Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don’t I like shooting a .45 1911?

B.H.M.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What am I doing wrong? I bought a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in .45 and it is not fun to shoot! Shooting factory ammo, it is almost painful to shoot, my wrist gets sore. My Glock 34 and Witness Limited in .40 are so much softer shooting… I reload for both the .40 and 9mm. Would loading my own ammo help for the .45? Something I should correct with my grip? Beavertail Grip Safety?

Or should I just HTFU?

After shooting production for over 2 years and then switching to a .45 1911 3 weeks ago, I thought I was never going to get over the recoil change. However, 3K rounds later it's not so bad anymore. The mil-spec version tend to have sharper corners. The grip tends to be slightly lower compared to a customized single stack.

Definitely load your ammo to about a 168-ish power factor. You will get the most gain there. Also, try someone else's custom 1911 to feel the difference.

I was actually thinking back to the early days of this forum guess it was around 2001 and how BE talked me through setting up shock buffs in my first 1911.

I was shooting only factory ammo at the time and other than grip, stance, etc setting up my gun differently was a big help. A fitted beavertail grip safety will help and also fitted and blended thumb safety. I ran the lightest recoil spring (10-12lbs can’t remember) that I could and still get the gun to feed reliably. I took the same approach on the shock buffs; shorten the stroke almost an inch.

When you bring the gun up into your shooting grip, where is your thumb? I have a Springfield Loaded. My thumb sits naturally on top of the safety. If I tried to place it under the safety I would easily put it on during recoil due to my grip being so high on the gun.

To me it is a very pleasant gun to shoot. Very manageable recoil, quick to bring back on target. Admittedly I have never shot Factory ammo out of it. I have always shot hand-loads of about 165 to 175 PF.

I would try shooting someone else's .45 or have them try shooting yours. If someone used to shooting a .45 says it is very stout it might be your ammo or your gun. If they try a couple of their own loads in it and they shoot very well then you know it is more of an ammunition problem. If they are also stout then it is more of a gun issue.

So obviously Im doing something wrong! I will get the reloading dies for the .45 and start there along with trying to get some video of my grip and stance. Thanks.

When I started the thread I thought for sure one of the first responses would be “does your husband shoot?”...

BHM,

It might not be anything your are doing and then again it could be. It could be the gun biting you, maybe not enough for you to say "the gun bites" but enough to make it not pleasant. Could be springs, maybe internals need slicking up, then again it could be grip, stance, familiarity, etc. Come to the Spartanburg range on the 4th Sat and shoot some of the 45s that are running around. If a slicked up 45 with handloads and grip/stance advice is still unpleasant then you will know without spending a lot of money.

James

Definitely load your ammo to about a 168-ish power factor.

Wonderful way to go Minor...and it won't feel any softer than 170-175 because there is so much overlap in ES. With a 230gr bullet, we're talking all of 20fps to go from 168PF to 175PF....going for the low number is pointless.

Suggesting that idea to someone recoil sensitive, or possibly recoil sensitive, is even worse. If they decide to shoot a major match, they're going to bump the load up and that's the last thing they need. R,

BHM,

It might not be anything your are doing and then again it could be. It could be the gun biting you, maybe not enough for you to say "the gun bites" but enough to make it not pleasant. Could be springs, maybe internals need slicking up, then again it could be grip, stance, familiarity, etc. Come to the Spartanburg range on the 4th Sat and shoot some of the 45s that are running around. If a slicked up 45 with handloads and grip/stance advice is still unpleasant then you will know without spending a lot of money.

James

Good call. The only match I shot my 1911 at was at their match last month.

Wonderful way to go Minor...and it won't feel any softer than 170-175 because there is so much overlap in ES. With a 230gr bullet, we're talking all of 20fps to go from 168PF to 175PF....going for the low number is pointless.

Suggesting that idea to someone recoil sensitive, or possibly recoil sensitive, is even worse. If they decide to shoot a major match, they're going to bump the load up and that's the last thing they need. R,

Im too nervous about the chrono to go much below 175!

Go to a match, find a guy shooting a .45 1911 in SS division/CDP , ask to shoot his gun and see if that helps you out any.

Big +1 ... that will take the guesswork out of the situation right there. Also, ask to shoot a few rounds of his ammo through your gun. That should answer alot of the questions/talk about COMPONENTS being the problem.

I, too, am a little scared of the chrono so load above 165, however, if there is not a noticable recoil difference in the 20fps increase from 168 to 175, there shouldn't be a noticable difference "bumping the load up" from a sub PF...say bumping it from 160 to 167. It's 20fps either way. I still say load a little high just to be safe.

If you load your own the .45 can be loaded with some very light loads. Put in a lighter recoil spring and some light loads and it will shoot like a "BB" gun. Very light recoil loads are easy if you load your own and you save money on powder ChaChing

Most people say the 230gr has a softer push to it but I've had good results handloading with a lighter (200gr) bullet.

The muzzle flip may be a little faster but not as powerful as the 230gr.

Also, the 200gr can be loaded down for practice, making it very pleasant to shoot.

I'm kinda large (6'4" - 260lbs) but even I notice a real difference when going back to .45 after shooting a 9 for a while.

After a while, the .45 will feel normal. Nonetheless, little modifications, like the aforementioned beavertail, may still be worthwhile looking into.

Why punish yourself with a gun that could fit you better?

Good luck with your 1911!

Don't forget the addition of a shock buffer. One of the differences between European guns and American guns is in the grip angle. The European grip angle positions the wrist such that the shockwave from the slide hitting the slide stop in the frame is directed axially down the center of the radius and ulna. That puts the propagation front of the wave into a more correctly aligned compression axis, which is where all the bones are strongest up to compression limit. The shock buffer will soften the peak of the compression wave so it doesn't feel so sharp. There several young women I've taught to shoot that selected 1911's for themselves and this same complaint was effectively addressed by several of the tips above (spring tuning) shock buffers and an arched mainspring housing to tune the grip angle. Also, increasing the power of the mainspring allows you to transfer some slide velocity into spring compression. (There's SOMETHING about a pretty woman POUNDING steel targets with a 1911 that's just .....so.....well....I uh.....!)

Look, here's what the Marines say...Pain is weakness leaving your body! Shoot it like you STOLE it!! That'll work. Probly the best advice here!! Git er DONE!!

I have no doubt that a Beavertail would be beneficial to you, but something leads me to suspect you may not be gripping the pistol correctly as well.

Competent instruction by a qualified trainer can be worth it's cost as it can save on ammo trying to reinvent the wheel. That in turns saves on money and makes the shooting expirience more enjoyable.

Biker

Definitely look into some help for your grip. A 45 should not be painful, even with factory loads, and ESPECIALLY a full size one for any adult.

Also look for signs of Hammer Bite on your hand between the thumb and forefinger. I have a bad case of it (many do) on a 1911 without the big beavertail (like you mil-spec). However, I don't notice it while firing, only afterwards.

I am by no means a "macho" shooter, but I think this indicates that you may have something fundamentally incorrect and its best to correct it now. No shame in posting, if it hurts, it means something is wrong, Can't fix if you don't ask!--Either your grip or possibly biologically in your hands/wrists.

Best of luck.

What am I doing wrong? I bought a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in .45 and it is not fun to shoot! Shooting factory ammo, it is almost painful to shoot, my wrist gets sore. My Glock 34 and Witness Limited in .40 are so much softer shooting… I reload for both the .40 and 9mm. Would loading my own ammo help for the .45? Something I should correct with my grip? Beavertail Grip Safety?

Definitely go with a grip safety. And since you are loading for 9 and 40, start loading for the 45 with either Hodgon's Clays, or Vihtavuori 320 powder - they're both real soft shooting.

And this too:

Or should I just HTFU?

:)

Don't forget the addition of a shock buffer. One of the differences between European guns and American guns is in the grip angle. The European grip angle positions the wrist such that the shockwave from the slide hitting the slide stop in the frame is directed axially down the center of the radius and ulna. That puts the propagation front of the wave into a more correctly aligned compression axis, which is where all the bones are strongest up to compression limit. The shock buffer will soften the peak of the compression wave so it doesn't feel so sharp. There several young women I've taught to shoot that selected 1911's for themselves and this same complaint was effectively addressed by several of the tips above (spring tuning) shock buffers and an arched mainspring housing to tune the grip angle. Also, increasing the power of the mainspring allows you to transfer some slide velocity into spring compression. (There's SOMETHING about a pretty woman POUNDING steel targets with a 1911 that's just .....so.....well....I uh.....!)

Look, here's what the Marines say...Pain is weakness leaving your body! Shoot it like you STOLE it!! That'll work. Probly the best advice here!! Git er DONE!!

sorry i only understood the last line, everything else was like :blink:

I like this shock buffer talk....I always heard they were a waste of money and could cause recoil spring fitting issues. I am new here and haven't heard the talk about them to see what the TRUTH is. I'll have to do some searches :yawn:

200 grain RNFP over 4 grains of red dot is pretty smooth too. You may have to knock your spring down to 14.5, I had too. Welcome to Mr. Browning's world, you will love it after awhile.

Tell you what, 200gr RNFP over 3.6gr of Clays is SWEET. I promise it WON'T make Major. It's my fluffy-bunny load for my revolver.

I'm new to shooting, the first time I shot it, I think I said HS. The 1911 has become my favorite

gun to shoot. My accuracy has gotten much better . I'm reloading 230 231 4.7. I had back surgery about 9 mos ago and I'm not the biggest dude. Keep at it.

B.H.M., I feel your frustration...I have been there. My first gun was a 3" Kimber Ultra in 45 ACP. I still remember going to the range for the first time and leaving with the feeling that I just got man handled by my gun. After bout 150 rounds, my wrist would hurt. I am a smaller shooter, heck I am probably the smallest shooter at most matchs. After shooting USPSA/IPSC for almost a year, I shot the Kimber again....no problems. I believe through proper grip, stance and recoil management anyone can eliminate the "my wrist hurts".