Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Arizona Law and Non-Citizen Looking Shooters

I'm planning to go to Mesa/Phoenix at least three times this year.

With the new law, if I get stopped and the Officer thinks I'm an illegal what's acceptable documentation?

Will my CA driver's license be enough? Or do I need to bring my passport? Does it have to be current?

Thanks.

A driver's license doesn't show anyone that you're an American citizen.

A passport or birth certificate probably will.

Or you could become the test case :)

I'm planning to go to Mesa/Phoenix at least three times this year.

With the new law, if I get stopped and the Officer thinks I'm an illegal what's acceptable documentation?

Will my CA driver's license be enough? Or do I need to bring my passport? Does it have to be current?

Thanks.

A driver's license doesn't show anyone that you're an American citizen.

A passport or birth certificate probably will.

Or you could become the test case :)

A drivers license is enough but bring your passport if it makes you feel better. They're not going to stop you just because you're brown. ;)

I'm a super tall and super white Mexican, so i just limit my conversation to "yup", and "Nope", and maybe a "mmmmhm"...

and they never question me!

I'm so white that even if i reveal my accent they'll probably think I'm from eastern Europe :D

anyway an Arizona federal judge put an injunction on all the controversial parts of the Az immigration law, more than a few months ago.. so there's nothing to worry about...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arizona-immigration-law-judge-puts-hold-key-sb/story?id=11268532

By the way, if you happen to get stopped by a fat border patrol guy of obvious Mexican decent in a slovenly maintained uniform who then asks in heavily accented English for your ID, he and his equally unprofessional partner do not find it amusing when you say "...sure, and may I see yours?"

:D

Alex

How exactly does a non-citizen look? I find it amusing that people will produce an ID to buy a pack of cigs or a drink in a bar or at a store like Best Buy if they are writing a check with no question. But ask them to produce an ID to a police officer or to vote and people get all twitchy.

How exactly does a non-citizen look? I find it amusing that people will produce an ID to buy a pack of cigs or a drink in a bar or at a store like Best Buy if they are writing a check with no question. But ask them to produce an ID to a police officer or to vote and people get all twitchy.

You're damn right, buddy! I won't show my ID to those jack booted thugs. It's none of their damn business. They are working for Big Brother, maaaannnnn.

Now.. please excuse my so that I can go get on Facebook and tell the entire world that I just took a poop because of the bad sushi I ate last night. Maybe I'll post a video on YouTube, too? :rolleyes:

I would think non-citizens looking people are brown (check), don't speak english so good (check), sound funny (check) and wear funny clothes (check). That'd be me.

It wouldn't be different if all they would ask for was a DL/ID... and they didn't have all those cameras around to catch you speeding.

You don't understand why my behavior towards government officials differs from that of my fellow citizens who work for a private firm?

Are you free to leave from your interactions with the cigarette seller, bar tender, or cashier at Best Buy?

How about the police officer? Can you walk away from him without any ramifications?

Edited by twodownzero