Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good starter gun

Arisaka99

Hey guys, I want to get started shooting uspsa and I was wondering what you guys thought was a good starter gun. Guys on Cast Boolits said a used Glock 17 or a good cheap 1911. I am 15 so I have a limited "income" and I will have a real job in august hopefully. Right now I have a Beretta Neos .22LR and long guns, but I was thinking of trading my Mossberg 185k for the Glock. Any other suggestions? Something preferably under 500$!! Thanks Guys, Chris

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A used Glock in 9mm would be a good choice if you're on a budget. Besides the gun you'll have to purchase a good belt, holster, mags and mag holders. Since there are so many Glocks around, you should have no trouble finding used accessories and staying in your budget. Hope this helps. BTW, buy a gun with at least a 4" barrel, you'll find it easier to do well with.

Glock 22 or 35 can be used in USPSA: PRD, LTD, L10 and IDPA: SSP and ESP. The ammo is slightly more expensive, but as you can see, the gun can be used in many divisions. I think the saying is "more bang for the buck". :lol: However, if you really want a 9mm, go with the 17.

a g22 might offer you a little more options as far as divisions to shoot in, if you don'y mind shooting production, or minor in other divisions a g17 would be the way to go. depending on what you have in your area in the way of dealers a LE trade in might be found for a good price.

Police trade in G17. Cheapest ammo, cheapest reliable gun. It simply will not hold you back in production. Save the extra money you saved on the "police trade in" gun by getting extra magazines and some better sights. $30 bucks you can have a light enough and smooth enough trigger.

Get a G17, you've got your entire life to get a .40. For now, ammo cost will be your biggest cost, as well as learning the ins and outs of competitive shooting. So, get one, then learn as much as you can, and you'll be ready to upgrade later.

Btw, wish I had started at 15.....

Well, where do I look for police trade ins? I dont know of any places around here that do police trade ins, would calling the local PD and asking to speak to the armorer and seeing if they will sell them direct, or seeing where they sell them to be an option? How hard are Glocks to get apart and back together? I have field stripped one and cleaned it, but that was only the super simple way. How hard is it to change out the triggers? to get different pulls? How about sights, I know they are dovetailed into the slide, so you can get a punch and tap them out. What other kinds of sights would you reccomend?

Glocks are amazingly simple to fully strip down. The rear sight can be punched in and out or most any shop will have a sight pusher and can install in just a few min. For sights, the dawson ones are nice as are the sevigney. Those are probibally the 2 most popular ones out there

Have a link to the Summit glock 22s in my previous post.. they are 315 bucks

Edited by EkuJustice

Well, where do I look for police trade ins? I dont know of any places around here that do police trade ins, would calling the local PD and asking to speak to the armorer and seeing if they will sell them direct, or seeing where they sell them to be an option? How hard are Glocks to get apart and back together? I have field stripped one and cleaned it, but that was only the super simple way. How hard is it to change out the triggers? to get different pulls? How about sights, I know they are dovetailed into the slide, so you can get a punch and tap them out. What other kinds of sights would you reccomend?

Find the nearest big city. Find the Biggest Uniform Shop that only sells guns to officers. They won't sell you a new gun but they have a supply of trade ins. Thats what I found for a G19. I think it was $350

Edited by 98sr20ve

The magazines can be hard to take apart without a C-clamp or similar tools.

If your hands are still small like mine (glove size = small) I would get a lighter striker spring like a Wolff 4lbs; Because I don't have the finger strength/leverage to pull the trigger straight back on a stock pull.

The mag release on a Gen4 glock is easier to get to and press. You can get an extended mag release on a Gen3, but it can be too long and stab into your support hand. Something to think about.

I started with a Gen3 Glock19 and was slightly unhappy. Now I have a Gen4 Glock17 and love it, not holding me back at all. Got it for $522 new at a pawn shop, they have used glocks for ~$400. Good luck.

Summit Gun Broker usually has some.

No G17's at the moment, but they do have some Gen 2 G22's.

I bought a police trade in G17 from these guys. It was worth the $350 or so I paid but it was not in very nice condition at all. Lots of carry wear even compared to my competition Glocks. It was also an older 2 pin model as well. I sold it promptly and found a newer G17 used in the local classifieds for $425 that was like new.

Edited by jtischauser

The first issue is that you are only 15 and not of legal age to purchase a handgun under Fedaral law. A parent or legal guardian could purchase themself the gun and allow you to shoot it. Don't know if under VA law it is legal for you to be in possession of a handgun without an adult. I'd check into the laws in VA first.

Welcome to the shooting competitions.

Another vote here for the G17. I am finding thta it is my go to gun now. I don't even shoot my limited gun any more because I like it so much. I would get about 8 mags and pouches/belt/holster. You will have a bunch of fun, and not be giving up much in production division at all. Leave it stock save the sights, and you will be happy you bought it. It will be a GTG pistol that will have little to no trouble functioning properly.

I love mine.

JZ