Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm first reloads

kasen

I've just started reloading 9mm on my Dillon 550b press. I'm getting rounds through the press but I'm concerned with narrowing of the case that is being caused by stage 1 (which deprimes and reshapes). Here are the numbers for the reloads:

.388 Case diameter at head

.373 Case diameter at middle of case

.378 Case diameter at neck

As you can see the case is narrower in the middle. I've only seen factory ammo and it never looks like this. Any thoughts? Is this normal? I've backed out the stage 1 die further out than Dillon's instructions indicate it should be and it's still causing this unusual shaping...

I'm using mixed brass and 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ.

Edited by kasen

+1 for this: It is perfectly normal and some times referred to the 'coke bottle' shape.

I actually did this exact same post about 6 months ago. Anyway make sure your sizing die is just short of hitting the shell plate when it's fully up, and be sure to double check the loads in a case gauge, and even better funciton check them in your gun, before you load a bunch.

J

If you're new to reloading 9mm (or any other caliber) just make sure to case gauge! My achilles heel when I first started.

Case gauging ammo is not the be all, end all of a good reload. Many rounds will not case gauge but will work perfectly in your gun. I suggest that you use your barrel as that's what they will be fired in. Many people have had issues that they fought tooth and nail to get to case gauge only to find out that it really didn't matter in their gun.

Run the sizing die back down so you size as close to the extractor groove as possible. I like to use a small strip of paper as a go no go gauge. It should pull out with a slight drag but not go in.

The sizing die holds the bullet so a coke bottle look is good.

Follow Dillon's sizing instructions....definitely don't want to back your die out or you'll get chambering problems and a slew of other issues. I use Lee in my Dillon and screw 'em in till they touch the shellplate when the lever is actuated.