Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many M&P shooters used to run a Glock?

midvalleyshooter

How many of you that run M&P's used to run Glocks? What factors made you switch? I run a G34 with a G17 back up and I am considering getting a M&P to try out.

Thanks,

Keith

I am a Glock shooter (G34 Prod/G17 Backup). I switched to an M&P in Prod for a short while thinking that the replaceable backstraps would help my shooting by providing better ergonomics. I ended up switching back to the Glock after a few months and my wife inherited the M&P. She loves it, I don't...

I've been shooting a G34 for about 7 years; I can remember one malfunction over that time. I have an M+P9 full size, apex sear, like the grip, like the trigger, like the accuracy. But it’s like a beautiful woman, too much time cleaning, primping, and moody (I can expect at least on failure per match). I'm spoiled by the Glock, never needs cleaning, trigger is OK, grip is so-so. Most importantly it "runs" no excuses. I think I am done trusting the M+P.

WOW, You are probably not hearing what you expected! But I have to agree with most of the other replies so far. I started with a pro and had issues with reliability. I went to a Glock 34 and can't make the damn thing NOT work. I also like that everybody makes all kinds of aftermarket stuff for the Glocks whereas the M&P's are far behind in that regard.

There are guys out there like Dan Burwell who can do magic with the M&P. But that should not be needed with a production gun.

Some are having the exact opposite experience with their M&P's and love them. But there are just too many who are not right now.

Went from a Glock 17 to an M&P 9L.

Main reason for the switch was grip ergonomics. I'm one of those people that get major slide bite from Glocks, beaver-tail on the M&P prevents that entirely. I can also reach the mag release and get better leverage on the trigger with the 9L w/small insert.

Contrary to a lot of people who switched I haven't had any notable reliability issues with the 9L in 11K rounds. I does require more frequent lubing & cleaning however... I could go 1000's without cleaning the Glock. The M&P starts getting sluggish and a little sticky (esp at the barrel hood / breech face lockup) around 600-800 rounds.

i started with a sigma(ewww) and then went m&p had that for about a year. shot one match with my buddys g17. now i have 2 g17's a 24 and 2 other glocks for carry. and my wife shoots a g17. the sigma went in the trash and the m&p was given to my brother who shoots once a year or so. it didnt point well. sights sucked and i had a few jams with it but have never had one in any of my glocks.

I switched from Glock to the M&P and its been the best decision I have ever made. I shoot the M&P a lot better than I have shot the Glocks. I have not had any reliability issues with my M&P's. I have carried the Glock on duty for over 10 years and the switch was a tremendous improvement on my qualification scores.

I too started off with a Glock. Then went Limited and SS exclusively (2011/1911) for 3 years. Bobby K let me borrow his 9Pro and figured I'd give Production a try again. The M&P is everything I like about Glocks, but nothing I hate about Glocks. Grip angle, Glock Knuckle, crap trigger etc. I don't mind working on my competition guns. I'm using the large back strap but I thinned it down on the sides and made the back flat. I only wanted to fill the web of my hand (under the beavertail area) and the large is the only one that does that. Indexes very very close to my 1911 based guns. Trigger actually breaks lighter than my 2011.

It isn't perfect. My extractor went south last match but I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. Fortunately it's just as easy to work on.

I'm using the large back strap but I thinned it down on the sides and made the back flat. I only wanted to fill the web of my hand (under the beavertail area) and the large is the only one that does that.

You're sure thats a production legal mod? If so I'd be interested in trying something similar.

i shot glock years ago, then only kept one around the house. now i shoot all M & P. so does the wife she always hated glocks. when she was learning to shoot glock would ALWAYS stove pipe, that was about 8 years ago, this year at the nationals she tryed the gen 4 and got a stove pipe on the first mag. the 2nd went okay.

Hmmm, interesting take on it. I guess I consider 'stippling' distinct from re-profiling (i.e. thinning & flattening). Didn't know non-permanent played a role in it either.

Thanks.

Been shooting a Glock 35 for several years, but thought I'd try an M&P Pro because of the ambi slide release and my Glock's habit of retaining mags at the worst possible time. So far the M&P seems to be a nice change to the Glock.

How many of you that run M&P's used to run Glocks? What factors made you switch? I run a G34 with a G17 back up and I am considering getting a M&P to try out.

Thanks,

Keith

I know quite a few people that were running Glocks, switched to M&P and now they are back to running Glocks.

I shot Glocks for about 7 years competitively. Won an M&P, my sponsor worked on it and I liked it so I won two more. I shoot the gun just a little bit better than the Glock. Not a lot but every percent counts. My wife also switched and it made a big difference for her.

I went the slightly different route of Glock to Sig to M&P. The Glock just did not fit my hands, and even with trigger work I couldn't shoot is accurately as my Sig. The Sig had the added bonus of a reversible mag release but the disadvantage of a DA first trigger pull. The M&P to me has all the the advantages of the Sig and Glock platform with none of the disadvantages. YMMV :cheers:

I sorta, kinda did that. I have five Glocks, but three of them are duty guns. Instead of using one of those, I bought an M&P Pro....they just point better for me. My Pro had a few issues with extraction in the first couple thousand rounds, but a slight tweak to the extractor, and an extra power extractor spring seems to have resolved that issue completely. What's funny is that my buddy just got his G34 (new) set up for Production, and he's had a number of malfunctions with factory ammo that really surprised me. R,

I'm using the large back strap but I thinned it down on the sides and made the back flat. I only wanted to fill the web of my hand (under the beavertail area) and the large is the only one that does that.

You're sure thats a production legal mod? If so I'd be interested in trying something similar.

(sorry for the thread drift)

Careful, I doubt that is legal for Production.

Appendix D4

22 Specifically prohibited modifications

22.2 any addition or removal which changes the factory profile

Eric

Edited by eric4069