Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship 2011

Charles, Just to clarify your question, a shotgun with shells in the tube and the bolt closed on an empty chamber may/will be slung. They can be slung however the shooter wants to. There will no call in the situation you describe.

Kang8r, There must be a certain amount of care taken not to sweep everyone behind you when bringing any firearm into play, and I am cannot make a blanket statement that would cover every situation.

gose, All firearms must be abandoned on safe or unloaded. All others will earn a stage DQ.

Also, any weapon abandoned pointed in an unsafe direction will earn a match DQ regardless of the safety. For example, tossing an unloaded pistol into a bucket which somehow lands pointing up into the air or uprange, is an unsafe act.

FYI -- As far as I am concerned, there is no box, bucket, table, piece of carpet, or any other inanimate object where a firearm has been abandoned that is to blame for such a firearm falling or being off safe. The shooter is solely responsible for placing the firearm and making sure of its condition before they leave the area. Take the time needed to be sure you and your firearms are safe.

Semi-sorry for the rant, but there you go.

Andy

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clears it up for me.

Thanks

Charles, Just to clarify your question, a shotgun with shells in the tube and the bolt closed on an empty chamber may/will be slung. They can be slung however the shooter wants to. There will no call in the situation you describe.

Kang8r, There must be a certain amount of care taken not to sweep everyone behind you when bringing any firearm into play, and I am cannot make a blanket statement that would cover every situation.

gose, All firearms must be abandoned on safe or unloaded. All others will earn a stage DQ.

Also, any weapon abandoned pointed in an unsafe direction will earn a match DQ regardless of the safety. For example, tossing an unloaded pistol into a bucket which somehow lands pointing up into the air or uprange, is an unsafe act.

FYI -- As far as I am concerned, there is no box, bucket, table, piece of carpet, or any other inanimate object where a firearm has been abandoned that is to blame for such a firearm falling or being off safe. The shooter is solely responsible for placing the firearm and making sure of its condition before they leave the area. Take the time needed to be sure you and your firearms are safe.

Semi-sorry for the rant, but there you go.

Andy

Andy as a slight follow up to this what is the rule on the muzzle when the chamber is unloaded before you first charge it and enggage targets? For example you start with your shotgun loaded with the chamber empty. The shotgun is slung and in the process of running down range and using your pistol you break the 180 with the muzzle of your slung shotgun. What is the call?

You seemed to say that was OK in an earlier post but wanted to make sure.

Based on personal experience, break the 180 with even just the muzzle of the shotgun when slung, it's a match DQ. I'd expect the only exception is if the shotgun is known empty or condition 3 and had not been fired on the stage yet.

At least I got a match DQ for that, with an empty shotgun and open chamber.

Edited by homeyclaus

"5.6 Certain firearm supporting devices may be prohibited by the Match Director.

5.6.1 Supporting devices that risk excess damage to props or pose a risk to shooters are prohibited. (i.e. the Hedgehog and like products are not allowed)"

What is a hedgehog like device?

Also, can we use a light attached to our pistol for the cave stage and if so, can we remove it/ change holster after that stage?

"5.6 Certain firearm supporting devices may be prohibited by the Match Director.

5.6.1 Supporting devices that risk excess damage to props or pose a risk to shooters are prohibited. (i.e. the Hedgehog and like products are not allowed)"

Also, can we use a light attached to our pistol for the cave stage and if so, can we remove it/ change holster after that stage?

I just saw a Hedgehog the first time this weekend = it looks like 1/2 of a meat tenderizer screwed to the side of the gas block . the shooter jambs it into the barricade to control the up and down movement

Thats what I was told any way, not real way to use it on my stage this weekend.

As to the hedgehog, I think this is what they are talking about: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=k9-556&cat=147&page=1&search=&since=&status=

On the question about the light, at least last year the answer would have been no since I recall someone else asking.

Just noticed no Kurt Miller on the squad list. What happened to the harden up stache?

He and his iron sights are afraid of me.

There will be two prismatics - and now, there can only be one.

Muhahahah :lol:

Look forward to meeting you in person Mr. Neal! :cheers:

Are the ticks and poison oak etc really that bad that I absolutely need to wear long pants? Do I have to ditch my cleats and drench my legs in bug spray?

I didn't remember any poison oak. It only takes 1 tick. The ones you need to worry about aren't the commom brown tick, but, deer ticks, which are about 1/16th" in size. Don't forget, it's a natural terrain match, you'll be walking through grass and such. All great tick cover. I used a product called Tick Block. It doesn't repell them, it kills them.

Sorry Dan, but there is plenty of poison oak showing up this time of year. The ticks aren't as bad this year though -- only averaging around 3 a day!

Match News:

Stages are 90% set up and ready to go. We are still waiting on a few supplies to be delivered.

Friday night after shooting we are going to have a spaghetti and rigatoni dinner with salad and garlic bread available for $6.00 a plate. The meal includes live music and complementary frosty beverages -- New Castle and Killian.

Unfortunately, Mark has had to cancel his Saturday night performance due to a commitment in Texas. However, we have a great local band to fill in after the Wounded Warrior Auction.

See you all soon!

Andy

+1 for the "Tick Block" = you wash your clothes in it as a treatment. it repels Vampires too

any way I did my long baseball typ socks pants shirts = I did find some dead ticks on my socks at night. The year befor was very unplasant hunting at night to remove the diggers.

Sorry Dan, but there is plenty of poison oak showing up this time of year. The ticks aren't as bad this year though -- only averaging around 3 a day!

Andy,

Just because I don't recall poison oak, doesn't mean it wasn't there. Last year, the rain cut visibility down a bit. :D

Charles I forgot which airport we meet the plane--and your sippy cup that you left will be at the front desk atRockCastle

Thanks to the hard working staff getting things ready inside and outdoors!!!!!