Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many M&P shooters used to run a Glock?

midvalleyshooter

I started with a G17, the switched to a G34 since that extra .9" was going to make me shoot WAY better--it did not. I shot it in IDPA SSP than got bored and switched to USPSA Production, but I could never get used to the aweful feel of the grip.

I recently got an M&P 9, and I LOVE it. I put the APEX Competition AEK, the APEX RAM, Dawson FO Front sight, and a Warren Tactical Rear sight. I am about to order some X-Treme grip rubberized decals to make the back strap a little "grippier."

It fits my hand perfectly, runs reliably, and points where I aim it, not high like the G34.

I am not flaming the Glock, but I love the M&P alot more now!

I ran a Glock in 9mm with a modified backstrap (so it would point correctly), but only for 3-gun... the modified grip is illegal for USPSA Production. I tried an M&P9 but did not like the trigger so I gave it to my son. When the Apex trigger came out, I jumped on it - in fact, I like it so much I bought myself an M&P9 Pro which I now use for both 3-gun and Production. The trigger still does not feel as smooth as my old Glock, but my match scores don't lie... I place as well/better with the M&P than the Glock.

I must say, though, that if Glock had gotten their heads out of their rear ends and gave the Gen4 a real modular grip (i.e. a 1911 grip angle option) I would be running a Glock today. Oh well, Austria's loss is Springfield's gain I guess. B)

I have a M&P FS 9mm with the Apex sear as well as some Glocks (17, 22, 35). I find I shoot the Glocks better at this point and I am thinking about ditching the M&P.

I initially wanted the M&P Pro but after hearing about some problems with them, I went with the FS model and it has been 100% reliable, but I just find I like the Glocks better.

All of us. I would be surprised if there was someone shooting an M&P who had not shot a Glock to some extent. You might check with the S&W shooting team! lol

I fit that rare category: I'm a relatively new shooter (~2.5 years) and live in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. Glocks don't meet our AG regulations so they are only available in face to face sales and tend to carry a price premium.

My hits with the Glock were good, but my reloads were lacking due to the grip angle, I had used 1911 style guns for over 40 years. Bought an M&P Pro and my hits are about the same, but my reloads are better.

No reliability issues other than it does not like Wolf small rifle primers which I bought during the shortage. Runs flawlessly with Federal or Winchester small pistol primers.

I have shot Glocks before although never in a match, and im still very new to the USPSA. However i use the M&P 40 for production and love it. I have never had any problems with it, but as I said. I'm very new to the sport. I just hope to keep the rounds going down range...So far so good :rolleyes:

I've probably owned 8-9 Glocks over the years. Still have a soft spot for the G27 as a carry piece. As far as gaming or just range use, it's the M&P for me though. Ever since I was shooting a G35 in USPSA Ltd. and had a trigger freeze because (my hands being smallish) I did not quite get the pivoting part of the Glock trigger. I thoght my gun had locked up. I much prefer the ergo's and pivoting trigger amongst other things of the M&P.

How many of you that run M&P's used to run Glocks? What factors made you switch? I run a G34 with a G17 back up and I am considering getting a M&P to try out.

Thanks,

Keith

You'll find enough anecdotal evidence to justify a decision either way. Both are reasonable choices for this class of gun. For most it comes down to what they shoot best. Those that have switched most often will cite that the M&P fits their hand better, points better, etc. The best advice I could give would be to try it out and if you like it... go for it. You'll be able to find vocal proponents and detractors for both.

I run the M&P Pro with Burwell's standard trigger job with Dawson adjustable sights on it. I love it. My only issue with my M&P's has been the occasional slam charge that didn't strip a round. Dan Burwell convinced me to quit seating my mags so hard (causing this behavior) and the issue went away. YMMV... try it and see for yourself. Everyone is different. As an aside... I have no problems finding after-market parts and accessories. I think this angle tends to get waaaaay overblown.

Mike

Edited by mjoy64

I have had a G17 for about 10 years now. Never really liked the grip angle or trigger. Reliability was not up to par, nor was accuracy. Since I could out-shoot it with both of my Kahrs, my XD, and my M&P, (Actually about every other gun I own shot better) I recently sold it. Wish I had kept my G26 because it was reliable and accurate.

I have been shooting my M&P 9L in production after a few seasons with my SIG All Around. The SIG is more accurate but I can shoot the M&P faster and smoother with

good results. Now for Action Pistol, I will stay with the SIG because the added accuracy

makes a difference in that game. But for USPSA, the M&P is hard to beat. Plus with TF basepads, the mags hold 23 and that makes it a slick choice for outlaw 3 gun.

Mine only has a few tweaks- Dawson sights, some grip tape, and a little polishing inside of the stock parts.

I have had one fail to fire with the M&P and that was a high primer on a reload. Otherwise it has been 100% since I got it.

So put me in the M&P fan club.

Craig

Enjoyed the reliability of Glock's. Then I purchased a S&W99 which was similar to the Walther P99 and was impressed with their ergonomics and trigger. I switched to the S&W M&P for the improved ergonomics and trigger when compared to the Glock line.

i chose to buy the M&P PS 9mm over the Glock 34 recently. i love glock but like several guys have said before, the M&P is everything the glock could be (thats just my opinion, the last thing i wanna do is piss of the glock community). plus im a lefty and the M&P is fully ambi'd.

on a side note, i have also been thinking about 4.25" with the safety for a carry gun, anybody have any experience with that model; likes, dislikes.