Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B brass

900_DRIVER

I have some once fired S&B (Sellior&Belloit) brass. (9MM) Some one told me they have a different primer pocket and it doesnt look like the other brass i have.

Should i try and reform it ( i think that is called swaging )

is it a pain or should i try it? i have a rock chucker so would i need some special equip.?

only about 200 pcs of brass so maybe its not worth the effort.

thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For only 200 I would pitch it. I used to mess with S&B but I eventually got enough good brass collected that now I just throw it away. Here is what I know about it.

It is pretty good brass quality wise BUT:

It has tight primer pockets so you need to ream or swage it or it will eat primers.

Check it with a magnet. S&B is very good at making steel casings look just like brass casings.

Hope this helps

For only 200 I would pitch it. I used to mess with S&B but I eventually got enough good brass collected that now I just throw it away. Here is what I know about it.

It has tight primer pockets so you need to ream or swage it or it will eat primers.

Check it with a magnet. S&B is very good at making steel casings look just like brass casings.

Hope this helps

+100 about checking with a magnet. I just sorted about 500 9mm cases this afternoon, stuck a big speaker magnet in the bucket, ended up pulling about 200 S&B's out cause they stuck to the magnet. Looked like brass to me though.

Personally... I HATE that brass. I can't for life of me understand how some people have no issues seating primers in that brass and yet whenever one of them slips thru the cracks on me, I end with a primer half inserted or crushed...

Hope this helps

Looked like brass to me though.

Uncanny ain't it?

Personally... I HATE that brass. I can't for life of me understand how some people have no issues seating primers in that brass and yet whenever one of them slips thru the cracks on me, I end with a primer half inserted or crushed...

I just loaded a bunch in 38special. It was a pain with FED primers. Winchester were no problem. i think the FED were a little wider. My 686 trigger hasnt been lightened, so it will work with the Win's. I'll trade off or shoot the S&P at a lost brass match and hopefully the next batch I buy wont have that many S&B's or I'll just ream the pockets as suggested.. i didnt check them with a magnet yet.

I am loading S&B 9mm with no problems or extra work. I have had problems with WCC even when I re-swage the pocket. Go figure :-)

Regards

Mike

Double post, sorry can't figure out how to delete it.

Edited by GlockOp

Hope this helps

+100 about checking with a magnet. I just sorted about 500 9mm cases this afternoon, stuck a big speaker magnet in the bucket, ended up pulling about 200 S&B's out cause they stuck to the magnet. Looked like brass to me though.

If it sticks to a magnet, then it has a brass venier over the steel case.

Edited by DinosaurMikeGolf

Hope this helps

Really? Never would have figured that out :rolleyes: ....Ferrous and non ferrous metals ya know....

It's all good, just yanking your chain new guy! :cheers:

For the record S&B Brass coated steel cases cost me a class win at the Gator. Use the magnet and anything that sticks is bad!

No fooling, kidding, etc. I am still loading S&B non steel brass to 9 major and shooting it once and letting it go!

Hope this helps

Really? Never would have figured that out :rolleyes: ....Ferrous and non ferrous metals ya know....

It's all good, just yanking your chain new guy! :cheers:

No problemo!

• 9 months later...

Same for me. I just love it when I get my dillon jammed up because there's a half-seated primer in a s&b case. <_<

I'm stubborn and refuse to deal with it purely because of those fond memories. I have pounds of that stuff I'll put up in the freebie section eventually (I'll be sure to run a magnet through it first).

off topic, but I remember (10 years ago) factory S&B having a very distinct sweet-smelling powder mix, kinda like the smell of Unique.