Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Buffer tube/Spring Noise

Blackfin2

Hello to all, I believe I have a problem with my AR. The noise that comes from my buffer tube/spring is unbelievably loud upon firing. I can hear more noise coming from the stock/spring movement than the actual percusion. That sounds crazy or maybe I am sensitive to it but it is incredibly loud. WHat are you all using to soften the noise of the suffer spring moving inside the buffer tube/stock. I am using a fixed A2 stock with stock spring, spring tube and buffer. Is there something that I can add inside of or outside of the buffer tube to quieten it down? Are you all using a particular brand of tube, spring or buffer? Is there a treatment to the stock?

Thank you

Wayne

Hello to all, I believe I have a problem with my AR. The noise that comes from my buffer tube/spring is unbelievably loud upon firing. I can hear more noise coming from the stock/spring movement than the actual percusion. That sounds crazy or maybe I am sensitive to it but it is incredibly loud. WHat are you all using to soften the noise of the suffer spring moving inside the buffer tube/stock. I am using a fixed A2 stock with stock spring, spring tube and buffer. Is there something that I can add inside of or outside of the buffer tube to quieten it down? Are you all using a particular brand of tube, spring or buffer? Is there a treatment to the stock?

Thank you

Wayne

JP spring and lube!!

Better ear plugs??? :P

You must be young, shoot long enough and you will probably loose nough of your hearing you wont notice it. Or you will get used to it. In the meantime some light grease on the spring will help...not too much though.

Im def as a stump, thats my point if I hear it, its really bad. I love your logo, yo must be a fellow floridian, where do you shoot?

Wayne

You must be young, shoot long enough and you will probably loose nough of your hearing you wont notice it. Or you will get used to it. In the meantime some light grease on the spring will help...not too much though.

Hernando sportsmans club off us19 just south of Homossassa. Good club, thats worth the trip if you are not too far.

Try a little grease on that spring, it will help. Some A2 stocks with their thin and hollow construction can be louder than others. They seem to echo the spring noise.

For the longest time I've been using a full size buffer spring that has been used in other rifles that probably had over 10k rounds through them. When I would cycle the action anyone that was near me thought my rifle was super dry cause it would make this horrible screeching sound. You could shake the rear end of the rifle and hear the spring bounce around in the buffer tube, rifle shot great and never let me down despite the noise. Last year at RM3G, JP handed out a bunch of their Buffer springs to shooters, so I picked one up and put it in my rifle, Wow! no sound at all.

Im def as a stump, thats my point if I hear it, its really bad. I love your logo, yo must be a fellow floridian, where do you shoot?

Wayne

Ya know dry.gif Mr M.P. was going to shoot -Wayne- I bet it would be center mass. or a head shot :goof:

Oh I like the lithium grease on the spring and buffer

Edited by AlamoShooter

I dunno, I like a little spring noise, when it stops you know you ran dry ;)

Coat the spring and buffer with lithium grease or heavy slide glide. Just enuff to coat things, not enuff to make it hydraulic back there.

+1 to the JP springs being quieter.

Who doesn't like having a gun that sounds like a tambourine going off? :D

If you lube the spring, you can get it to go "sproink, sproink, sproink" instead of "sproink-cha, sproink-cha, sproink-cha!" :roflol:

I think the best thing I ever did to quiet it down was get a SJC Titan, I don't notice the sproink while getting slapped in the head with shockwaves.

Edited by cas

• 5 weeks later...