Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing a RDS or 1xScope for 3gun?

DocMedic

At what range would you zero the center dot of a RDS or 1x scope at? I'm Thinking I might pull the Accupoint off and throw on my CompM4 Aimpoint on my JP to see how I feel about shooting targets at further distance without Magnification, If I can tolerate it I might try a different 1x scope setup. What are your opinions?

CompM4 is a 2MOA dot.

I guess that depends a bit on the ranges you'll be shooting at.

Somewhere between 200 and 300 probably...

I'd start at 50 yards then check it at 200 to see where that puts your load out of your rifle... An initial 50 yard zero ought to yield a zero between 200 and 250 depending on your setup. It would also be a good idea to crono your load as well so that you can plug it in to a ballistic calculator (several on-line) and get a drop chart.

I like the one at http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Edited by caspian guy

• 1 month later...

New to rifle shooting, and sorry for the stupid question, but how big ahould the target be for a 300 yrd zero without magnification, js hitting a 10 in plate considred good, or am i trying to hit a 6incher- if i can even see it?

New to rifle shooting, and sorry for the stupid question, but how big ahould the target be for a 300 yrd zero without magnification, js hitting a 10 in plate considred good, or am i trying to hit a 6incher- if i can even see it?

To sight in, I try to use a white piece of cardboard about 3 feet square, and put a big "plus" on it with 2 inch black/dark colored duct tape. Gives me something to aim at that I can see from 300 yards, and kinda be accurate about it...

should be able to hit a 6 inch target at 300 yds (a brown IPSC metric head ripped off and stapled to the white side center of the body) once its sighted in, at least thats my goal anyway...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I always sight in for Fifty Yards but keep my scope dope to change from 100-200 yard sight in. I have the Burris XTR which BDC works well enough that I have no issues sighting in at fifty and engaging targets out to 300-400 yards. It all depends on the match. I also have the red dot on top if I want to run Open then I use that but always sight that in for 15 yards with the scope set at fifty.