Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for my first J Frame

RevolverJockey

I have decided to pick up a J frame for carry. I will likely not shoot it a lot, but would like to be able to shoot a few cylinders in a day and will probably never try shooting more than say 50-75 in one sitting. I am a big guy and recoil is not an issue for me specially if there was a .357/.38 scenario and I could practice with the specials. Price really isn't an object nor is longevity - assuming it is well made and I shoot only about 300 rounds a year or so, it should outlive me. Nothing is off the table 9mm, 9x21 conversion, .357, comped - whatever, just want something ~20oz or less. I do realize the limitation of such a platform and would not be saving the world with such a gun, but I also realize that if 5 rounds can't solve the problem, there really wouldn't be time/reason to reload. I think I want something with speed loaders vice moon clips because I shudder to think about the cost of 9mm moon clips. I cast my own bullets and can load any caliber. Any thought would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I've been lusting after the S&W 340, the scandium frame, titanium cylinder .357 ever since they came out.

Currently liking the 340PD with it's black finish. Might add Crimson Trace Lasergrips.

Yeah, there's a M&P 340CT that comes with Lasergrips, but it has a stainless steel cylinder and weighs a couple ounces more. :closedeyes:

Firing .357 Magnum from an 11.4 ounce (13.3 ounce for the M&P 340CT) gun might not be a lot of fun, but the ultra light weight would have definite advantages in terms of concealment (doesn't sag in your pocket, etc).

Edited by mgood

Lee,

Not to confuse the gun choice but I have a S&W Airweight and a Ruger LCR, both in .38 special.

I have no doubt that either gun will handle the shooting you want with ease. I just recently got the Ruger but after putting about 300 rounds down range with it I find it much preferable to the Smith.

I have never been much of a Ruger fan but first the trigger is noticeably better making the gun much easier to control and get good hits with. Second, given the same load the Ruger definitely feels softer from a recoil standpoint. Finally when you throw in that it is pretty easy to find the Ruger for $350 dollars while any of the lightweight Smiths are running $500+ I would have a difficult time choosing another Smith.

Additionally for your role the .38's will usually be priced slightly less than the .357 models. Given that there are some excellent defensive loadings available (Hornady and Speer) designed specifically for the short guns I wouldn't worry about going with the .38 special.

A friend of mine brought up a good point, anyone have any experience with a 442 Pro - the 38spl +P model cut for moon clips? The are a little more than the standard model, but cheaper than getting one cut down the line if I decide I want that feature. Also looked at TK and they make clips. I already have a clip straightening tool so they would last forever if I bought ten. Keep the ideas coming. I want to have my FFL order something probably this week.

Lee

As I sit here with a 442 loaded with 125 +Ps in my pocket I think I know what I would recommend. :rolleyes: Mine is not cut for moonclips but given how long it would take to reload a little J even in the best of conditions my theory would be to just do a NY reload from another pocket. Much, much faster.

I use a 340 M&P. Very happy with the gun. I would not use something cut for moon clips. I prefer to carry with speed strips for loading since they are very flat and concealable. Speed loaders and moon clips will not conceal as well. The change pocket in your jeans is a perfect spot for speed strips with 5 rounds. Also I would suggest staying with 38 or 38 +p at most. 357 mag in those small platforms is a waste since you don't get the velocity out of short guns. I use the speer short barrel 38+p gold dot but may switch to the Buffalo Bore 150gr hard cast wad cutters once I get my hands on some. Corbon DPX also works really well but is very expensive.

S&W 640 - concealed hammer - a little heavier than some j-frames but much more enjoyable to shoot .357 Mags.

+1

That's what I got my wife for her main carry gun. It's heavy enough you can shoot some hot .357 out of it without killing your hands, but light enough that it's not a pain to carry. I've looked at the 340 a couple of times, and while it would be okay for me, it would be too light for her. R,

As I sit here with a 442 loaded with 125 +Ps in my pocket I think I know what I would recommend. :rolleyes: Mine is not cut for moonclips but given how long it would take to reload a little J even in the best of conditions my theory would be to just do a NY reload from another pocket. Much, much faster.

In my case it's a 360 M&P loaded with corbon 100 gr powerball. I use the comp ones and two of them fit nicely next to my wallet stacked atop each other in the other pocket. The recoil is snappy and the gun is loud, but I think the first shot at something less than 1450fps will be enough. It is not that bad to reload quickly just remember to pop the ejector rod and all the brass is cleared. Loads easily with comp ones, but I did have the cylinder chamfered.

If price is no object . I would of for one of the new J frames with upgraded sights, either Ashley Express of F.O up front.

Good call. I forgot to add above that I had Dave at D&L Sports put a set of night sights on my wife's 640. Sorry about the off-center front sight in the last pic...hard to line up with a camera!

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart

Something to think about, what makes a j frame hard to hide is the width. Moonclips (which i would think would bend up in a pocket) or speedloaders aren't much easier to conceal than a 2nd revolver. I carry speedstrips, but they're really, really slow.

I usually carry an sp101 in an IWB holster, but I download it with speer short barrel 135grn 357. Full power stuff will twist the gun in my hand, and force me to adjust my grip between shots, unless I have a really good grip and dry hands. They are probably the heaviest 5 shot .357s ever made, keep in mind. Full loads are also super loud and not much faster than .38 out of the little gun.

Sometimes I pocket carry the wife's 642, bought on sale for $350 new. I can't shoot it as well as the sp101, and I can only shoot it reasonably fast with the boot grips if I'm shooting a really weak load. +p's make the grip shift, just like full magnums in the sp101. I put a full size hogue rubber grip on it for her, and that makes it controllable with any .38, but it also makes it too big for a pocket.

I've shot the scandium/ti guns, and I would never carry .357 in them. They're only marginally lighter, but nearly twice the price!

I haven't shot the Ruger lcr, but the only downside I can see to those things is the looks! Yuck!

I've shot one of those 340 PDs w. the Ti cylinders. It is the most difficult gun I've ever shot. A 500 S&W w. a 4" barrel has less felt recoil, and is easier to recover from. As is my 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan.

W. 38 specials, they're fine, but I don't see how you could fire one fast enough for SD purposes, when loaded w. 357 - perhaps if you put a full-size grip on it, but that doesn't seem practical.

I've shot one of those 340 PDs w. the Ti cylinders. It is the most difficult gun I've ever shot. A 500 S&W w. a 4" barrel has less felt recoil, and is easier to recover from. As is my 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan.

W. 38 specials, they're fine, but I don't see how you could fire one fast enough for SD purposes, when loaded w. 357 - perhaps if you put a full-size grip on it, but that doesn't seem practical.

+1

I got a 340 pd 4 or so years ago and it is extremely easy to carry, with baggy jeans and a soft holster no one's the wiser.

When i bought the gun i got a box of standard .38's and a box of +p's for carry, out to the range and shot 5 of the regular loads to see where it hits. Shot 5 rounds and thought to myself , boy this sucker stings a bit. Loaded the +p's and shot 1 round and unloaded the gun, enough of this sh#t :wacko:

Fast forward to the middle of this year and i STILL have the original box of ammo in the garage, had to requalify for my ccw so off to the range i go. Shot the required amount of rounds to pass ( 25-30 ?), a gal in the class wanted to try it out so i let her shoot a few.

Ended up with 2 rounds in that box, what did i do ? Took it home of course. :roflol:

If price is no object . I would of for one of the new J frames with upgraded sights, either Ashley Express of F.O up front.

Good call. I forgot to add above that I had Dave at D&L Sports put a set of night sights on my wife's 640. Sorry about the off-center front sight in the last pic...hard to line up with a camera!

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

What a sweet setup. Improved front sight is great , but the rear sight really puts the icing on the cake.

What a sweet setup. Improved front sight is great , but the rear sight really puts the icing on the cake.

Thanks...that's exactly what I thought as well. I should note, it seems to work just fine with all the holsters we've tried so far, even with the taller FS. The first time I took a sight picture, I thought "man, this is like a set of Bomars". I should also note that when D&L does this work, he has you send your choice of carry ammo. He shoots it, then adjusts the front sight height for POA/POI at whatever distance you want. It came back hitting exactly to POA. The one downside...it's not cheap :o

The way I figure it, J-frames are for fairly deep concealment, which generally means pockets and ankle rigs. If I'm going to use a holster, I might as well strap on something a little more substantial than a snubby. For those deeper concealment applications, lighter weight and corrosion resistance are big advantages. Thus my J-frames are the airweight and airlight models, and I generally load them from my old stash of Winchester +P+ Treasury loads, which I find to be the best compromise between performance and reasonable levels of recoil.

I would say I am the farthest thing from a purist you could be. I like function and fit; looks are way down on the scale. I will say the LCR is one of the ugliest handguns I have ever seen and the grip seems a little too fat for me, but I am not opposed to a polymer revolver. My local sporting goods store got in a Bodyguard 38 and this gun seems to fit a lot better and even looks niceish. It has a built in laser to boot and runs about 90$ more than a standard 442 would. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Lee

I would say I am the farthest thing from a purist you could be. I like function and fit; looks are way down on the scale. I will say the LCR is one of the ugliest handguns I have ever seen and the grip seems a little too fat for me, but I am not opposed to a polymer revolver. My local sporting goods store got in a Bodyguard 38 and this gun seems to fit a lot better and even looks niceish. It has a built in laser to boot and runs about 90$ more than a standard 442 would. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Lee

I don't have experience with the new Bodyguard 38, but I do have experience getting the side of my thumb cut up shooting a Model 36. This is something that has been alleviated on the new Bodyguard, as the cylinder latch has been relocated to the top of the frame. Should be a 100% improvement over the old style.

When the LCR came out, I thought it was the worst thing on the face of the earth. A Glocked Revolver!?! Sacrilegious!!! (Plus the only guns Ruger manufactures that AREN'T ugly are single action) But when looking over the .38 Bodyguard, alot of the new design aspects make alot of sense. The laser is mounted inline with the bore, instead of down by the trigger guard.

Check out Youtube and do a search of any model you are looking at. There are hundreds of review vids.

The way I figure it, J-frames are for fairly deep concealment, which generally means pockets and ankle rigs. If I'm going to use a holster, I might as well strap on something a little more substantial than a snubby. For those deeper concealment applications, lighter weight and corrosion resistance are big advantages. Thus my J-frames are the airweight and airlight models, and I generally load them from my old stash of Winchester +P+ Treasury loads, which I find to be the best compromise between performance and reasonable levels of recoil.

All true for most average sized men (or larger). My wife actually wanted to carry something bigger, but she's so petite (barely 5'2", 105lbs) that it wasn't happening. That's why we tried to make her 360 into something of a bigger small gun.

Reading this still makes me want to get one of the 340s for the outer pockets on my winter coats...nothing like having firepower already in hand when you need it. R,