Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tom Sparacino

Jim O'Young

Words cannot express the shock and disbelief I feel. This afternoon I received word that Tom Sparacino passed away last night. He was a good friend, all around shooter and great source of inspiration.

You might have met Tom sometime on the range or at a match. He loved to shoot everything- Steel Challenge, Action Rimfire, USPSA, IDPA and ICORE. He was a serious shooter, but never took it too seriously and was always good for a laugh and a friendly smile.

But make no mistake; Tom was one hell of a shooter and competitor. At the beginning of the season several years ago, Tom had an accident that resulted in the inability to draw and shoot with his dominant arm. Undeterred, he trained himself to draw and shoot with his weak arm. With his will, determination and work ethic, he was able to win the Senior Class Champion title at the Steel Challenge that year. I will always be in awe and inspired by his achievement.

The world and shooting community has been diminished with the loss of Tom Sparacino. My deepest condolences go out to his family, friends and shooting buddies. I know he is in a place where the steel is always painted, the guns never jam and you don’t have to pick up brass.

Rest in peace, my friend. I’ll be shooting the plates and then having a hamburger (Tom's favorite) in your honor.

Thanks for the post Jim. Tom was a great guy, the news came as such a shock because I just saw him at the range on Sunday for the local match. When I said hi at sign-up and patted him on the back I had no idea it would be the last thing I would say to him. Truly a sad day.

My condolences to his family and friends, he will be greatly missed

Edited by TMC

I too saw him last Sunday.. the last thing I asked him was where his shooting bud Brian was at and a few other benign questions.. He always was so cheerful and I was always happy to see him. I had no idea that he wasn't a natural Lefty shooter.. He will be sorely missed at Richmond and likely at many other places and by those whose life he touched. He was truly a nice guy and could banter and taunt you playfully and without any malice whatsoever.. I asked him if anyone had ever referred to him as "sparky", short for his last name and he told me that people had given his father than nickname.. We'll miss ya Tom!

Vince-

Tom was a natural left handed shooter. When he injured his left arm, he taught himself to shoot right handed for the year. When he finally recovered, he switched back to shooting left handed.

It is both ironic and funny that you mentioned the nickname “Sparky”. It was a VERY sore subject. In the early 90’s there was a fire at our home range, the Sunnyvale Rod & Gun Club, which burned the range enclosure completely down. The fire was started when the muzzle flash from someone shooting ignited unburned powder that had accumulated in the sound baffles. Tom was one of those shooting when this happened, so for a short time, his “friends” at the club nicknamed him “Sparky”. He wasn’t too happy about the moniker, so of course, it really stuck for a while.

Yes, we will all miss Tom.

I did not know Tom well, but what I saw of him this past Sunday is what I always saw, good spirits, willingness to contribute with never a complaint (the man was always downrange with a roll of tape or can of paint when many less than half his age were goldbricking), love of the game, determination to do his best, but with the good grace to understand and accept that sometimes that wouldn't be world shaking.

We've had cold and wet weather here of late, but Sunday was a beautiful and bright day. I'm glad that it was that way for Tom's last match with us. I hope he enjoyed it as much as all the others over the years.

We shall all miss you, Tom.

OMG. I just saw him like 10 days ago at Yolo Sportsman. I asked him why he is late and is he shooting that day. He said, no. I just had a cataract surgery and still in the healing process. But he did invited me to shot in Richmond since he said he will be ready by then. I told him that I might not be able to make it to Richmond because of family obligations. I do not know Tom that much, but what I can say is his really a nice guy, cheerful and a happy person.

I'm sure all his friends in our shooting community will miss him. Condolence to his family.

Like Jim, i was blown away that Tom could retrain his mechanics to be as good as he was with the opposite hand. One of the nicest guys you'll ever know. I'm so sad to have not seen tom in awhile. But my world is better having known him.

RIP, my dago friend...

Man...Cant believe it. My wife and I really enjoyed regularly squadding with Tom at one of our locals over the space of years as well as traveling and shooting at area2 a couple of times. We both looked forward to those matches where we would shoot with Tom. We had lost contact with him this last year as we drifted away from shooting there for a while. Got a contact for his family?

I have shot with Tom many times over the last several years locally. I have also seen him while at the Nationals, Area 1 and Area 2. Every time I saw him we would talk about how fun it was to come out to competitions and do the coolest thing ever, run around and shoot guns. He had a great attitude and a young spirit. He was truly excited to participate in shooting. You meet really good people at matches.