Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which state to move to?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good shooting in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma.

But remember, these are big states and in some areas like Houston you can shoot a match every weekend. Some other areas of the state you are looking at a 2 hr drive each way.

Take into consideration taxes for property and income, it may narrow down your choices.

Bill

Georgia's cool because in addition to everything you listed, we have easy access to many neighboring states that expand our choices by a large margin. And when it's an event requiring air travel, we have a large airport nearby.

Large airport nearby? When's the last time you drove from Valdosta to Atlanta? :roflol:

In Florida, there truly is an airport within about two hours no matter where you are. Only problem, is that's there very few USPSA clubs in North Florida....Anything north of Orlando is God's country, south of Orlando and you are in the peoples republic of fill in the blank.

If I moved south it would likely be Georgia. I love the accent and the fact that the women are so friendly that you feel like you have a chance to get laid at the gas station. The snakes and cockroaches that are huge is a down side though. :surprise:

Arizona, any place within driving distance of Rio Salado.... You'd be shooting with some of the best all year long.

When my company wanted to transfer me here from Wisconsin,.....I left a vapor trail! :cheers:

At my age, I'll take the heat over cold,.. anyday!

Scottsdale, AZ! You can attend all the Phoenix/Tucson matches you want. Phoenix proper gets REALLY hot...not sure if it's all the concrete or what.

The humidity, crocs, rain, cockroaches, and hurricanes would launch Florida a long way off the list. I'll deal with cold/snow before rain.

TX would be good, but all the land is private, so unless you shoot at a club, you're out of luck. I've heard it's hard to find a range out to some distance (for rifle) in TX.

AZ and NM have plenty of BLM/public land so you can go out in the desert and shoot if you want.

Scottsdale, AZ! You can attend all the Phoenix/Tucson matches you want. Phoenix proper gets REALLY hot...not sure if it's all the concrete or what.

The humidity, crocs, rain, cockroaches, and hurricanes would launch Florida a long way off the list. I'll deal with cold/snow before rain.

TX would be good, but all the land is private, so unless you shoot at a club, you're out of luck. I've heard it's hard to find a range out to some distance (for rifle) in TX.

AZ and NM have plenty of BLM/public land so you can go out in the desert and shoot if you want.

Florida is called the "Sunshine State"...Yes it rains, it may be flooding in the morning, but clear blue that afternoon. The humidity, well I got nothing for that. It is humid. Not so much in the north half of the state, but get down south and it's brutal. We have no "crocs" in Florida, only gators, and they are generally non aggressive, except for when the mother is protecting her nest, and they taste pretty damn good! Yes, we get hurricanes, but inland from the coast, they generally have a chance to die down before pounding you (and sometimes it's pretty cool to see Mother Nature at her fiercest!). If I'm not mistaken, it gets hotter in AZ than FL, and you get sandstorms and droughts. There is lots of public lands in north FL, not so much in the south. And we have no state income tax....

Glad someone from FL could correct my errors. I guess some of those are common misconceptions about the state.

True enough about the droubts, sandstorms not so much unless you live right next to a dry lakebed. Just pour some water on your head when it's 105 outside and you'll be fine. lol. I guess in FL you WOULD be close to some mega cities and the beach! Sounds pretty good since AZ is at least 10hrs from the beach and not many metropolis' around.

There is something like 20 Hospitals in the Seattle Washington area. It has a ton of shooting at the Renton Club, and the Three Gun Match in Ephrata is exceptional. Here is a website that may help. www.washingtonhealthcarecareers.com

Georgia sounds cool, I will let you know what I think after next week, as I plan on flying over to shoot a little the end of this week. I do not think I would mind Arizona. I really like where I live on the East side of Washington, but we do have some snow, and it gets cold, and we do not have as many clubs in close proximity to my house.

Good luck,

Gene

Unless your retired, work is really the bigger consideration and Texas beats both Phoenix and Tampa/Orlando.

Lived in both Arizona and Florida and prefer Florida. Again work is the driving factor if I could I would live in Asheville NC.

So, I'm thinking Arizona is at the top of the list right now.

Location suggestions from residents? Close proximity to a hospital (I'm an RN), and to USPSA and 3 gun matches are requirements.

East side has quite a few hospitals Banner is the main one I think and are in East Mesa.(power rd.,higley rd., lots of assisted living deals)

East Mesa puts you 1/2 hour from Rio Salado, 1.5-2.0 from Tucson matches, 1.0 from Ben Avery.

Not really trying to boost the population out here but.......since someone mentioned it Central Az has some of the better bass fishing in the western states. 7 or more lakes within 1-2 hours of Phoenix. Plus if you need a snow fix that's only a couple hours drive also in the winter.

P.S. back to upper 60's low 70's this week :sight:

Location suggestions from residents? Close proximity to a hospital (I'm an RN), and to USPSA and 3 gun matches are requirements.

East side has quite a few hospitals Banner is the main one I think and are in East Mesa.(power rd.,higley rd., lots of assisted living deals)

East Mesa puts you 1/2 hour from Rio Salado, 1.5-2.0 from Tucson matches, 1.0 from Ben Avery.

Not really trying to boost the population out here but.......since someone mentioned it Central Az has some of the better bass fishing in the western states. 7 or more lakes within 1-2 hours of Phoenix. Plus if you need a snow fix that's only a couple hours drive also in the winter.

Back to the upper 60's and low 70's? We never left!

Here I am trying to sell Florida, when I wouldn't mind moving to Arizona! :roflol:

Well, I live in NM. We have a match every Sat and Sunday of some type. Snow stays on the street about 24 hours. Even then not all that much snow. Low humidity! No offense to Texas but USPSA ranges are not all that prevelant. Parts of Texas are very cold. Corpus is humid! I have lived in Dallas and windsurfer in Corpus. Tulsa is hot and humid in summer and cold and icy in winter. Two Nationals in a row were flooded. I have shoot in WA. Can you say rain with plastic on targets.

That said Rio Salado, South Mt, Ben Avery, and SGC! not just shooting on weekends but most days of the week. Check out Tues Night steel list! 140 shooters every time! then more GMs than anywhere in the world.

rio is my home away from home!

Edited by pjb45

Well, I live in NM. We have a match every Sat and Sunday of some type. Snow stays on the street about 24 hours. Even then not all that much snow. Low humidity! No offense to Texas but USPSA ranges are not all that prevelant. Parts of Texas are very cold. Corpus is humid! I have lived in Dallas and windsurfer in Corpus. Tulsa is hot and humid in summer and cold and icy in winter. Two Nationals in a row were flooded. I have shoot in WA. Can you say rain with plastic on targets.

That said Rio Salado, South Mt, Ben Avery, and SGC! not just shooting on weekends but most days of the week. Check out Tues Night steel list! 140 shooters every time! then more GMs than anywhere in the world.

rio is my home away from home!

I remember ALB as having a very moderate climate when I was there. As said it would snow every once in a while then quickly melt.

Summer is less brutal than here also.

+1 on Tuesnitesteel, a real low key match once a week with lots of shooters.

Back to the upper 60's and low 70's? We never left!

Here I am trying to sell Florida, when I wouldn't mind moving to Arizona! :roflol:

:roflol:

Man that last cold front was brutal to me, with a new record low/high or how ever you say that (43-44 for a high/lows in the 20's)

my stink'n bones still hurt!

Edited by Powder Finger