Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My girlfriend just bought herself a new car. She normally gets three keys because she always ends up loosing at least one of them. While at the dealership today to install her alarm I asked the price of a third key. They wanted $ 90 for the new key and $ 130 to program it.

When she bought me a new Fusion last month I read the owner's manual. It tells you how to program in extra keys. So, I bouth her third key, came home and was able to program it within 30 seconds. I can't believe that they charge so much for something so simple.

I went into an ACE hardware recently and noticed they had a sign saying they can make copies of chipped keys. Not sure if they do all types of cars but I woudl have to think if they did it would be cheaper than $90?

Neal in AZ

Thats America for ya, rather than publicly hang car thieves, we mandate all kinds of expensive antitheft devices and force the non thieves to foot the bill.

Somehow I don't have a problem with crime deterrence rather than letting it happen and hanging the thieves afterward.

I'd rather have my truck and its contents than get to watch someone die and never get back my possessions.

But perhaps I'm different than most.

It was so easy to program. Put in your first key and start the car for six to ten seconds. Turn the car off.

Start the cars with the second key for six to ten seconds, turn the car off.

Put in the new spare key and start the car. From that point on it's programed. You don't have to pay anyone anything. Glad I RTFM.

Pretty much all keys except the super high end ones are user programmable. I learned this with a Subaru WRX I had. The dealership wanted me to bring it in and leave it ALL DAY and they told me it took "a good while" to do. I pulled over on the side of the road and found the instructions online on my phone and had it programmed in about 30 seconds.

Edited by spanky

I buy a regular "unchipped" key at the local hardware for $1.29 and keep it for emergency entries. The unchipped key will at least get me into the car to retirieve the actual key. I've heard that the unchipped keys may start the vehicle once, but then the computer will no longer allow the vehicle to work. I don't know if this is true or not. :huh:

If you look on-line for the chip'd keys (Ebay is one source) they usually send the directions to program them. Not all cars are the same.

Have done this with multiple cars and trucks for a fraction of the cost anyone will charge to do this for you. It's crazy that dealers and other

shops get away with charging that kind of money.

+1 for a unchipped key to open the door lock should the main key be locked inside. all i need to do is get into the car, then ill have to the proper key.

Keyless entry :devil:

unless you lock the keyless remote inside the car, then you'll need something other than a rock to get that door open :sight:

+1 for a unchipped key to open the door lock should the main key be locked inside. all i need to do is get into the car, then ill have to the proper key.

Keyless entry :devil:

unless you lock the keyless remote inside the car, then you'll need something other than a rock to get that door open :sight:

Sorry I meant the Key pad on the outside. With truck running/not running I can use key pad to open door. BUT if truck is running the remote will not work.