Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I enter a match yet?

BhmJeep

well....crap! I had typed in a long response here, but my phone ate it. arrghhh....

anywhooo, long story short, you probably don't know as much as you think you know about gun safety.

you need to go into this match with a very open mind and ears and pay attention to every word the RO tells you.

I know I have a lot of learning to do in saftey as well as everything else. I am, if anything, ALWAYS trying to learn and never a know it all. Always been that way.

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did go and watch the match at Steel City this past Saturday, (took my 15 year old son also). It was a lot of fun to watch but we froze out there!! It was 34 degrees when they started at 10am.

I am on the south side of B'ham down in Alabaster. I go out to the Helena Wildlife Management Area 2 or 3 times a week right now. Thinking of joining Steel City.

Mike

Mike,

Not only should you go and shoot, but take your son and have him shoot also. I started mine over two years ago (his is 15 now) and he is having a blast. This year he is going to shoot his second WSSSC, and his second High Desert Classic (it is all he has been talking about). I started him with a Sig P6 (P225) in Production, then moved him on to an XD40 and now all he wants to shoot is a Springfield loaded 1911. As long as he can follow basic safety instructions, he will be just fine and the added bonus is some really great bonding time with your boy, I know that from personal experience. So get out and shoot, bring the boy and have fun.

Jim

Well I met AR Gunner at his range, FOP in Pleasant Grove and all I can say is WOW.

Ken is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is a patient teacher. I was absolutely overwhelmed with all that goes on during a run on the COF. Ken drilled safety, safety safety into me and then taught me some safety lessons.

I was nervous in the beginning but began to feel better as the day progressed. I have a long way to go but I am going to have a great time on my journey. This is a very very fun, but challenging game.

Now the down side, I have to get into shape (my current shape is round and aerodynamic). We set up a COF and AR Gunner would fly thru in 12 seconds and here I come poking along at 30 seconds. And AR never even snickered at me.

Anyways, Thanks AR Gunner, and to everyone else on this forum. This is going to be a fun trip!!!!!!

Mike

30 Seconds today, 29 seconds tomorrow......

Well I met AR Gunner at his range, FOP in Pleasant Grove and all I can say is WOW.

Ken is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is a patient teacher. I was absolutely overwhelmed with all that goes on during a run on the COF. Ken drilled safety, safety safety into me and then taught me some safety lessons.

I was nervous in the beginning but began to feel better as the day progressed. I have a long way to go but I am going to have a great time on my journey. This is a very very fun, but challenging game.

Now the down side, I have to get into shape (my current shape is round and aerodynamic). We set up a COF and AR Gunner would fly thru in 12 seconds and here I come poking along at 30 seconds. And AR never even snickered at me.

Anyways, Thanks AR Gunner, and to everyone else on this forum. This is going to be a fun trip!!!!!!

Mike

30 Seconds today, 29 seconds tomorrow......

Mike - definatley sounds like you are ready for your fist match. On average a Noob will take 4x the time of a good C class shooter, and that good C class is taking 2x the time of a GM, so you are doing real good for a Noob. (aka Newbe). In fact I thought when I saw this post it would be your report on your first match.

With safe gun handling practices already learned, there's absolutely no reason to hesitate. Just remember one simple rule: When in doubt, stop, keep the gun pointed downrange and your finger off the trigger, and ask the RO what to do. That's what he's there for, among other things.

H.

It sounds like you are gonna do great. For your first attempt, not too shabby. I am really slow myself, but like my mentor told me, "Screw speed. Be accurate, and keep doing drills. Speed will come with time." That has really helped my confidence, especially when I see some of our good guys flying through a course, and I muddle along at mid D range. Drills help a ton, and I can't wait for the spring when leagues start again. You will quickly become addicted.

David S.

• 1 month later...

If you do decide to just "WATCH" at match before you compete, bring all your gear! I planned on watching my first USPSA match a few weekends ago then breaking in a new pistol afterward. The friendly guys insisted that I grab my gear and shoot with them. I did and had a blast and am 100% hooked now. lol. Take it slow, don't worry about your score, help set up the stages and tape targets, you'll learn the course of fire as you do so and will earn brownie points with the other members and RO's. They will probably put you last in line (which is good)...you can watch the others shoot the stage before you and learn by what they do. When it's your turn, you'll be a little nervous but will know what to do.

and last but not least HAVE FUN!

Edited by Erik S.

• 1 month later...

If you do decide to just "WATCH" at match before you compete, bring all your gear! I planned on watching my first USPSA match a few weekends ago then breaking in a new pistol afterward. The friendly guys insisted that I grab my gear and shoot with them. I did and had a blast and am 100% hooked now. lol. Take it slow, don't worry about your score, help set up the stages and tape targets, you'll learn the course of fire as you do so and will earn brownie points with the other members and RO's. They will probably put you last in line (which is good)...you can watch the others shoot the stage before you and learn by what they do. When it's your turn, you'll be a little nervous but will know what to do.

and last but not least HAVE FUN!

Dunno if OP is still watching the thread hope by now he's been to a few matches. But in case other newbies are reading...Double + on what Erik wrote - jump in! I was confident of my safety skills (NRA trained as a boy scout, Army trained by Uncle Sam as a young man) but it had been a long time for me (had not shot since the Army and now I got a kid about to graduate). But bought a good pistol and signed up with USPSA, watched some match action & hints videos on Youtube (invaluable),read the rules & headed off to my first match this last weekend. It was a hoot. Main thing was as all said, listen, be aware of your muzzle, and help out. A good goal for first match: Don't DQ! Whatever you score it'll be a great experience.

Just jump in.

The water's fine!

I've heard a lot of people say, "I need more practice before I try something like that!"

Not true. The best and cheapest practice, and the most invaluable instruction you can get is in a USPSA match. Nothing will improve your gun handing and shooting skills faster tham getting involved now. An entire squad of folks will do everything they can to help if you just let them know you're new.

**If you say nothing they might stand back thinking you're an old-timer wanting space for yourself.

I honestly can say I haven't yet seen a sport where the competition works so hard to help you beat them.

I can say from experience, just do it. I'm no threat to anyone in competition but I entered Area 8 last year after only shooting to local matches. (Actually I entered after one, shot it after two matches.) I made it known to the RO's that I was new, but had no issues. Area 8 has a reputation of being a match "that thinks it's a National" but I was blissfully ignorant and had a blast.

I told then Area 8 director Alan Meek that I was going to enter Area 8 even though I was just starting, and his reply was "Why not?" I think that sums it up.

Remember the rules and help reset steel and paste and you'll make lots of friends.

Waiting to start going to matches was a mistake I made. A minor mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. I waited so long and practiced so much that the first classifier I shot was at B-level.

I also made the mistake of buying alot of equipment BEFORE I started going... I wish I would have just gone, and figured it out as I went along. You can always put spare magazines in your back pocket.

So I'm 45 years old, been shooting all of my life (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, and years of hunting) but never in competition. I know safe weapons practices; I know my limits and know when to keep my mouth shut and my ears open.

I have just started learning and practicing USPSA/IDPA style exercises, dry firing, shooting at different distances etc... I have never done any timing (no timer yet) or even practiced on an action course.

When should I considering entering into one of our local matches (there is one almost every weekend here in Birmingham)?

Mike

This weekend!!!

If you understand proper safe gun handling, and you can take direction... GO SHOOT!!!!!

LOL

Jeff

I was the world's best single-shot can shooter and was ready for anything....then I did a few local matches and discovered I couldn't hit squat if forced to pull the trigger quicker than my usual 20 seconds of prep time.

Match play is a fun game. And do not show up to watch without your firearm or gear, just show up and pay your $10. Heck, many first timers are free.

I've tried to put this another way for friends. I suffer no illusions that USPSA is "training" for anything. However, at the core of it, there are some transferable skills. If I have a friend who owns a handgun for self defense, it's my contention that what they encounter at an IDPA or USPSA match has some distinct similarities to what they should be prepared to do at any given time.

Buy an Uncle Mike's holster, bring enough magazines to hold 45 rounds or so (for your first match, who cares if you're shooting limited minor?), and go shoot. Stick your mags in your back pocket, and have a ball. By the next month's match, you'll have a mag pouch, probably a proper belt, and already be shopping for a new gun. :)

Edited by 59Bassman

When should I considering entering into one of our local matches (there is one almost every weekend here in Birmingham)?

Mike

When you are able to load your pistol, shoot your pistol, unload your pistol, and control where your muzzle is pointing.

Show up, say, "Hey, I'm new," and have fun!

I think this has already been inferred here, but it helps to actually TALK to the other shooters and be friendly. There was a guy at our last match who I tried to converse with and let him know that we were friendly and glad he showed up. He made absolutely NO effort to even look up from the ground to speak back. He said a few things but it was painfully hard to make him feel welcome. I know this may have had something to do with nerves but it helps to actually seem friendly and let the long time shooters know that you're trying to learn all you can and willing to accept help.

As a result of his quietness, he received very little help except with some safety issues that HAD to be addressed.

Okay, I can't help myself on the whole "clip" thing (it is meant in jest)!

Magazine_vs_Clip.jpg

Hey Bart...I love the analogy here it is quite self explanatory.

With reference to the firearms portion...a magazine has a spring and follower and a clip does not.

Do you mind if I use this photo in my next Hunter Education class?

The kids in my classes love photos and graphic displays.

Edited by LadyinBlue