Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My My, what a large ejection port you have Grandma

GentlemanJim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought a box fed made in USA shotgun was considered either a Destructive Device (DD) or Any Other Weapon (AOW) by the ATF???

A DD as defined by the Gun Control Act is any gun with a bore over .50" EXCEPT for shotguns with sporting purposes. Shotguns that are non-sporting must be ruled so by make and model number.

the USAS-12, Stiker-12, and Street Sweeper were all ruled DDs by make and model.

Someone selling just an upper could not legally be a DD, as the upper is not considered the firearm. If it fits on any .308 lower, there's no real legal avenue for them to say someone putting an upper on their lower at home is a DD....if someone were to sell complete firearms, different story.

Looking good Jim!

Steel, you'll have to wait until the R&D is done. Working on a few things to "change" SG, but can't let all the kittens run around just yet.

I'll b all ears especially if it can be made to work with other lowers than th rra

I don't have the money to be the first test case.

I think you know what I mean.

Whenever something gets ruled a DD after it has been sold there will be an administrative procedure/time frame for registering it or selling it/surrendering it. In the case of the USAS-12 it could be removed from the NFA by simply taking off the barrel; the barrel was the defining feature. Without the barrel it was just another title 1 gun. Worst case you have to sell your upper to someone who does want to bother with registering it.

I personally wouldn't care if a mag fed shotgun was a DD so long as it was reliable and built to last. Pretty much all the states I go to for matches allow DDs and registering one is the same process as all other NFA weapons. The biggest drawback is the need to file a form to take it out of state, so you'd have to plan farther ahead.

Also as long as 2 and 5 round mags are available for hunting use, I think they'd have a harder time saying it is a DD. Sporting purposes = hunting, trap and skeet to the .gov. What we do is considered "combat games" based on previous court rulings.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Traveling paperwork is no problem. The form is good for one full year, some people will fill one out for every state they might possibly go to and then pick a date each year to renew it on. SO say every march 1st you know that you need to submit your paperwork to the gov to travel ... and then you are set till the next year.

With all due respect, Jim is still in the R&D phase. We've been talking about a lot of different aspects over the last few weeks and I've strongly encouraged Jim to get this creation of his pushed onto the front burner. I've done quite a bit of ATF research but nothing has been applied for yet. Let's wait until the prototype is working and an ATF compliance review has been done before anyone gets all in a tizzy. I assure you that Jim will follow all the rules and I would not be involved in something that was not totally legal either.

I just can't wait til 2011, I think it is going to be a little crazy. :surprise:

Edited by MarkCO

With all due respect, Jim is still in the R&D phase. We've been talking about a lot of different aspects over the last few weeks and I've strongly encouraged Jim to get this creation of his pushed onto the front burner. I've done quite a bit of ATF research but nothing has been applied for yet. Let's wait until the prototype is working and an ATF complinace review has been done before anyone gets all in a tizzy. I assure you that Jim will follow all the rules and I would not be involved in something that was not totally legal either.

I don't think anybody is saying you guys would. I think we are all excited about a AR platform Shotgun! :cheers:

This is just a prototype :rolleyes:

It does show great potential

I have solved all the major problems, and have test fired the first proto I built.

The last real hurdles are ejection related and the decisions on who will manufacture a few small parts for me

If and when I do sell this, it will be uppers and mags only

Your feedback on the project is appreciated

Jim

I don't think anybody is saying you guys would. I think we are all excited about a AR platform Shotgun! :cheers:

I hear you. And if you've ever been around me when I shoot shotty's, you know I have not been their biggest fan. Maybe it's the 3K rounds of shotgun I shot this year, but I can't wait for my first shotgun stage in a match in 2011!