Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Uspsa Website

Vince Pinto

Holy Crap! What happened? I was just there within the last 24 hours and it was business as usual. I haven't even gone past the index page yet, but I just had to come back here and say (it again), Holy Crap!

Way To Go USPSA, I can't wait to see if the store has been updated too. What next, FS delivered electronically and web registration for all of the Nationals? WooHoo!

--

Regards,

Wow! I had heard that this revamp was coming via one of the previous website related threads here and was hoping for something pretty cool and this revamp certainly meets, if not exceeds, those expectations!

Way to go Rob and company!

Holy Crap! What happened? I was just there within the last 24 hours and it was business as usual. I haven't even gone past the index page yet, but I just had to come back here and say (it again), Holy Crap!

Way To Go USPSA, I can't wait to see if the store has been updated too. What next, FS delivered electronically and web registration for all of the Nationals? WooHoo!

--

Regards,

I don't have electronic payments available yet, but Area 7 Championship shooters for 2004 are already going on-line to pick their squads - see it at www.uspsa.org/squadding.

Hi Rob,

Once again, Way To Go!!

I did manage to (mostly) e-register for the 3G Nationals by giving my Amex card to the office on the phone and then attaching a marked up PDF with a digital signature to an e-mail (you need Acrobat Full version to do this). I like using Amex for the mileage/points. It's like cash with a little something back. If you do much travel it pays off. Heck, I buy my groceries on Amex for the points too. Electronic squandering is a good thing sometimes :P

I love the new site design, keep up the good work. For a first publish, it's fantastic, now for the hard part, the rest! B)

--

Regards,

Ya, different. Different's good, but the site doesn't seem to be totaly working on my end. The images at the top (members...ect) aren't loading correctly. I can't see them. Only when I put the cursor over the blur do I know what the link is.

I love the online squadding thing.

...SAFE, FUN, FAIR shooting competition...

Ahem! Did someone forget the Combat? Mr. Boudrie?

For most people, practical shooting is pure sport conducted with little or no thought of the self-defense aspect of firearms use.

I keep reading - I keep finding more blasphemy. Heavens to Besty!

:P

Teething problems are to be expected. I am sure if we post anything we find amiss here, Rob will appreciate the info. I know from first-hand experience that any new/revised site launch is just a starting point for more work (and the real de-bugging to begin).

It is a fine effort for a first publish, and I am sure that over the next few days (hours even) many things will happen as if by magic.

BTW, before reporting a bug, try clearing your browser cache and then doing a hard re-load of the page before assuming it isn't a lingering cache thing in your browser.

Also, when a webmaster is doing a (sometimes frantic) series of updates, there will be times that a file just isn't there for a moment, or a link isn't correct until the balance of the revised upload overwrites all of the old files on the server.

...SAFE, FUN, FAIR shooting competition...

Ahem! Did someone forget the Combat? Mr. Boudrie?

For most people, practical shooting is pure sport conducted with little or no thought of the self-defense aspect of firearms use.

I keep reading - I keep finding more blasphemy. Heavens to Besty!

:P

Nope, all that stuff was in the template I was handed from the consultant. Before passing final judgement, please look carefully at the rotating photos on the home page and note that there is a target which is hard cover except for a designated "B" zone/

Uhh...Rob,

You know I'm joking, right? I really like what I see. It's super user-friendly and the new shooter introduction is a fantastic improvement.

Unfortunately, I still can't see your cool rolling picture on the homepage. It will never download for some reason.

Wow!

I'm one of those people. If I were ever forced to apply these skills can you imagine the paperwork that would ensue? I much prefer a golf club or a cast iron skillet for use in "practical" situations.

I like the emphasis on "safety" and "family."

Wow!

Time for credit where it is due...

The decision to use the services of a consultant to come up with a new look & feel was made by the marketing committee (President, Exeucitive Manager, A1 director and A8 director). They consulted me about this, and my reaction was "fine, as long as this person doesn't try to rewrite the data management features" (classifier upload, match posting, etc.). With that green light, they went ahead.

Johnnie Scoutten (yes, there is a relation) designed the look and feel of the menus, as well as the introductory writeup text. You can thank her for the "Safe, fun, fair family sport" slogan. The consulting arrangement was structured as a "one shot deal" - her job was to come up with a modern look for the site, get approval from Dave Thomas, and hand it over to me for the dirty work.

The only fundamental change we made to her look & feel was changing of the menu box text on the left from red to blue for greater contrast, and to help the color blind and a few minor tweaks to fonts and text sizes. I was glad I didn't have to re-do the "artistic" part.

This look & feel was delivered to USPSA late last year - I had to convert many other pages; integrate the dynamic code (classification lookup, etc.) and make a few changes for performance reasons. Johnnie used Net Objects Fusion for her work, so I obtained a copy and used that to pick up where she left off. Dave Thomas and I agreed to withhold intruction until I had a critical mass converted as we wanted to come pretty close to "getting it right the first time"

The site was working for me about an hour ago. Now I am getting problems like TDean is talking about

I don't know exactly what happened, but a re-upload somehow got botched. I kicked off another upload and that seemed to fix it.

Yes, it seems to be working well again. By the way the site is much improved. Good job!

Rob,

I like the new look too. Very streamlined compared to the old layout. One little thing...I didn't see an easy way to contact the webmaster on the site. I wanted to give you a heads up that for some reason the number 6 seems to drop off the map when you click on the Regional Areas map on the home page.

Rob,

I like the new look too. Very streamlined compared to the old layout. One little thing...I didn't see an easy way to contact the webmaster on the site. I wanted to give you a heads up that for some reason the number 6 seems to drop off the map when you click on the Regional Areas map on the home page.

The area 6 problem has been fixed, and "Webmaster@uspsa.org" is listed on the USPSA Staff page.

Rob