Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holster for M&P

treefarmer

Hey shooters, Just wondering if anyone uses the Blade Tech DOH Holster for your M&P 9, and how do you like it, and would you recommend it for a first holster. Is it legal for USPSA production?

I have a Blade Tech DOH for my M&P Pro, and it is legal for Production Division, but you will have to check one thing...that it stays within the 2" from gun to inside of the inner belt rule listed in the rules. As delivered, mine was over 2", so I added a spacer (washer) to the bottom attachment screw to shift the top closer to my belt. If I was buying a new holster today, I'd order the Ready Tactical DOH as I also think the hanger is made better, and I was really impressed with the SS legal holster I bought from them (through CPWSA). R,

Also give Kolbeson Leatherworks a look. Quality is on par with Ready Tactical, and way better than Blade-tech. Cost is a little cheaper, and Josh also hand forms all of his gear. You can order directly from Josh, and custom options are usually free.

Also give Kolbeson Leatherworks a look. Quality is on par with Ready Tactical, and way better than Blade-tech.

In what way is the Blade-Tech inferior in quality? What problems have you experianced with Blade-tech, personally?

Also give Kolbeson Leatherworks a look. Quality is on par with Ready Tactical, and way better than Blade-tech.

In what way is the Blade-Tech inferior in quality? What problems have you experianced with Blade-tech, personally?

I don't dislike Blade-Tech (have four or five of them), but I have had minor fit issues with them...mostly in Glock models for some reason. The Ready Tactical holster I just got seems to be fit a little better and maybe a little crisper in the details. That's a small sample size, so it could just be coincidence. R,

I have the DOH and I will second what G-Man said. That thing definitely pushes the measurement limits. You can measure from the attachment point even without a gun and see that it is extremely close. I would go as far to say that if someone pushed the issue at a match you might get burned (or at least have to remove the offset). Adding the washer like he said is sort of like going 135 power factor; makes you safe without a real detriment.

The Blade-Techs I've had have all had minor imperfections, whether it be lines that aren't straight, sight channels that are crooked, or holsters that are slightly warped. None have been bad enough to affect function except for one holster that I had to file the sight channel on. The Kolbeson holsters have none of those issues.

Please consider Center of Mass holsters as well. There ARE a ton of choices. I have Blade Tech, Fobus and others holsters and like them well. I also have several Center of Mass holsters and recently got a production Competition belt, holster and mag pouches from them for a CZ75 I'm running. I'm very happy with the fit & finish. I am also impressed with Rick's willingness to support some of the big matches here in Colorado with products for our prize tables. By the way!!! We have a very fun non-standard USPSA match coming up in May 20-22, The RM300. This match is a blast if you really like to shoot a lot!! The name of the match, RM300 refers to the number of rounds you'll need to complete the match if you don't miss! (I'd bring more and ALL the carriers & mags you have, some of the stages are devious!!) The prize table is generally VERY nicely attractive thanks to the efforts of Jerry Westcott and the generous support of many names in the firearms industry. Worth it if you'd like to make a trip to Colorado for a really fun match!! Hope I don't get in trouble for the shameless plugs!!

The Blade-Techs I've had have all had minor imperfections, whether it be lines that aren't straight, sight channels that are crooked, or holsters that are slightly warped. None have been bad enough to affect function except for one holster that I had to file the sight channel on. The Kolbeson holsters have none of those issues.

:surprise: WOW, thats some weird problems to have with kydex holsters. I have never seen anything like those things with dozens of kydex holsters from any maker. Especially Bladetech. Have any photos of those issues? I used to be in the holster making business, and knowing how they are made I can not for the life of me come up with how these issues could happen. :blink:

:surprise: WOW, thats some weird problems to have with kydex holsters. I have never seen anything like those things with dozens of kydex holsters from any maker. Especially Bladetech. Have any photos of those issues? I used to be in the holster making business, and knowing how they are made I can not for the life of me come up with how these issues could happen. :blink:

I just got a Bladetech that doesn't retain my M&P 9L very well. I'm talking to their customer service and I think they're going to have me send it in for replacement.

I don't think it affects the retention of the gun, but the holster is also pretty asymmetrical, with some random irregularities that I never saw in my Comp-tacs. Take this for example:

post-23765-063231700 1296312735_thumb.jp

The sight channel was a little crooked. Is that normal for Bladetech?

Is the Blade-Tech holster considered a kydex, I'm thinking the material its made from, and will the hair dryer deal work on it ?

Depends on the holster, Bladetech makes both. The kydex is what I have used from them. All have been perfect, I doubt you will need the hairdryer treatment. They are good people and stand by their product, order with confidence.

Note: I am not sponsored by them, but were I to be sponsored by a holster maker they would be my preferance.