complement of holes these can be a nightmare of blast and noise for the RO. I have actually given the clock to others while running folks with these on stages with enclosures that have to be shot from. You will not make friends with one of these :)