Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inserting Mag automaticly racks the first round

whittlebeast

I was at the range the other day with a long time shooter. He popped a loaded mag into my new EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Match and was shocked that the slide automatically released the lock and fed the first round. The gun was ready to rock and roll. He thought that there was something was wrong with my gun as he had never seen one do that.

After he questioned it I did a little playing with my gun as it was totally unloaded and noticed that all it took was a solid thump on the butt of the gun to release the slide.

Is this by design on the race guns or is this out of the ordinary?

Here is a demo video

Andy

I used to own a s&w sigma, and in the reading materials it was stated that it does this by design, to facilitate a faster slide lock reload. So, it may not be an accident, or anything wrong with it.

My M&P9 L has done this since day one. Some people say that theirs also slam charges but sometimes doesn't strip a round off of the mag; I have never had it not strip one. I have tried seating the mag harder, softer, funny angles, etc. and can't get it not to feed.

The reason I mention it is because after I became sure that it will always strip another round I started to use it to my advantage by running the gun dry if the situation gave an advantage. I know some people will say I am waiting to get burned :D (which I can understand). I did make up my mind that if it happens once I'm done.

Physics... It's the law. He probably got a gun with a slide stop on the lower end of thickness tolerance for the area that engages the slide or possibly the slide notch was cut too shallow.

Being a lefty, I massage my slides stops so they will drop very easily since I'm using my trigger finger to activate the slide lock. Most of my guns with filed slide stops will drop the slide with a good, heavy "thud" of a reload.

If the slide stop lever has a spring to lower it (Glock, M&P etc), then the gun will do this by bumping the grip in a forward motion. 1911's (and designs) don't a have a spring to lower the slide stop lever, the slide physically lowers it when pulled rear ward.

My G34 would do this with some regularity. I did, on one and only one occasion, have the gun fail to feed the top round out of the mag when this happened. A tug on the slide rectified the problem. (Had to happen during a match, of course.) The "slide goes forward automatically" (no pun intended) effect hasn't happened to me in years. Guess I just don't whack on the gun as hard as I used to. :D

Andy, you might want to get out of the habit of sweeping yourself when you are unloading your gun. Maybe it's the angle of the video, but it looks like the muzzle was pointed directly at your pinkly finger at 0:02 and your pinky and ring finger at 0:03.

My G34 would do this with some regularity. I did, on one and only one occasion, have the gun fail to feed the top round out of the mag when this happened. A tug on the slide rectified the problem. (Had to happen during a match, of course.) The "slide goes forward automatically" (no pun intended) effect hasn't happened to me in years. Guess I just don't whack on the gun as hard as I used to. :D

Ive gotten god at slapping the mag in hard enough that it will go forward on my g17. g34, or g24 almost every time. not had one yet that didnt chamber a round. I noticed at first it would do it sometimes now I can get it to almost every time!

I actually like it wish it would do it 100% of the time

I had a custom 2011 that used to misengage the slidestop, and an open breach with a mafazine would sometimes slide into battery and load itself while It sat on a bench or in my hand. I once inserted a full mag, and dropped the mag with the slide locked, and the mag dropped but the gun went into battery and the millisecond the the slide had to drop, it chambered a round. Really scared me when I saw the cartridge in the chamber. It was a HPF Heavy pucker factor!

JL

My M&P always does it and I like it. I don't have to SLAM the mags home to do it either. Just seat them positively as anyone would when doing a reload in a competition.

There are tons of posts on the M&P forum of people complaining about it though and wanting it "fixed".

Edited by waktasz