Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt System for 3 gun

mildot1

Just starting out in the 3/Multi gun game. I'm not even sure what class I would be in, thinking "tactical optics" Limited pistol, iron sighted shotty, and rifle with optic sight.

Very happy with the DAA gear for USPSA, not sure what the best set up for the new sport is?

I'm slender, going to be around a 36 belt. I figure 5- 4 rnd caddies, 2 pistol mag holders, and two ar mag holders.

I'm afraid I'm going to run out of room?

Has anyone used the "shooters connection" double AR pouch? How about the "blade tech" drop 3 mag system? Is that legal in USPSA matches?

I like my DAA pistol mag pouches but they do stick out aways and if they get bumped hard they do tend to move. Would the CR Speed work better?

Big fan of the "ghost" holster but don't know if it's the best choice for this sport.

What about the "safariland ELS system" is it worth the bucks?

open to suggestions

Thanks

Mildot

I find that AR magazines use up a lot of space, and don't add much. A 40rd mag in the gun should cover almost all stages, and a 30rd mag as an emergency backup in the back pocket is fine.

I keep four to six, 4 count shotshell holders, two or three pistol magazines (double stack 15rd, in a double mag carrier and one single carrier), and my pistol holster.

Fully loaded, my belt carries:

6x(4 count) shell holders = 24 shells + 8 in the gun = 32 shot shells.

40rd mag + 30rd mag back up = 70 rifle rounds.

3x(15rd mag) = 45 pistol rounds + 16 in pistol = 61 pistol rounds.

That's a lot of ammo...

Pistol holsters should have enough retention to hold it in while running, regardless of whether or not it is "locked" in place. Unless you don't plan on running between shooting positions.....

I run my open guns in a Ghost, for 3-Gun I'm running a production gun in a BladeTech holster. I think the ticket for shotgun is the vest with California Strippers. I think the vest is from Mark Otto you can find it on Triangle Shooting Sports site. The strippers on the belt limit bending over etc and just seem more practicle on the vest. I don't like adding weight to the shotgun its already heavy enough without hanging extra ammo on it. I run a single AR mag pouch behind the pistol mag holders, and also use a mag coupler for those occasions when the 42rd mag just isn't enough and as a fail safe.

ELS is absolutely worth the money, especially if you're in the market for a new system. It allows you to modify on the fly. Do you really need 5 shotgun caddies, 2 AR pouches, and 2 pistol pouches on each stage? Of course not. So why not have a system that allows you to build your belt for each stage?

For 3 Gun, I run a DAA belt with a Ready Tactical DOH for my pistol, two/three Bladetech pistol mag pouches, one Bladetech AR mag pouch and however many CCW 4 round shotgun shell caddies I may need for the stage. The only things that I slip on and off of the belt, pouch wise, are the caddies. I may not always carry the extra magazines if not needed, but those pouches stay on the belt.

Now, if I were starting fresh, I would definitely go to the ELS belt system.

I looked at the ELS & it is the way to go if your starting fresh. I hear its difficult to setup the first time but after that, its easy.

I already had $ invested in a CR Speed, so I went that route. I'm a 34" waist and I can get 6 four round CCW caddies between my holster (Bladetech) and pistol mag pouches (CR Speed) when they are at the midline. I have one Ready Tactical AR pouch behind my 2 pistol pouches. I put adhesive Velcro on each of the clips on the CCW caddies and the CR Speed pouches .

This setup worked nicely this past weekend. I could to to a safe area and remove or add whatever I needed for that particular stage.

Had a buddy use the safariland stuff and it was nice. Easy way to ditch the stuff and reconfigure on the fly. I usually run the strippers in the front only when needed for shotgun. I usually carry 1 maby 2 extra pistol mags. For the rifle, I use a mag to prevent a reload ie 45 rounder if needed in the gun. I have a mag pouch but rarely use it. The oh crap mag goes it the back pocket usually. Have never had to use it to date but its there if something happens with the mag in the gun.

The quick change is nice, but let's face it, there is a lot of down time in 3 gun. If I need to reconfigure my belt, it usually takes me longer to figure it out mentally, than it does to physically change out my stuff. Cheaper too.

The quick change is nice, but let's face it, there is a lot of down time in 3 gun. If I need to reconfigure my belt, it usually takes me longer to figure it out mentally, than it does to physically change out my stuff. Cheaper too.

That's the problem. I can't tell you the number of times I got to a stage, was almost ready to shoot and thought, oh, maybe one more Shotgun carrier and threw it on. Used to be I'd wing it and hope for the best. Now I just slip another one on with the ELS. The biggest advantage is not having to go to a safety area, unholster, leave the safety area, deal with you ammo pouches and mags, go back to the safety area and re-holster. If you've tried ELS for 3-Gun you won't go back. Period.

Use what you already have for a match or two. After you shoot a couple you will have a much better idea of how you want to configure stuff.

+1 after a few years you will still be configuring for each stage and match , having two belts can help a bunch.

Mark Otto makes soft side AR mag holders that I put at the back of my belt and leave in place on my primary belt.

I can put a mag in horizontal and not bang my back on it = but still reach it easy with my left hand. when I don't need it, the soft material compresses and lets me drive my truck to the next stage with my bet and gun on.

Like Chuck says having more than what you need is important, running out is no fun

Edited by AlamoShooter

Reading the stream of replies...I noticed the preferred configuration of 4 round shotshell carriers. Any specific reason for the 4 count, instead of the 6 count?

Curious, as I am in the process of assembling the gear needed to begin competing in 3-gun also.

I do my weakhand loading 4 shells at a time, so it's easier to grab all in the holder, rather than "feeling" for 4, I also own some 6 round holders, but only use those as a supplement on large stages. Also, the 6 rounders leave some nasty bruises on your beer gut :roflol:

Went with the ELS system, I hope it's worth the money cause they sure don't give them away!!!!!!!

Damn near $600.00 to set up a three gun belt by the time it's done.

Another money pit!!!!!!!!!!

Can't take it with you.

Thanks for the help

Mildot

RM3G was my first major match. I shot with the FN team plus a DPMS shooter. They all had the ELS system. I am a believer! I started buying ELS stuff from Optics Planet and I won a Safariland gift Certificate. I use it for 3G and USPSA. I ache 4 CR Speed belts sitting bare.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a relatively skinny chick (my 32" CR Speed belt has plenty of extra overlap), and I've never NOT been able to fit everything I need for all 3 guns on my belt. You should be fine with your 36" belt.

For pistol and rifle mags I use BladeTech Teklok pouches. I actually use the double mag pouches for pistol. And for shotgun, I use the 4-round California Competition Works pouches, so I even have to add a couple extras so I can carry all the shells I need.

That being said, I certainly agree with everyone who said it's worth having an extra belt so you don't have to constantly reconfigure during the match.