Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock in Limited...

carlspeed

I want to start shooting Limited with my Glock 22. Mainly because I have one, and I think that for my skill level, getting a more expensive gun isn't really going to help me. I've already got a tactical mag + slide release, and I'm going to get the trigger worked. I have full night sights on the gun now (it's my current bedstand gun) and I realize it's going to be better if I swap at LEAST the front site to something better.

What I'm asking I guess, since I'm buying all the gear to make this gun a full limited gun, holster, mag pouches, etc, am I doing myself a disservice by not just going with a G35? Maybe trying to find a decent 35 upper to put on my 22 lower? I'd like to build a good enough limited gun with out breaking the bank from the already $500 it's going to cost for a speed holster, 4 mag pouches, and the base plates for the mags.

Thanks in advance. I just want to make sure that I have a good set up until I decide to upgrade to a $2000 gun one day.

I say shoot what you have and get the hang of Limited and when and if you think the gun is holding you back then upgrade. I personally dont think you will see much of a improvement going to the G35, if you were buying a new gun and didnt have the G22 I would say get the G35 but since you have your gun use that. The main thing is that you are comfortable with the gun and if you are shoot the snot out of it. You can add parts later when or if you feel the need to. Just my 2 pennies. :cheers:

Edited by G34 CORDY

I say shoot what you have and get the hang out Limited and when and if you think the gun is holding you back then upgrade. I personally dont think you will see much of a improvement going to the G35, if you were buying a new gun and didnt have the G22 I would say get the G35 but since you have your gun use that. The main thing is that you are comfortable with the gun and if you are shoot the snot out of it. You can add parts later when or if you feel the need to. Just my 2 pennies. :cheers:

Ok, so you don't think it's worth it to try and find a cheap Glock 35 upper to put on my 22?

It all depends what your funds are but if you want to play in Limited fairly cheap then shoot what you have. The extra 3/4 of a inch isnt going to be that big of a difference in performance. I bought a EAA Witness Limited to play in Limited because I didnt have enough money to buy a STI and it only has a 4 3/4 barrel and is damn accurate. I think with your skills not being at the top I really dont think you will see much of a difference buying a G35. You will be the performance factor.

Edited by G34 CORDY

If you change your sights and trigger you mite not want this to be your bedside gun. The g35 has a better sight radius and you can lighten the trigger with a lighter fireing pin spring. I think that getting a g35 or upper would be well worth it.

I shot a g35 in limited for my first year. I still have my best classifer with that gun. They are very competive if done right.

Adam

a-66052

Save your money on the extended Slide Lock Lever. You will get into a good high grip, and sure as heck, you'll wonder why your gun keeps locking back when you shoot a stage. If I could find the dang thing, I'd send you mine. One of the first things I did to my 34 was to take it off.

Edited by Wild Gene

I think you could sell the G22 for $400-450 and pick up a used competion ready G35 for under $800 on this forum. I'd do that rather than spend the money on the G22. You won't have as much luck getting your money back out of a G22 limited gun when/if you do upgrade to the $2000 2011 limited gun. When I bought my 5" guns I considered the cheaper 4" but I knew I would always be wanting the G35 like most everybody else has and I would always be questioning the notion of will it help me. I went G35.

As far as noticing a difference it really depends on how much you have shot that G22. The sight radius can't hurt but its not a hige difference. I will say that the 5" guns cycle slower because they weigh about 3 oz more on the top end. I recently bought a G24 6" to try compared to my G34/35's. I could see and feel the slide/sights moving more because they were slower. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but I figured it was best to stay with what I was used to rather than to retrain my eyes and patience. The 2-3 matches I shot with the longer sight radius didn't make me hit steel any better that I could tell.

So if you go G35 I think it would be for resale value and piece of mind that you have the most popular Glock for limited.

I have shot identical matches including classifiers with my 34 in production and my 22 in limited. My speed and accuracy were probably better with the 22. Benos says in his book that all of the equipment changes don't make the difference of one missed shot.....or Leatham says it in the book intro.....all that being said, if you are asking you probably WANT a 35. So I say unless it takes the kids milk money get one and enjoy.

Thanks for all of your replies. I think the best thing for me to do is leave the G22 as is, and just pick up the items that would be compatible with the G35 as well. I'll probably get a 4.5lb conenctor for the G22 trigger, because I've wanted one anyway, but leave it as is everywhere else. That way, if I get a G35, I can give the G22 as a bed gun for my wife (I have another one anyway, which is why I didn't mind modding it), and all the stuff I have for competing with the G22 will be compatible with the G35.

I like the way Glocks fit in my hand, and they work very well for me when I go to point of aim. I think the longer sight radius would help, but I just can't warrant the purchase of the slide or gun until I can determine if I'm even going to be able to shoot a couple times a month. I wanted to originally shoot my duty gun, but the matches have always been the night before I work, and waking up having to clean my gun 4 times in a row has grown old fast.

I say spend your money on gear and mags right now and save for a good deal on a 35 or 24. You can shoot the 22 as is in the meantime. Master the crappy Glock trigger and your trigger control will be much better once you get a comp gun with a comp trigger. :cheers:

Edited by Avezorak

Save your money on the extended Slide Lock Lever. You will get into a good high grip, and sure as heck, you'll wonder why your gun keeps locking back when you shoot a stage. If I could find the dang thing, I'd send you mine. One of the first things I did to my 34 was to take it off.

+1

Also, dont' even bother getting a race holster. Get a Bladetech or Ready Tactical(my favorite) Kydex DOH holster and you're set for limited and production.

As for the extra 7/8" of barrel on the 35, only you can tell if it matters to you, but I know a lot of guys who say they shoot a G17/22 just as well as their 34/35.

the 22 recoils harder than the 35.

the glock isnt going to hold you back...unless you believe that it is.

i have an STI limited gun but still shoot the glock in limited because it is faster for me.

I can still hang them on the paper at 50 yards and hose em with the best of them at the closer ranges.

i shot my glock 22 from unclassified to A class in six months. Then a model 24 from A to Master.

Get a timer, do some dryfire and then impress your shooting friends at the match.

+1 on skipping the race holster and buying a bladetech DOH. The DOH is less than half the cost of the race holsters. I would put a dawson extended base pad on at least 1 or even better 2 of the mags to take you to 20+1 and use that as your start mag. With the std 15+1 mags, the only way you will get through 2 whole 8 round arrays is going 1 for 1 and still ending up at slidelock. With a 32 round COF you can finish with 1 reload with the 20 rounders and still have extras if you need them and can plan the stage better. With the 15 rounders, your doing a minimum of 2 reloads with less options in your stage planning

I guess that makes sence. I'm not going to shoot the glock 22 in production, unless you really think that I could download the rounds enough to be competitive.

So what's the best fastest holster I can use, that will allow me to shoot production. I need something that I can angle just a bit like a race holster towards the front if it's possible.

I'm not going to shoot the glock 22 in production, unless you really think that I could download the rounds enough to be competitive.

I know you can make a .40 minor load soft enough to be competitive in Production.

It can seem like almost like a gnat-fart.

Everyone is telling you, get the BladeTech DOH. That is great advice. You can play with the cant on the Bladetech, but I do not believe it is any faster than a straight drop with that type of holster. Production has specific rules on type and postition of holsters and equipment, I suggest you look those over too. Everything has to be at the point of the hip or back, see diagram in rules, so a forward cant will probably feel a bit awkward.

i can get .65 draws at 10 yards on a IPSC target or Popper with my non dropped, non offset holster made by comp tac. just pick one and practice. those twenty dollar uncle mikes kydex holsters are pretty good for the money.

I think you could sell the G22 for $400-450 and pick up a used competion ready G35 for under $800 on this forum. I'd do that rather than spend the money on the G22. You won't have as much luck getting your money back out of a G22 limited gun when/if you do upgrade to the $2000 2011 limited gun. When I bought my 5" guns I considered the cheaper 4" but I knew I would always be wanting the G35 like most everybody else has and I would always be questioning the notion of will it help me. I went G35.

As far as noticing a difference it really depends on how much you have shot that G22. The sight radius can't hurt but its not a hige difference. I will say that the 5" guns cycle slower because they weigh about 3 oz more on the top end. I recently bought a G24 6" to try compared to my G34/35's. I could see and feel the slide/sights moving more because they were slower. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but I figured it was best to stay with what I was used to rather than to retrain my eyes and patience. The 2-3 matches I shot with the longer sight radius didn't make me hit steel any better that I could tell.

So if you go G35 I think it would be for resale value and piece of mind that you have the most popular Glock for limited.

I got a like new 35 with 4 hi cap off gunbroker for 450. 800 sounds a might high.

I got a like new 35 with 4 hi cap off gunbroker for 450. 800 sounds a might high.

That my friend is a deal you found! I was referring to a package you'd find in these classifieds with a G35, sights, magwell, ext mag release, guide rod, recoil springs, magwell, stippling and undercut trigger guard maybe.

I guess that makes sence. I'm not going to shoot the glock 22 in production, unless you really think that I could download the rounds enough to be competitive.

So what's the best fastest holster I can use, that will allow me to shoot production. I need something that I can angle just a bit like a race holster towards the front if it's possible.

You might be surprised that the cant may not help you. Recently, I spent some time with a timer on a range, playing with my rig. I ended up faster with the gun at (nearly) my pant seam, and more vertical rather than canted muzzle forward.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced that I'd be hardly slower, if slower at all, with a normal, production legal, kydex holster.

800 might seem high until you price the extra mags, extensions, sights, trigger work, etc. that you plan on doing. Then it's almost always cheaper to buy a used gun with the upgrades rather than do it yourself.

I love buying used guns. They're almost always a deal. Sometimes they're just a good deal, and other times, a great deal.

I'd get a Bladetech holster for a G24 and mag pouches and just shoot the G22 for now. Later on, you can upgrade to a G24 or G35 topend depending on whether you want a 6" or 5.35" top end. Personally, I'd want the extra sight radius. I've got a Ghost Holster for my open glock and a Bladetech for my production Glock 35. I don't feel the $55 Bladetech holds my speed back at all compared to the Ghost holster for limited.

Since you all have been so helpful so far (I ordered the Bladetech DOH Tek-Lok last night), what's the absolutely best trigger I put on it? I've heard mixed reviews about the Ghost, but it's carried locally. Is the factory 4.5lb / 3.5lb connector better?

On the topic of the holster, I really appreciate all of your input. I was going to get the Ready Tactical, but what steered me away from it is my random schedule. Right now I can shoot USPSA on Tuesday or Friday, which all my schedules can support. However, if I get a different shift, I may have to shoot IDPA, which even though I don't like as much, at least with the Blade Tech I can take the offset part off and run it as an IDPA gun.

Edited by carlspeed

I have both G22s and G35s and I prefert the G35, but I know people who prefer the G22. The only real difference is you can get by with a tad less powder on a G35 and make major, but it is hard to feel the difference if each gun is tuned for the load.

As for trigger, Ghost connectors are okay, but I prefer the Lone Wolf. They feel better to me. A 6 pound trigger spring, LW connector and a 25 cent trigger job will cost you $20 or so and get you a good trigger (3 pound range) plus teach you about your gun function. LW also sells ($25) the trigger housing with an overtravel stop, which I also recomend for anyone trying to improve the Glock trigger. Does nothing for weight, but a lot of feel and gets rid of the bounce. I install my own pre and over travel screws, but I'd not suggest that route for a first time. You can go an extra step with a Titanium plunger from LS (comes with spring, $25 from Loe Wolf) for a ounce or two, plus some smoothness. Then the final step would be a ZEV reduced weight striker and reduced strength spring ($90) which would also let you drop a few pounds in recoil spring weight. You can get to 2 pounds with these parts. The reduced weight striker and striker spring may reduce ignition reliability so there are some folks who choose to not take that step.

Or you can buy aftermarket trigger packages. There are several threads on here with good discussions on which people prefer and why. The search function will get you to those threads.

You did make the right call on the Holster!