Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Powder Funnel in a 550b?

I see this can cure the sticking on the upstroke. But on Dillon's website the funnels appear to be the same. They even show the same part number. But if you look at the conversion kits the funnel looks different.

So what's the real deal here? Anybody really running the 1050 funnel on their 550?

Thanks

Its been many years sense I had a 550 , but I think its the same as on my 1050. the part # are off some times due to extra pieces.

the 223 shell plate is a different # than the 38 super comp = bit it is the same size

One more thing I did not know

Edited by AlamoShooter

dillon

Looks for Covered Parking in Dillon's lot

Group:

Classified Posts:

1,032 Joined:

16-January 02 Gender:Male Location:Scottsdale,Az Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

On the 1050/Super 1050, the powder funnel is cone-shaped, and only flares the case mouth. The reason for this is that the case mouth is expanded at the swaging station on the 1050 series. This means there is less upward effort required to remove the funnel from the case, giving a smoother handle operation. The standard powder funnels will work on the 1050 series, but it increases handle effort a bit.

Don't know if this is still true. Always wanted to know myself. Final answer Dillon?

Hello: If your brass has no small dings in the rim at the top there should be no problem with the 1050 tapered funnel. What I did when loading 40 brass was use a 9mm powder funnel. That way it opened up the rim and flared the top. Worked great and took less effort. Another thing I did was polish the funnel which helped also. Thanks, Eric

dillon

Looks for Covered Parking in Dillon's lot

Group:

Classified Posts:

1,032 Joined:

16-January 02 Gender:Male Location:Scottsdale,Az Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

On the 1050/Super 1050, the powder funnel is cone-shaped, and only flares the case mouth. The reason for this is that the case mouth is expanded at the swaging station on the 1050 series. This means there is less upward effort required to remove the funnel from the case, giving a smoother handle operation. The standard powder funnels will work on the 1050 series, but it increases handle effort a bit.

Don't know if this is still true. Always wanted to know myself. Final answer Dillon?

That is still correct.

I have both funnels. There is a great difference in length between the 2. I bought the 1050 to try and eliminate the sticking on the upstroke but have yet to try it. Seems a lot of polishing on the 500 funnel helps a great deal to eliminate sticking. Just my .02 YMMV.

Hmm... Several answers that don't quite answer the question. Close but not quite.:) Here are a few more:

Do I need to expand the case? Since a 1050 funnel does not expand the case will it still load OK?

It is sticking really bad today since I plugged a Udie into the mix. I have been sitting at the kitchen table for an hour trying to work the funnel down a little. Simply put, "Scr&w that." The brass actually won't even push onto the funnel unless its on the machine, it is that tight.

As for polishing. I have pulled this thing out several times to polish it and it never helped. In my case that's not the answer.

Thanks

Let me add this. I just got off the phone with Dillon. The funnel on a 1050 is called an activator. I was told running a 1050 "Activator" on a 550 will not work. I won't have any expansion capabilities and won't be able to seat a bullet.

So what is the trick to running an activator since some have reported doing it?

Thanks

I'm probably wrong here, but follow the reasoning;

1. The crimping die doesn't resize so why do you need to expand a straight walled case that won't be resized back? Maybe only to help hold the bullet up when seating.

2. If #1 is valid, all you need is to bell the case to prevent shaving and help hold the bullet up.

3. If 1&2 are good to go, and a 1050 funnel fits and more easily bells the case, then prob solved (maybe).

Just MHO.

i heard on the 1050 the funnel is heat treated otherwise the same as 550 and 650 because of more wear and tear

They are not the same. The funnel"Activator" for the 1050 is cone shaped and only flairs the mouth. It doesn't have the expanding stem that goes inside the case.

• 4 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

After not gatting any solid info from the many replies I went ahead and ordered a 1050 powder activator (PN 13005) to replace the funnel on my 550. It came in the mail today. After some adjustments for length(it is much shorter) I ran a few pieces of brass through it.

WOW! I can't even feel the brass being flared.

I will load up some rounds next week and report back. But so far this looks like $23 well spent.

It is extremely smooth! It solves the problem I had with sticking on the up stroke. You really can't even tell when it touches.

The only thing I am not sure about is the odd shape of the round when loaded. Brian noted that it would be slightly buldged but used in conjunction with the U-die it almost looks like a water tower!:goof:

It is extremely smooth! It solves the problem I had with sticking on the up stroke. You really can't even tell when it touches.

The only thing I am not sure about is the odd shape of the round when loaded. Brian noted that it would be slightly buldged but used in conjunction with the U-die it almost looks like a water tower!:goof:

Purely cosmetic!

;)

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is a really old thread but does anyone know if they still make the part mentioned above? I can't find it on the Dillon site and the 650 9mm powder funnel is really annoying and slowing the process. My 10mm and .45 powder funnels work great but the 9mm sticks like crazy. I have polished it but it's still really bad after the first few rounds.

Thanks,

Ron

13005 powder activator pistol

Thanks. Found it under the 1050 powder measure parts rather than powder funnels. Does this work with all pistol calibers then?

Yes. It does not expand the case mouth at all. It only puts a bell on it.

I am going to have to try it then since loading 9mm has become a pain with how bad it sticks to the funnel. My other Dillon funnels don't stick at all so not sure why this one is so bad. I actually have a blister on my hand from loading 300rds of 9mm yesterday. I have to really pull hard to get the cases unstuck and I am barely putting enough bell in them to get the bullets to sit on top. With the .45 and 10mm, I can't even feel the cases being belled.

I took the swager off my 1050 before I even loaded a round. So, I'm not expanding my 40 or 9mm brass, only belling at the powder station. I've never had any problems doing it this way. This would be the same as using the1050 actuator/funnel on a 550.