Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P90X?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's done it?

I have and several clients I have trained have.

How did it work out for you?

Infinitely better than conventional "back and bi, chest and tri", but far lacking behind a pragmatic strength and conditioning program.

Worth the cost of the program itself and the equipment?

No. If you want to get in shape, I suggest doing it right from the start. Do your due diligence in research, work your ass off, sleep well, eat natural.

i got it for free, so i cant comment on the cost side of things. for me being out of shape, it kills me when i do the workouts.im not on any sort of planned regimen yet, just picking a choosing workouts when i can find the time for them. better than nothing for me right now. Id def like to get a better plan in place down the road.

I did it and really liked it. For me, at age 45 I thought it was well worth the cost in that I did everything at home. No need to drive to a gym or have a house full of equipment. (I do highly reccommend adjustable dumbells if you proceed) I lost weight and was in better "shape".

Then I met Jake. This is where I learned the meaning of "shape". Nothing, and I mean nothing had the impact that his nutritional advice made. I only wish I was closer to him to hire as a strength coach. The man knows his stuff.

Feel free to PM if you have further questions.

Steve

Thanks for the words Steve. I try to be a better coach each and every day.

Merlin,

In my opinion, the most important thing for an "older" guy/girl (or young guy/girl for that matter) is to have a good strength base through squats, deadlifts, pressing, and pull ups. I would send you without hesitation to Mark Rippetoe. His books and forums would be a great tool to take advantage of. After you develop that solid base, you can take it wherever you want from there. Being strong is what generally keeps people out of nursing homes.

Regardless of what you decide to do, don't just dive in to anything. Read as much as you can and take it at a pace you can manage to start. Taking the time to really learn HOW to strength train is far better than just loading weight on the bar and bludgeoning yourself to death with exercise.

Last year I got P90X as a gift. I was commited and only wanted to lose 20 pounds and lost it in a month. It sucked that I hit my goal so fast and that my goal was so low to start with. I then only did a work out here or there. The problem I had with it was that the work outs are all an hour long.

I will be incorporating it back into my workouts and feel that it is worth the money. Any activity is better than no activity. For adjustable dumbells I suggest Power Blocks! I have the Sport 5.0s and still used them when I fell off the wagon.

Brian

• 4 months later...

I've used P90X 2.5 times and I like it. I'm 42, have a bad knee, a tricky lower back and have been lifting weights since 1987. For the record I'm 5'9" 195. Not quite a fat A**, but I'm not skelator either. I trained heavy for years, but never train heavy these days. However, on any given day I can still bench 250. I realize that isn't impressive at all, but just trying to describe my overall build.

I like P90X as a workout. It's feels like a combination of traditional weight training + hard core boot camp to me. It keeps my heart in the 130+ zone in all of the workouts except Yoga.

I've been working "out of town" for the last 6 months, but this assignment ends this Friday. I'll start P90X again in the next few weeks. Oh, I think I forgot to mention that my wife likes P90X, so that may have a little to do with why I like it too :roflol:

Edited by SV-COP

• 2 weeks later...

I loved P90X last time I did it, ie when it first came out a few years ago. Was in fantastic shape and it kicked my ass. Was in pretty good shape to begin with. It actually got me to start taking yoga classes.

The toughest part for me though, and is now since I am pondering doing it again, is the overall high impact on knees. Even though I am only 28, past 5 years knees have been bothering me, I guess the hockey and years of martial arts is catching up. lol.

Will be going to Docs tomorrow to get knee xrays to figure it all out. But in any case... P90X is great for what it is. Just have to be committed to it.

I got through day 60 or so... I just like going to the gym that much more...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost through Block 2 on P90X. I've gotten good results but I've done better with actual weightlifting programs.

I used to be in pretty good shape but for the past couple years I've been mostly sedentary and until recently smoked moderately-to-heavily, and I see P90X as a way to get back into real fitness training.

• 1 month later...

I did P90X for the first 3 week cycle and then had a funeral that killed it. For that 3 weeks, I felt stronger and was losing the weight. The key, I think is the diet regiment supplied with the workout. The workout itself is pretty intense, but the carb-eliminating first 4 weeks is what helps cut the fat, then, IIRC, they start re-introduing carbs gradually until your body balances eveything out.

I always felt like a lot of these programs are only a little bit more than a way to keep people interested and committed to some* sort of workout regiment. If you ask me, sport-specific excercises are the best. For instance, if you want boxing stamina you need to run, do all the boxing training, and most of all spar a lot. If you want to get strong/big/both, weightlifting.

There must be some sort of specific workouts that is good for shooting. I'd think it would have to do with stamina and muscle endurance, and "footwork" excercises. For that running, mobility drills and things like P90X might be pretty decent.

As far as losing weight goes, I've honestly found nothing better than running and dieting. For many the magic number is 3 miles, once you can do that every day you'll never be overweight.

I always felt like a lot of these programs are only a little bit more than a way to keep people interested and committed to some* sort of workout regiment. If you ask me, sport-specific excercises are the best. For instance, if you want boxing stamina you need to run, do all the boxing training, and most of all spar a lot. If you want to get strong/big/both, weightlifting.

There must be some sort of specific workouts that is good for shooting. I'd think it would have to do with stamina and muscle endurance, and "footwork" excercises. For that running, mobility drills and things like P90X might be pretty decent.

As far as losing weight goes, I've honestly found nothing better than running and dieting. For many the magic number is 3 miles, once you can do that every day you'll never be overweight.

Mike Seeklander knows a thing or two about practical shooting. He uses and recommends P90X for practical shooting fitness.

Edited by SV-COP

I've used P90X 2.5 times and I like it. I'm 42, have a bad knee, a tricky lower back and have been lifting weights since 1987. For the record I'm 5'9" 195. Not quite a fat A**, but I'm not skelator either. I trained heavy for years, but never train heavy these days. However, on any given day I can still bench 250. I realize that isn't impressive at all, but just trying to describe my overall build.

I like P90X as a workout. It's feels like a combination of traditional weight training + hard core boot camp to me. It keeps my heart in the 130+ zone in all of the workouts except Yoga.

I've been working "out of town" for the last 6 months, but this assignment ends this Friday. I'll start P90X again in the next few weeks. Oh, I think I forgot to mention that my wife likes P90X, so that may have a little to do with why I like it too :roflol:

I'd venture to say that 250 is "impressive." Partially because my 1RM is 185.

I think that crossfit is a good regimen but unless you have all of the equipment that is needed for the posted workouts it is a little hard to do. Around here there are a lot of crossfit personal training gyms where you can get 1 on 1 or group formats. The times are not always convenient for everyone but the workouts are effective. The good thing about p90x is that you can do it when you get time, be it earlier or later. If you miss a workout or 2 in a week just be honest and add another week to the calender. You get a band included and can get a pullup bar for a doorframe for $20. It doesn't get much easier than that for required equipment. When the band isn't effective, choke up on it some more, get a heavier band, or get adjustable dumbells.

Another good tv program that gets my heart going is kettleworx. routines are half as long as p90x. The form isn't always correct in the videos but that is easily searched. I have found myself cursing at Ryan (the trainer) which is a good thing because I know that I am pushing myself more than I want to.

Any activity is better than no activity. I will start back with p90 soon, then maybe try Supreme 90 or insanity. There is also another P90x coming out soon but it looks like it requires some more equipment than the first one. I think i saw some examples on youtube.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Who's done it? How did it work out for you? Worth the cost of the program itself and the equipment?

My and I did it together in 2009. We followed the workout and diet to the letter. They have to be done in conjunction to get the maximum effectiveness. I went from 236 r6 years of working out and being in decent shape. P90X got me to be lean, which is something I've never been, so it definitely worked. However, I did not get strong, I got lean and ripped. It was a great way to get into peak condition and build endurance.

The biggest issue is the 1 hour to 1.5 hour a night needed to do it. You need to be committed. I'm thinking about starting it again, since I'm back out of shape and need to build endurance, but I think I'll modify so I can keep some size and strength.

So, long winded answer, it is worth it but it really helps to have a workout partner to keep you on track.

I did the first chest work out....once.... like in 2009.

Backing up a little bit, this is from a guy who used to do a PFT and 1.5 run every semester. And then had to do a 12 or 13 mile run/walk with ruck, Kevlar helmet, full BDU's, boots, and rubber duck M16 in less than 3 hours to complete the Air Assault course.... my ...my what 15 or 20 years does to our bodies.... :blink: anywhooo....that whole time in the military, never once puked.

did the P90X exercise, once, and puked.

was sore for like a good week after that, and I haven't been back to it since.

Your best bet for a cheaper copy of it is Craig's List. just do a search.

I think you already have to be in pretty good shape to start out with. If you ever watch the late night testimonial infomercials for it, I bet none of the male spokesman ever had a waist measurement greater than a 34 or 36.

let me put it this way...I think....that is I think....if you go to put on your belt, and as you feed it through the first belt loop, the buckle is bouncing off the floor...P90X is probably not for you...yet....

Who's done it? How did it work out for you? Worth the cost of the program itself and the equipment?

My and I did it together in 2009. We followed the workout and diet to the letter. They have to be done in conjunction to get the maximum effectiveness. I went from 236 r6 years of working out and being in decent shape. P90X got me to be lean, which is something I've never been, so it definitely worked. However, I did not get strong, I got lean and ripped. It was a great way to get into peak condition and build endurance.

The biggest issue is the 1 hour to 1.5 hour a night needed to do it. You need to be committed. I'm thinking about starting it again, since I'm back out of shape and need to build endurance, but I think I'll modify so I can keep some size and strength.

So, long winded answer, it is worth it but it really helps to have a workout partner to keep you on track.

We follow the program pretty closely with just a couple of modifications. On the chest days, I only do push ups every third set and incline dumb bell presses on the other ones. We also go to a gym for the leg workouts. I prefer weight routines to their cheesy leg exercises.