Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast Bullets in your CZ

Jody Waring

Seen this topic in the Glock section, so thought I would start the same topic here. Just curious who is, what bullet, weight, loading data, etc... and overall experiences. I might shoot some this upcoming year to keep costs down. Look forward to hearing your replies!

Jody, due to the tight chamber in the CZ series, you may be limited to 122 LFP and not RN bullets, due to design they have a shoulder and the bullet will be into the rifling with a 125 LRN.

Get some in the bullet weights and see what OAL you will have to run with dummy rounds, then that will tell you how much case volume you have to load what powder you want.

I have always thought when I get a CZ in 9mm I would have the Gunsmith run a leade reamer in the chamber so my normal ammo at 1.135OAL would chamber ok.

Just play with them and see what will run reliably in your gun.

I would look at Solo 1000 and WST for powder to run with uncoated lead bullets!

Good luck,

DougC

precision bullets' 124 grain worked good for me, but made me feel like james bond with the smokescreen they put out. i used win 231 and solo 1k. the solo was better, but i no longer have that load data. you can also try black bullets international, i thought about trying them since they sponsor shooters. otherwise, i stuck to zero 125 jhp just because it's about the same or less price through internal channels here. a few have reported good luck and non-smoky results with bayou bullets, but last i remember they closed their website because they couldn't keep up with the explosion in popularity. they are in operation, but not accepting new customers i think.

I can likely order from the usa but likley would have to import myself, which wouldnt be a big deal. The more I think about it, I can forsee the short throat being an issue, as I had numerous issues with plated and jacketed bullets. A conical bullet would be the ticket, or one with a shoulder giving some "room". I suppose getting some samples and experimenting would be the best thing to do.

I actually have a LEE mold that is a 120gr Conical bullet with a single grease groove. I am sure I could seat them short enough to chamber, but how short of an OAL is too short for reliable feeding? What I have been doing thusfar since I bought the Shadow, was find the OAL that chambered comfortably, BUT started the charge weight well below what the book called for, then just increased in small increments until I reached the velocity I was after, paying close attention looking for any signs of pressure. Might give some of these a try, I recall a while back someone on the forum was casting using the Lyman 147gr mold and was having good results. Should I stay away from Titegroup with the cast bullets?

"Instant smokescreen" LOL! That's what I thought. 231 and cast bullets in my .45 isn't bad at all, so maybe 231 might be a better alternative? In my region of Canada, I pretty much have access to Hodgdon and Winchester powders, VV is available, but not something I can pick up locally at a shop.

I have run about 1000 125gr Bayoubullets thru my Shadow with 3.9gr of N320 seems to be accurate and as clean as Jacketed. If it smoked I didn't notice.

Same here. I have no trouble loading 125GN RN lead in any of my CZ'S. Mine were from Missouri Bullet Company.

I run 130 gr Black Bullets in my Shadow with no problems. I don't have any buildup in the barrel at all, and they are very accurate. I load to 1.1 and use Solo 1K.

Another local shooter runs THESE lead bullets run through a Shadow with no problems.

My best results with lead bullets in my CZ 85 Combat have come with Oregon Trail's very hard lead bullets (122gr truncated cone) and N-320 powder. However, since these bullets are more expensive than Zero bullets, I shoot jacketed almost exclusively in 9mm It seems that any standard 92% lead 6% antimony, 2% tin bullets, whether straight lead or moly coated, seem to leave lots of deposits in the barrel that affect accuracy after about 75 shots. I attribute this to the barrel's fairly fast twist rate and the higher pressure of 8mm loads.

That said, some of my favorite plinking loads are 135gr and 147gr lead (or moly coated) bullets with N-320 powder.

On the other hand, I get very good results with almost any kind of 200gr .45acp hard cast bullet in my CZ 97b.

Chris

Earlier this year, I was shooting Missouri Bullets 125 gr. LRN(Small Ball) with good success. I loaded it to 1.125" OAL over 3.4 gr Clays (not Universal Cays - just "Clays"). It's an accurate load from my Shadow and had no signs of overpressure - but it DOES smoke! Missouri Bullets are also very reasonably priced, and they usually ship right away.

To avoid the smoke, I've since gone to Zero 124/125 gr. FMJ's - which give me a lot less smoke. I'll probably switch again to their JHP's and avoid smoke altogether, IF I can ever find any.

After a 200 round barrel break in with jacketed, all I shoot now is cast in my 75B .40. I have had good luck with both air cooled and water quenched wheel weights.

Titegroup works for some, others claim major leading and smoke. Titegroup builds pressure fast and can make softer bullets skid instead of bite. I think you need to worry more about your lube than powder for smoke. Are you using a lubrisizer or liquid? If you are planning on lubing with Lee Liquid Alox...plan on smoke. If you don't have access to a lubrisizer, try tumble lubing with Johnson's Paste Wax available at the hardware store. It works just as well as alox but with significantly less smoke. If you have access to a lubrisizer, you will have best results with Lars Carnuba Red. It is one of the best lubes on the market. It is available here:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Match your hardness and lube to your velocity, but as always, fit is king. Make sure the bullet is .001-.002" bigger than bore and you will be good to go.

• 1 month later...

Fit is definitely king. My barrel slugged out at .401. Anything under .402 leads terribly. I've had good results with water quenched bullets sized to .402 and lubed with a 50/50 mixture (by weight)of parrafin wax and vaseline with 2 tablespoons stp engine treatment over 6.0 grains of hodgdon longshot.

Jody, if Berry's plated bullets are not working for you for some reason (I don't see why thou), talk to Bob B. (Canuck44 on CGN), he loaded and shot some lead thru CZ guns and is Canadian (thou on West coast). He's IDPA guy and an older gentleman, so be respectful :P

Just my two cents, Frontier are a great choice for plated. From my TS/IPSC to SA 75 .40 to 9mm SP01 & 85 Combats, they are fantastic accuracy wise. I don't exceed 1.125" on any load and the 9mm's I load at 1.050" to 1.075" OAL. My experience has been, "keep em short"'. They aren't super consistent in head length but it doesn't as they are as accurate as the Hornady bulk head I ran exclusively prior to reading some of Eric Grauffel's emails on the Frontier products, just Greta.

Jon

I am shooting 147gr BBI and they shoot excellent thru my Shadow. I tried some lead bullets the other day but did not seem to shoot as well. Not sure why but it really likes the BBI's.

I am shooting 147gr BBI and they shoot excellent thru my Shadow. I tried some lead bullets the other day but did not seem to shoot as well. Not sure why but it really likes the BBI's.

I just tried some Precision (moly) 124gr TC with AA#5, #7, WSF, HP38 and VV 320. They all smoked pretty good, especially during rapid fire. I think AA#5 and VV320 were the best. Precision are fine in my 45ACP but no luck yet in 9mm.

• 3 weeks later...