Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which to get? Couple of options

hdyota

I am looking to get a new SS for Limited 10. I have been shooting limited with a CZ TS and want to try something different. I don't want to buy a Spartan and build it up. I am looking getting something that I can just change minor details and get what I want. My local ffl has a few guns that would fit the bill. I definately want fs checkering so that may limit some of the lower priced guns.

Here are the local options:

Kimber Tactical entry: $1149

SA Trophy match: $1220

USED-(AS NEW) SA TRP Operator: $1299

Trojan in .45 $1049

Trojan would need a magwell, grips and FO front sight. The other 3 would basically just need a FO front sight. I am leening towards the TRP. The only thing that is holding me back is not being able to shoot in single stack. I am not planning on it now, but not sure if I want to limit my options down the road.

So what is everyones thoughts and experiences on the 4 guns that I have listed?????

I voted the Trojan. Is the cheapest but you are not giving up anything. I would get a Dawson magwell for any of them anyway. Also if you are getting a SS and shoot USPSA why get something that would limit you from shooting the SS division, eventually you will want to shoot in that also.

If you had made Spartan an option instead of just Trojan, you would have seen the same preponderance of opinion in favor of it that you now see in favor of the Trojan. The Spartan really is an amazing value for the money. And I say that as someone who just finished testing a Spartan 9mm yesterday for an article. (And just emerged from my healing coma after the 12-hour range session. :lol:)

If you want a .45, get the Trojan!

I just bought the Sentry, and really like it, but I wanted a .40 and couldn't find a Trojan in stock anywhere in .40, and I have ZERO patience, anyway, I would have not hesitated on a Trojan if available. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but like it much better than my SA .45.

I really like the undercut on the trigger guard, and the front strap is nothing you can not fix, if you decide you do not like it, with a little skate tape.

If you want an 1911 for L-10 and you will have nothing but skinny mags then I say go with the trp operator..

That's what I shoot in L10..

And I shot it as is, from factory for a year (I made it to A class with it, and won many matches in B class)

The gun will shoot super tight groups..

The feating is amazing, the gun is tigh like my ladies grip on my wallet!!

The sights are preaty good too...

No fiber front but that more of a luxury than a most have IMHO :) 

Now I personally think L10 is not worth getting a new gun over..

There's just not enough support or people shooting it...

After a year of shooting L10 that lead to disappointment and hart break..

I can only tell you to just shoot either limited or single stack...

Forget l10, unless you don't mind competing against no more than 10 people (on a good day) and having a tiny price table with mostly junk at bigger matches..

With that said the trophy match will be my next 1911 gun.. With which i'll shoot in, you guessed it, single stack :)

If you had made Spartan an option instead of just Trojan, you would have seen the same preponderance of opinion in favor of it that you now see in favor of the Trojan.

I'm betting that's correct. I voted Trojan (just bought a second one recently), but if they offered a Spartan in .40, that's probably what I would have bought for a backup gun. R,

Stay away from the operator, they are notoriously heavy if you want to ever shoot it in SS. The FLGR and grips are heavy on those guns and will put you overweight.

I would agree with the others, buy a spartie, add the magwell, grip tape and then spend the rest in a class or ammo.

I don't know how much your local ffl fees are or what your relationship is with the LGS, but the Trophy Match can be had for $1099 and about $18 shipping from CDNN. I think it comes with 7 round mags though. Could be wrong.

Stay away from the operator, they are notoriously heavy if you want to ever shoot it in SS. The FLGR and grips are heavy on those guns and will put you overweight.

I would agree with the others, buy a spartie, add the magwell, grip tape and then spend the rest in a class or ammo.

Heavy is good, it's not like the op is asking about a ccw gun :)

But your right the gun is not single stack legal..

It is the bushing less bull barrel and the full length dust cover that make it not legal for ss dough.. But it's the closest thing you can get to a limited gun in a single stack frame, at a great price.

If what the op wants is a "dedicated" L10 gun that is "not" a wide body 1911..

Then the trp operator would be next best option.

Me personally, I would just get a wide body Sti like the edge and extra mags for L10 and call it a day :)

I would still probibally have a gun built up and have it how you want it. I would also make sure the gun is SS legal so you can crossover if you get the bug and around here at least SS has much more people than l10 by far. On front strap checkering, how aggressive do you like it. The trojan has a stippled grip which is not aggressive at all. The TRP has 20 LPI which is very aggressive. If you get like a spartan, you can pick what front strap checkering works best for you, get a dawson FO front, good techwell magwell and a good finish and have a good gun, the way you want it for less than the others cost

voted for the Trojan cause the Spartan wasn't available. I think its worthwhile to have a skinny gun set up where you can also play in SS with if you get the bug later. I happen to live in a 10rnd state so I wouldn't want to get a gun set up just for L10 that I couldn't use in at least 1 other division. Currently looking for a cheap skinny .40 that I can use for SS and as a backup for my 2011 (thats the excuse I'll give the wife).

I have a Trojan in 9mm. It's one of my favorite pistols. Took a little tuning to get it the way that I like it but it's one of the best values for the money in my mind.

I like the under cut trigger guard and the balance. It just points well and will shoot tighter groups than most of my other guns.

I use the gun for IDPA ESP.

• 3 weeks later...