Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I drank the blue kool aid

I started shooting about 6 or 7 months ago. I have been through 5 guns, 3 glocks a sig P-220 and a springfield XD-40. I now realize, it is not the gun it is the shooter! :surprise: About 2 or 3 months ago I started reloading on a single stage Herters press that I bought at a garage sale. This thing is SO old I had to find an adaptor because it used screw on shell holders. Anyway, I have loaded between 3,000 and 4,000 rounds on this press. It is painfully slow but that is OK because it matches my shooting abilities ;-) I wanted to get a different press when I started but the budget would not permit this so I started saving my pennies and last night I had enough to order a nice bright blue Dillon 650 :D I had to skimp on some of the accessories but I have a pretty good start. I got the 650, strong mount, aluminum roller handle and a pack of additional primer tubes. I am hoping all the Obama tax cuts hahaha will enable me to get the case feeder and additional caliber conversions that i need when i do my taxes. There is really no point to this post other than I am excited and wanted to tell the world about my nice new Dillon. Thanks for all the help BE friends!

Congrats on your new purchase, you are going to love it. I started off on a Lee Turret Press, which was good to get my feet wet. But I soon found that it just took too much time to reload when I had a buddy come visit from out of state and we wanted to reload 1000 rounds for his visit. After that, I bought a Dillon 550 and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. Still going strong after 12 years of hard use.

I just finished loading 50 rounds on my new 650 and it is a awesome feeling shooting your own ammo. I also am waiting on getting the casefeeder in a few months, but being new to reloading doesn't even bother me....yet..lol

That's really great to hear!

My approach was very similar...however, my first "blue" purchase was a used SDB. It worked so well, that my recent second purchase was another used SDB.

One of these days, I may upgrade to one of their bigger brothers...however for now, they are both working just fine.

Enjoy your new toy...I know you will love it!

I like to say: "Once you go Blue, your bullets will fly true". :P

Okay, I never really say that, but you simply can't go wrong with Dillon. My oldest Dillon is coming up on it's 20th birthday this year :cheers:

Edited by G-ManBart

I cant wait to get it. I just came back from emptying some more .40 S&W cases so I could reload them :D It was a challenge loading on that old Herters press. It would take a week to load 500 rounds. I would throw 250 or 300 cases in the tumbler, then take the ones I just took out of the tumbler and de-cap and re-size them. I would prime them with my Lee auto prime while watching TV. Then I would change the die out so I could flare them all, change the die again, charge them with powder seat the bullets and if I had some extra time I would put my Lee FCD die in and crimp them. A lot of times this step got skipped.... I really did not seem to have any problems with set back or anything. Then start the whole process again... It was kind of like doing laundry...it never ended! I have no idea what I will do with all my spare time :D

I cant wait to get it. I just came back from emptying some more .40 S&W cases so I could reload them :D It was a challenge loading on that old Herters press. It would take a week to load 500 rounds. I would throw 250 or 300 cases in the tumbler, then take the ones I just took out of the tumbler and de-cap and re-size them. I would prime them with my Lee auto prime while watching TV. Then I would change the die out so I could flare them all, change the die again, charge them with powder seat the bullets and if I had some extra time I would put my Lee FCD die in and crimp them. A lot of times this step got skipped.... I really did not seem to have any problems with set back or anything. Then start the whole process again... It was kind of like doing laundry...it never ended! I have no idea what I will do with all my spare time :D

Wow! Talk about dedication!! Even easier to understand your excitement.

Congratulations!!

Sherry

This is funny, I felt the same way when I bought my 550. I've loaded thousands of .45 Colt, .357 and .38 Special rounds with that thing. I need to get my .40 S&W tool head set up and start on that stuff one of theses days, but no sense in that untill I have a lot of brass saved up.

I would get a primer tube filler before I bothered with a case feeder!

After all these years of reloading, I still don't have a primer flip tray :roflol::roflol: I've told myself for the last 10 midway/dillon purchases that I'd order one and just never have. I always use the plastic lid for my Lee carbide dies. Primers and primer tubes are a PAIN. Especially on Federal primers where they're in the container sideways :angry2:

Congrats on the purchase, just so you know, you won't save any money by reloading, you just get to shoot WAY MORE AMMO for the same dollar, enjoy and be safe

This is soooo true. I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to start "pulling the handle"

Congrats on the purchase, just so you know, you won't save any money by reloading, you just get to shoot WAY MORE AMMO for the same dollar, enjoy and be safe

This is soooo true. I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to start "pulling the handle"

HAHA! That's funny right there.

amen to that... many special memories made each day at the reloading bench... my 8 year-old daughter has recently upgraded from case feeder to bullet feeder. one day, she aspires to be the handle puller.

So, I ordered my new Dillon late in the day on Friday the 14th. I knew it would not ship until at least Monday but I was still hopeful that it would be here by the weekend. On Friday I went home for lunch and there on the porch was....nothing. :( I came back to work a little disappointed but I hoped that maybe it would be there when I got off work. I was trying very hard to not get my hopes up. I left work at 5:00:01 and rushed home only to again find nothing waiting for me. :angry: I told myself that it was for the best because I needed to work Saturday and I knew that it would be very hard to go in if my press had arrived. I went to work Saturday and focused on getting caught up, I was busily working and did not notice the green light on my phone silently saying "you've got mail" I opened the message and there it was.... a picture of a big white box on my front porch with blue ink proudly declaring for the world to see that I had joined the ranks of people everywhere that are proud Dillon press owners. :D:D They had shipped it FedEx instead of UPS and the FedEx guy comes on Saturday....SURPRISE! I love surprises!

Congratz Paul-TNG, aint it great?!? I couldnt wate for delivery so I had it deliverd to my job, my co workers was lookin at me like im nutz cause I was doing my own reloads... Well i aint nutz, im MAD I TELL YA, IM MADDD(cranking down on my dillon handle in my "Lab")! lol... well have fun and be safe, keep us posted...

• 3 weeks later...

I have press envy. I'm looking for a RL550B and the dies and stuff to load 9mm/.40/357sig/.38sp/.357/.223/.308

I might buy new if nothing comes along. Then I will be single and paying child support and have lots of time on my hands but and no money so a handpress would suit me just fine. :roflol: