Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Limited 2011

Wild Gene

What are wait times for some of the custom gun builders out there?

I am curious. (read "tired of waiting and ready to get on the phone, or order from another builder") My order will be 8 months this weekend.

Thank you very much.

Geno

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im about to send some parts off for a build, looks like itll be about a 5-6 month wait. the build may not take that long itself, but cusom smiths can only do so much and need to schedule out a ways.

I just checked with Infinity this week, their current wait time for a new pistol is 12 months.

HOLY CRAP! I guess I'll be patient a bit longer.

I am curious about Benny Hill, Brazos, and some of the others.

Predator is about 2-4 weeks depending on specifications.

Thank you so far.

was 'promised' by a major gun makers then new and up an coming 'custom shop' 6 weeks, got it in 16 weeks, and it wouldnt run for love or money, they said it needed to be broken in, which i did(900 rds) turns out the extractor had been undercut, they said send it back, we'll getto it in 4-6 weeks... best case senario was 4 weeks, i went on a cruise and when i came back my FFL said he had somthing for me...i was SHOCKED, and it ran out of the box!!!!!!!!!

Edited by calishootr

When you are truely ready and have the cash up front, you can get some of the co's above and MANY others to finish a gun in 2-7 months.

Via Email, phone, or in person, after negotiating the price:

if I hand/overnight you an envelope with cash or money order paid in full, can you finish my gun in 2-3 months?

Most I have worked with will at least knock off half the build time. Some will say they can do it 2-3. When you spend $4-6000 on a gun up front, you have some leverage.

if I hand/overnight you an envelope with cash or money order paid in full, can you finish my gun in 2-3 months?

Most I have worked with will at least knock off half the build time. Some will say they can do it 2-3. When you spend $4-6000 on a gun up front, you have some leverage.

:huh:

Yeah, but who in their right mind spends $4-6000 on a gun? I could see $4000 MAYBE .... on a high-end open gun, but I'd still have to think real hard about that even. :roflol:

:huh:

Yeah, but who in their right mind spends $4-6000 on a gun? I could see $4000 MAYBE .... on a high-end open gun, but I'd still have to think real hard about that even. :roflol:

Yep. I'm with you. I can have a master like Tripp build a gun for $3k... why would I pay more?

One of these days I'm buying a Cheely. Matt's guns are impressive.

Yes some waits are exceptionally long and some prices exceptionally high. If the smith has the customers who are willing to pay and wait so be it.

My opinion is that I will pay a decent price for good work, but what has become invaluable to me the three times I have had custom guns built, is that the smith gives me an accurate wait time when I order and then keeps up communication. The ultimate is the ability to hit the delivery time without the requisite "only two more weeks" excuse that always turns into a few extra months.

I have had excellent luck with both Dan Bedell and JP....absolutely spot on wait times, communication, and beyond flawless execution.

A new SV open gun will ring in at $5k before adding a finish, as will a Brazos. Derek will build you a 6" gun for $4k.

Matt is very reasonable, is very artistic and has some pretty fast turn arounds. STI custom shop tried to charge me $4800 for a limited gun.. I would love a tripp built gun, or a Dawson Patriot, but I think you have to be part of a special club to get a tripp built gun.

GANS does great work super fast too, reasonably.

What's a limcat cost? $6-7k??? Wait time 2 years? How about JVD? $5k 18 months...

JJ makes beautiful guns quick and reasonably, as does Benny Hill.

The topic wasn't price. It was wait times. I just wanted to include that big money gunsmiths with long wait times can be persuaded to push your project ahead.

Edited by 818-DVC

A new SV open gun will ring in at $5k before adding a finish, as will a Brazos. Derek will build you a 6" gun for $4k.

Matt is very reasonable, is very artistic and has some pretty fast turn arounds. STI custom shop tried to charge me $4800 for a limited gun.. I would love a tripp built gun, or a Dawson Patriot, but I think you have to be part of a special club to get a tripp built gun.

What's a limcat cost? $6-7k??? Wait time 2 years? How about JVD? $5k 18 months...

The topic wasn't price. It was wait times. I just wanted to include that big money gunsmiths with long wait times can be persuaded to push your project ahead.

JVD? jv dynamics?

Point well taken. My only thought was that there are plenty of gun smiths out there now who will build a gun for alot less, and it would seem those are the same smiths that are doing it faster than everyone else too. Maybe demand plays a big part in BOTH price and wait time.

The only 'special' club I'm in is that I asked. Tripp owes me no favors, nor has he ever.

My point is that there are VERY talented smiths that don't require the monster pricetag and monster lead time. Max just won all 8 Area matches with a Bedell, right? Velocity lists the Bedell Open rig starting at $3450 and his turn around is pretty darn quick. I had a buddy order a limited gun from him last summer and I think it took 9 weeks.

I don't see the value in spending twice as much. I followed the super squad at A8 and watch JJ and others struggle with their Limcats.

Yeah. Jojo.. Beautiful guns. Very spendy. Took a looong time.

Yeah his going to build me a limited gun..

getting the process started, he didn't say anything about 18 months dough...

I'll double check with him on the time frame he gave me :)

cheers,

Los.

I can only imagine that the time frame would very wildly from order to order...

this guys are usually small operations so I'm guessing it's all a matter of how busy they are when you order you gun :)

cheers,

Los.