Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old para ordinance/what to do with?

fudd

I've got an old, I think, Para Ordinance 45 that takes a 15 round mag. Bought it from a Deputy Sheriff before hi cap ban was passed in CA. It has to be old it has a Remington Rand slide and lists Ft. Lauderdale Fl. and Canada on the receiver. Would like to tune it up, I drool everytime I see a SVI, STI or Brazos custom etc. gun. They are so purrrty I just want to fondle them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Since I had ownership before ban I should be able to send it to have custom work done.

Thanks in advance.

Just had a brain fart what do you guys think about tuning up the gun on the inside and leaving the exterior as is. I am not a shooter yet. But would maybe be willing to lend it to a good shooter to run some matches just to fake everyone out just for the fun of it. But if I did that the shooter would have to video the matches and post here on the forums. All depends on the cost, I may have some funny money laying around to trick out the gun. I have had a few good years farming and with my accountant I usually am able to right the guns off.

Again just a thought. :devil:

inside tune up??? like a trigger job?? as i recall the early para's have the series 80 linkage in em and are not really easily converted back to series 70 type triggers, on the other hand, there was...dont know if she(yes i said she) is still in business called guncraft out of florida somewhere, who had at one time specialized in doing a 'pivot' type trigger forthe para that made it shootable, past that i dont know what your looking for??? i know when i first got into practical shooting, i used a .45 i call hodge-podge, because it had odd-ball parts from all over, no-name slide with a set of millet sights on it the rear looks like a fighter plane on the deck of a carrier ready to take off hehehe trigger??? its pretty bad compared to what i shoot now, but was all i had at the time and got me out of 'D' class after a time

The Remington slide probably doesn't have the firing pin block in the slide,the frame might still have the series 80 levers or a spacer. And it's really easy to remove all the series 80 crap and put a spacer in to make it a series 70. As for tuning it up, you could get a drop in trigger group from several manufacturers, put the series 70 spacer in if it's not installed already. As for the rest, it depends on the condition off the parts -barrel, sights,springs and other small parts. Maybe you can post some pics :cheers:

A good smith can add new sights, do a tj and tighten things up a bit. I still compete with a Para in .45 built up the same way yours is (I also have a P16 that I have used recently but the .45 cal holes are easier for my old eyes to see at distance!) . Dawson +3-4 base pads and a mag well fitted would be helpful also.

FWIW

Richard

inside tune up??? like a trigger job?? as i recall the early para's have the series 80 linkage in em and are not really easily converted back to series 70 type triggers,

Actually, the conversion will cost $4.95 + shipping ;)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

You leave the stuff out of the slide and use this product where the 2 levers go and you are good to go.

later,

Chuck

yeh no kidding I dont know where calishooter came up with that one, To go from a para 80 serries to 70 series it takes a $5 part and about five minutes with no modification to gun so you can put it back. Can you get full capacity .40 S&W mags in cali for the old gun ? If so I would have a 40 topend built for it. If you cant get mags keep it a .45. Put a new recoil spring in it and take it out and shoot it at 25 yards for accuracy and reliability, It may not need anything.

Well, as the OP stated, it has what sound like an old GI Remington Rand slide on it, so it does not have series 80 parts. One of those older conversion frames with generic parts on top.

I would take it out and shoot it, and see if its reasonably accurate and reliable. If so buy 4 or 5 more mags for it, and a decent holster rig. Bring it out and shoot it as is.

Once you have shot it in a few matches, you'll know what you want to improve.... a trigger job, and better sights would be tops on my list. At some point you'll want extensions on your mags to get 18 rounds or so if USPSA, IDPA you'll be good t ogo with the stock mags. A magwell may be in your future later if you get serious, Paras are kind tricky to reload with out a lot of practice due to the big square mags...

While on the subject of the series 80 spacer,some are drop in and some you have to fit. I purchased a spacer from Dawson and it need fitting in several areas. It was too thick, so I decreased the thickness and polished the side that touches the hammer/sear to a mirror finish. Now the one from Brownells is a drop in and can be too thin and leave some space in between the hammer/sear and the spacer,letting things move around a little. Brownells sells spacers now to fix this problem.

Also, if you intend to carry this gun DO NOT remove the series 80 safety system. If this pistol is a competition/plinking pistol go ahead and do what you want. :cheers:

It's even cheaper than that.

Cut the leg off that lifts the FP plunger (a good and noble use for a Dremel tool). Radius the edge where the material was removed to ensure no burrs and you're off to the races.

Leaving the levers in still will add some resistance to the trigger pull.

The gunsmith kits (frame + 1 mag) came with the Series 70 spacer to be used if needed. Based on the slide on the gun, its a good chance it already has one in it.

I still have several old Paras and would not hesitate to take one to a match. In fact, until my switch to STI several years ago, I competed with a 9 x 21 Para in Open. When I retired the gun, I also retired several thousand rounds of major ammo. Its now a backup gun if ever needed.

I didn't notice anyone mention it, but the hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring and mainspring are straight out of the 1911 catalog. Not a problem getting some top quality parts for that trigger job.

Bill

Just had a brain fart what do you guys think about tuning up the gun on the inside and leaving the exterior as is. I am not a shooter yet. But would maybe be willing to lend it to a good shooter to run some matches just to fake everyone out just for the fun of it. But if I did that the shooter would have to video the matches and post here on the forums. All depends on the cost, I may have some funny money laying around to trick out the gun. I have had a few good years farming and with my accountant I usually am able to right the guns off.

Again just a thought. :devil:

Share some pictures with us ;)

Thanks for all info. This gun was built by the deputy sheriff for a DA investigator friend, the grip safety had already been disconnected. I bought it just to have it. I can get some hi cap mags in a round about way but person needs to know model and I have no idea. Will try to post some pics this weekend. Just need some advice on how to post pics. You guys are great I used to come home and veg out if front of TV but now spend my time increasing my knowledge on these forums.

Thanks again

Jerry

If that is a really old para frame, I would check if it's steel or aluminum before you drop any money in it.

the original gunsmith kits para sold were aluminum, and would crack under the kind of use we put them thru.