Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start with content, not device. Look at what's available for each and price out 10-20 books you would like to get and compare. About half the books you look at should be older works you "have always wanted to read/reread" to compare price and make sure they are available.

Also, don't be fooled by the techo-lingo. There are three Kindles, WiFi Only, WiFi and 3G, and DX (bigger screen). The 3G version is $50 more and the only thing extra you get is the ability to download almost anywhere as opposed to mainly from home. So, you are paying $50 for the convince of downloading a new book while on the train or something - big woop.

As for the Nook, there is a new color Nook but exactly how much color do you need to read a printed page. Remember, these things are still not Internet browsers - if that's what you want, get an iPad.

P.S. Don't forget that books are linked to a specific reader. You cannot exchange them with your friends. That ups the overall cost of e-books over paper.

Edited by Graham Smith

Start with content, not device. Look at what's available for each and price out 10-20 books you would like to get and compare. About half the books you look at should be older works you "have always wanted to read/reread" to compare price and make sure they are available.

Also, don't be fooled by the techo-lingo. There are three Kindles, WiFi Only, WiFi and 3G, and DX (bigger screen). The 3G version is $50 more and the only thing extra you get is the ability to download almost anywhere as opposed to mainly from home. So, you are paying $50 for the convince of downloading a new book while on the train or something - big woop.

As for the Nook, there is a new color Nook but exactly how much color do you need to read a printed page. Remember, these things are still not Internet browsers - if that's what you want, get an iPad.

I have zero interest in the iPad or the Nook Color. I want the E-Ink screen, as LCD screens are impossible to read in sunlight and cause eye strain during long reading sessions. Reading books is the ONLY thing I want an e-reader for. I have a laptop and an Android phone for the "other stuff".

I looked at both the Kindle and the Nook for my wife. I went with the Kindle. Technically they aren't very different. I looked at the source of the content. B&N may be stable now but in my opinion Amazon will be around long after Barnes and Noble.

Did not spend the extra $50 for 3G.

Isnt it true that with the Kindle you can only get nooks from amazon? the Nook you can download from wherever, and any pdf will do. This is just what i heard this weekend. My fil got a nook and loves it.

the Kindle will not read EPUB format (free "loaner books found at various online libraries)

google kindle vs nook and check out the cnet review..

I got a nook for Christmas and I like it way more than I thought I would.

The nook interfaces with my PC as a flash drive and I can put any .pdf and view it. The base unit has 2gig of memory, with a micro SD card slot. I found a 4gig micro SD card on Amazon for 7.00 that allows the unit to hold around 5k books. The WiFi connection is very easy to set up, once you have internet connection it is almost to easy to get new books.

The only problem I have is now I want to convert my entire library to the nook.

Isnt it true that with the Kindle you can only get nooks from amazon? the Nook you can download from wherever, and any pdf will do. This is just what i heard this weekend. My fil got a nook and loves it.

the Kindle will not read EPUB format (free "loaner books found at various online libraries)

True. Kindle can only buy books from Amazon. Nook can only buy books from Barnes and Noble. Kindle will not read EPUB but the content on epub is limited and wasn't a factor for me.

True. Kindle can only buy books from Amazon. Nook can only buy books from Barnes and Noble. Kindle will not read EPUB but the content on epub is limited and wasn't a factor for me.

Not quite right about the Nook.

There is a good reason for checking available content. Barnes and Nobel is attempting to do something that Amazon cannot - combine electronic distribution with brick and mortar. You can go into a Barnes and Nobel and use their WiFi to browse both e-books and hard cover before purchasing. The Nook can also read content that the Kindle cannot.

But keep your eye on Google - they have opened an e-bookstore and their books are viewable on Android devices, computers, and Adobe e-book readers such as Nook and Sony. They are trying to arrange to partner up with booksellers to offer them a chance to sell Google e-books via their stores.

So, while Amazon still has the lions share of the market, the hounds are nipping at their heels.

Edited by Graham Smith

I fly, a lot. Two or four flights a week is my normal work week. When I looked at the Kindle, Nook, etc I had to take this into consideration. Board the plane, turn the device off to take-off, turn it back on, read, turn it off to land, etc. I borrowed a friend's Kindle for weekend and decided that for the type of reading I do, paper was still the best media. I can always just stuff a paperback into my pocket.

So you not only have to take into account CONTENT, but also your reading habits.

I fly, a lot. Two or four flights a week is my normal work week. When I looked at the Kindle, Nook, etc I had to take this into consideration. Board the plane, turn the device off to take-off, turn it back on, read, turn it off to land, etc. I borrowed a friend's Kindle for weekend and decided that for the type of reading I do, paper was still the best media. I can always just stuff a paperback into my pocket.

So you not only have to take into account CONTENT, but also your reading habits.

What was the issue with it? Battery life?

Not quite right about the Nook.

There is a good reason for checking available content. Barnes and Nobel is attempting to do something that Amazon cannot - combine electronic distribution with brick and mortar. You can go into a Barnes and Nobel and use their WiFi to browse both e-books and hard cover before purchasing. The Nook can also read content that the Kindle cannot.

To clarify what I said, each can only BUY content from their respective stores. Yes, the Nook can read epub format. With the amount of books available, epub wasn't a factor for me. Kindle has more content, free and purchased, than she could ever read. I also like the physical keyboard on the Kindle and the longer battery life.

Yes, you can go into a Barnes and noble store and browse their books on your Nook for up to an hour. ( While their brick and morter stores are around ;) )

Flex,

It was not so much an issue with the device itself, as an issue with electronic devices and airplanes in general. With a paperback I can read without interruption where the Kindle/Nook/E-Reader/Andriod has to be turned on and off at times based on the flight function going on. I know its only a few minutes here and there but I found it enough to be annoying to me personally.

But my main point was that you need to consider your own reading habits and how a Kindle/Nook/etc fits into them as part of the buying process.

To clarify what I said, each can only BUY content from their respective stores.

And that is what I think is wrong. Google ebooks can be read on a Nook but not on a Kindle, same for Sony ebooks. Sony and Nook can also read Library ebooks - not much available yet but it's a growing market.

My point is that the Kindle is a great device and pretty much cornered the market, but it may be too restrictive for it's own good. The war is quickly becoming about content and the device(s) that can read the widest variety of content will likely win in the long run.

I split the baby, bought a Kindle for our D-i-law and a Nook for our daughter. Each fits their distinctive reading needs.

Me, I may opt for the Nook Color as it can be rooted to accept Kindle, then I can have both.

Flex hit it right on the head. This is an emerging transitional technology and all purchases should be based on near-term considerations, not possible developments. This from a former devout Betamax owner, live and learn.

Got my wife a Kindle 2 a year ago and she's become addicted, therapy may be warranted. :rolleyes:

We just got a Kindle 3 for our daughter for Christmas. Opted for the 3G add on because my wife has found it to be pretty handy while traveling and even around town. The Kindle 3 is smaller overall than the Kindle 2 but with a slightly larger screen. Very nice piece of equipment.

We looked at the Nook and all major alternatives before settling on the Kindle. No experience that would make me hesitate saying you can't go wrong if a high quality e-reader is your desire.

Best of luck and happy New Year to all!!!

:cheers:

Just to throw gas on the fire, there are already several Android Tablet PC's on the market and you can expect to see more (and lower prices) at CES 2011. One of the interesting things about Android is, like the Apples, there are a number of apps available that will read ebooks. Kindle, Barnes and Nobel, Google ebooks all have Andriod apps and my personal favorite, Audible audiobooks, do as well. Of course, there have been complaints that tablet PC's can be hard to read in the bright sun, but that may be over rated.

Just to throw gas on the fire, there are already several Android Tablet PC's on the market and you can expect to see more (and lower prices) at CES 2011. One of the interesting things about Android is, like the Apples, there are a number of apps available that will read ebooks. Kindle, Barnes and Nobel, Google ebooks all have Andriod apps and my personal favorite, Audible audiobooks, do as well. Of course, there have been complaints that tablet PC's can be hard to read in the bright sun, but that may be over rated.

LCD screen are impossible to read comfortably in bright sunlight. I 100% want an e-ink reader.

I got the Kindle wi-fi, at the price I think its a great deal. I have been buying books from Amazon for years and the price difference on the printed vs e-books has pretty much paid for the cost of the device already. I also have the USPSA rulebook on mine, just drag the .pdf into the Document folder on your Kindle (connected to your Mac/PC via the USB).

As Flex said, the technology is changing and I fully expect to be using this device for only a couple of years before some standards/commonality start to arise.

I have a Kindle and find it to have some distinct pluses and minuses:

Pros

- Love the battery life

- Screen is really easy on the eyes

- I can carry multiple books backpacking at the weight of a single paperback

- If you want a run of the mill fiction book and aren't picky about the specific book or author, there are a some good books that can be had for under MSRP

Cons

- E-reader market hasn't shaken out yet, will my content end up being worthless in a few years? I don't buy expensive books in e-format yet.

- No secondary market for content. Most books are full price compared to much less for secondary market paper books.

- The loaning constraints are too strict (can only loan a book 1 time and only for 14 days)

- Overall expensive compared to paper books. I spent $2-$5 per book for used paperbacks. After reading 50 books @ $8 average, plus $130 for the reader, you're at over $10 each. So far I'm doing a little better than that, but still more

Overall I'm satisfied.