Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI or SVI

Tim Dowdle

I'm looking for pros and cons for SVI frames/guns vs STI frames/guns. I've shot IDPA for 15 years to avoid the high cost of an open gun. I want to buy or have an open gun built. I see more STI guns on the range, but I've looked at the SVI guns and they are impressive. I'd like to hear from some experienced open shooters. While we are at it, what cartridge is king for comp guns these days? I didn't think 38 super would ever be beat, but I see a lot of 40's at matches.

For open, .38 super/super comp is a popular cartridge with an established history, but 9mm driven to major PF has gained popularity since being legalized for Open in 2004.

In your quest of SV vs. STI, just know that you can buy STI frames/components to have a gunsmith build you what you want with a polymer grip. You can't get a frame from SV anymore. They'll build you a nice custom gun, but metal grips are the only option anymore. In the end, either will serve you well.

I've owned, shot or handled guns from many, if not most, of the big names at this point....honestly, there isn't a whole lot of difference when you're at the upper end. Mostly, it's a style thing (not cosmetics) i.e. they build the kind of gun you think you'd like, or it's a cosmetic thing, that makes people pick one over the other. R,

To the OP, I was recently in your shoes and very new to Open. You can't go wrong with either of the mentioned brands. For myself, I went with an STI custom build clambered in 38 super auto. My main factor why I bought STI is that STI is about 25 mins from where I live and it definitely helps that my gunsmith works at STI also. I once heard a shooter say, "it is funny that a gunsmith builds more 38 super comps, but they shoot 38 super auto". My gun is my gunsmith's ex-main open gun.

Tim,

Give them a call and ask questions to see who you are most comfortable with. After talking with Brandon the first-time at SVI (which lasted almost an hour) I went with them. Many calls and experiences later,I am more than satisfied and they turn out a great product! :bow: The only down side is the wait for any gun that you have made. It seems like an eternity, but they are true craftsmen!

Good Luck :cheers:

Hello: I went a different route and bought a used open pistol in 9mm. I wanted to make sure I liked shooting open. I shot that pistol all year and enjoyed it very much. It was a shorty and I wanted to try a 5" 9mm so I am building a couple of those to try this year. I would look for a used pistol first and save the wait time and also get a pistol that runs. I would check locally first then keep checking here. Spring time is when some guys get there new stuff and sell off the old stuff. Either the STI or SVI or a custom will be good. Thanks, Eric

- A complete STI gun, bought from them or one of their suppliers is an off the shelf gun.

- STI also sells component parts, which are bought and gunsmith fit together (custom).

- SV build each gun to order, I believe, from a list of option. These are more semi-custom.

- SV also has a lot of unique small parts and pieces. Most of their stuff is milled from bar-stock material.

You didn't need to stay away for 15 years. :) Open is just one equipment division of USPSA.

Here is a quick/basic run down of the different divisions and what fits in them: http://www.brianenos...showtopic=22336

Hello: I went a different route and bought a used open pistol in 9mm. I wanted to make sure I liked shooting open. I shot that pistol all year and enjoyed it very much. It was a shorty and I wanted to try a 5" 9mm so I am building a couple of those to try this year. I would look for a used pistol first and save the wait time and also get a pistol that runs. I would check locally first then keep checking here. Spring time is when some guys get there new stuff and sell off the old stuff. Either the STI or SVI or a custom will be good. Thanks, Eric

+1 I stated out with a $1200 used gun, 3 years later when I knew what I wanted I got one built by my local smith. All fo the STI/SVI's I've bought used (5 or6) have all run and been good guns. SVI's are total custom builds, and the Custom built STI's are their equal, the off the shelf guns from STI are not but are good for this game I think up to master class. Dawson and Brazos sell an enhanced version and they run when you get them. So get a used one or off the shelf to learn with while your new custom is being built, then keep it for a backup gun. It's nice to have one its way less crazy to switch guns than try to fix it in the middle of a match.

The only STI I own is a .45 Trojan that rarely gets used. I replaced all the parts in it.

My SVs, Open, Limited (2) and SS are all custom built guns. STI is off the shelf. STI by gunsmiths are tuned and have replaced parts with the gunsmith or owners preference.

There is a huge difference in the quality of the guns with regards to Off the Shelf and Custom built. There is no getting around that fact. The gun in and of itself will not make you a better shooter, if it runs the way it is suppose to run.

38SC is a great round. It is more expansive than 9mm but you get many more reloads out of each piece of brass.

Call Brandon! When I first brought a STI frame kit, I was brand new to the sport. I call about 5 known gunsmiths and asked them their preference. They all said STI. Two years later I found out why; SV only sold to a select few of custom gunsmiths. I met one of those gunsmiths and sold the STI and have been buying SV ever since and have not regretted it one bit.

The question is meaningless. It is not the base platform that determines the gun's quality, it is the smith's work. The choice of the middle letter is at least tertiary if not even less significant. Whatever you decide today, will most likely NOT be your favorite gun once you get experience, and sweating this choice will not make you a better shooter.

Listed to good advice here - buy a good used gun, and start shooting. Things will become far more clear in a few months.

The question is meaningless. It is not the base platform that determines the gun's quality, it is the smith's work. The choice of the middle letter is at least tertiary if not even less significant. Whatever you decide today, will most likely NOT be your favorite gun once you get experience, and sweating this choice will not make you a better shooter.

Listen to good advice here - buy a good used gun, and start shooting. Things will become far more clear in a few months.

Edited by Foxbat

Im with G-man, i was asking myself the same question, SVI or STI. I had an SVI limited gun, and now run a STI-frame LIMCAT. SVI guns are nice and pretty AND reliable. and there are alot of reliable and competent gunsmiths out there that will give you a gun, maybe nicer, but will surely perform as good if not even better. have you seen that McLearn gun Nils used? pretty nice huh?

In the end, if you go STI/SVI route it will be a custom gun. it will be to whatever liking you want. It all boils down to who will be the 'smith. On the line it doesn't matter if it looks pretty or not. good ammo quality, working tuned parts, its all you need.

38 is still king. i shoot 9major because its tiring shooting 38. i have a bad back. Majority of shooters prefer 38super but not necessarily shooting it. And most of shooters shooting 9 is probably shooting it due to brass :ph34r: probably.

+1 I stated out with a $1200 used gun, 3 years later when I knew what I wanted I got one built by my local smith. All fo the STI/SVI's I've bought used (5 or6) have all run and been good guns. SVI's are total custom builds, and the Custom built STI's are their equal, the off the shelf guns from STI are not but are good for this game I think up to master class. Dawson and Brazos sell an enhanced version and they run when you get them. So get a used one or off the shelf to learn with while your new custom is being built, then keep it for a backup gun. It's nice to have one its way less crazy to switch guns than try to fix it in the middle of a match.

+2 -- I spent $1800 on a used basic STI Trubor that had ~8000 rnds and looked pretty decent. I've only shot it a bit last year in one match and for load development. So far its been great. At some point in the future if I want to sell it I, expect I'll be able to get pretty close to what I paid for it (assuming I don't mess it up some how). I think a used gun is a much safer investment until you a) know you want ot keep up with it, and B) know what you want in/on a custom build.

SV frames/slides & small parts are harder, and much more to spec. each gun is built custom for the individual. I wish I had the option to run polymer grips on a new SV. I wish the new grips used the old mag release and mags. I wish I had a magwell assortment as well.

"The carbon steel and stainless steel components are all heat treated to a rockwell C 40-42. This is the optimal hardness for tensile strength and wear resistance. Our competition only offers dead soft frames and components at rockwell C 17-22."  

You now do have an assortment of magwells. Check their website under various parts. I too did not take to the steel grips and was against it for at least a year. I was told to try it and kept saying it was too heavy. Well now I have a 9 major with the steel grip and my 38SC is on it's way to have one put on. It's the future so when you go to try it, don't just feel it, see if you can get to shoot a stage with it.

Please excuse this interruption, but again we have run afoul of the Forum Guidelines:

Restricted Content

Politics

Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

• USPSA vs IPSC

• IPSC vs IDPA

• STI vs SVI

• Limited 10 vs Limited Division

• This Division vs That Division

• This Government vs That Government

• Gun Control Issues

Closed.